Ukulele strings losing volume?

McCall

Reaction score
Hello,
I’m a total beginner so please bear with me if this is a dumb question.
I got my first Ukulele about two weeks ago. It’s a Soprano with Nylon strings, just a cheap beginners Ukulele but it seems fine for me to learn and practice on.
I’ve been practicing about an hour a day, mostly strumming and learning some basic chords. Over that time the strings began to feel slightly more stretched and worn in as I’d expected.
Then about three days ago I watched a few tutorials on chucking. I’m getting the hang of it, but I also noticed that the strings quickly felt much more stretched and worn in.
It makes sense to me that chucking would stretch the strings pretty quickly, but the problem is that it sounds like the Ukulele’s volume has been turned down.
The Ukulele is in tune, it just seems noticeably quieter all of a sudden. Is this just a normal part of wearing in strings, or is something else going on?

I’d point you to try new strings...starting with the most common Aquila Super Nylgut (High G) or Martin 600 fluorocarbon.

This is a $6-$7 (sometimes less) common “upkeep.” Strings should last longer than a few weeks—but you never know what strings really come with inexpensive ukuleles.

Just a thought. Has your ukulele recently been experiencing high humidity? Wood is like a sponge and dampness can deaden the sound.

Just a thought. Has your ukulele recently been experiencing high humidity? Wood is like a sponge and dampness can deaden the sound.

That was my exact thought. There is no way only two weeks of playing has done anything to those strings. It takes months and months and months of really aggressive playing to effect strings in a negative way

But as Choirguy said new strings are inexpensive and at least it will give you peace of mind if you change them out. I usually get about 6 months out of a set of strings

Last edited:

Thanks for the suggestion. I guess its possible, though the area I live in is not particularly humid. I'll pay more attention to the humidity level though and see if I notice anything.

My guess would also be humidity, but it is possible that the cheap strings did wear out. If volume matters, I'd give Aquila Red Series strings a whirl., though any of the common sets will likely sound much better than the stock strings. Location can also matter -- ukes will seem quieter in larger rooms and louder in smaller rooms, some objects reflect sound waves better while others absorb them, etc. (And on some days nothing changed but my perception.)

My guess would also be humidity, but it is possible that the cheap strings did wear out. If volume matters, I'd give Aquila Red Series strings a whirl., though any of the common sets will likely sound much better than the stock strings. Location can also matter -- ukes will seem quieter in larger rooms and louder in smaller rooms, some objects reflect sound waves better while others absorb them, etc. (And on some days nothing changed but my perception.)

I'm with Mivo on this one. Strings don't just wear out over night. Heck, maybe it's sinus congestion plugging up the ears. I think there are a lot of outside forces that can attribute to how one hears their ukulele from one day to the next.

Top Bottom