ukulele reading

ripock

Reaction score
This morning, after playing my ukulele, I was sitting on my porch and thinking how I really would like to be able to read and study some material to contribute to my musicanship.

My only requirement is that the material not be dumbed down. I may be ignorant but I am not stupid. So things with "For Dummies" in the title or things like "music theory for computer musicians" is out of the question. I was thinking of getting something addressing topics in music theory, jazz, blues, or Americana music. I have Jerry Coker's Improvising Jazz book and I like it a lot, except that it seems really old and I was hoping to get something more contemporaneous.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

The Advancing Guitarist by Mick Goodrick.

Composing and Improvising by Jon Damien

Hal Leonard publishes some good stuff for smart people.
Harmony & Theory – Part 1: Diatonic
https://www.halleonard.com/product/viewproduct.action?itemid=312062

I never thought of Hal Leonard even though my scale book, my chord book, as well as a Lil Rev riff book all come from Hal. Hopefully I can be one of the smart people...at this point in time I don't think I've earned that sobriquet (I was having trouble transitioning from A to D today without looking although I did nail the A to Adim7; sometimes I have to wonder what the heck my fingers are thinking).

Bill1, thanks for that very informative discussion of Rhythm Changes. I have been intrigued by that ever since I heard a discussion of that same subject on the Real Jazz radio station. It was reinforced by a workshop handout from Sarah Maisel. I have been meaning to get into it further. I think I will make it a project this summer to get a deeper understanding of Rhythm Changes and how to improvise on top of the chords.

Thanks again.

Well, Ok then! :)

This book won't make you a better ukulele player, but it is interesting and it will tell you about the origins and the history of the ukulele. It was a good read.

The Ukulele: A History
Author: Tranquada, Jim; King, John;
http://www.uhpress.hawaii.edu/p-8729-9780824836344.aspx

Top Bottom