Cheapest Uke You've Bought That...

Mitchell MU40 on holiday sales hands down, as I've never bought one of these unplayable out of the box!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yk9RkAmKO4M

I'm really hoping to get a Concert as my first (got long fingers) but $29 shipped (wood or black color) is pretty tough to pass up!!!

And then they have this one for $29 as well: https://www.musiciansfriend.com/folk-traditional-instruments/diamond-head-du-150-soprano-ukulele/h86733000001001?pfm=item_page.rr1|CategorySiloedViewCP :D

DGGuy

Last edited:
The cheapest uke I've bought cost me $275; used, but not noticeably so. (Come to think about it, that's right around what I paid for my cheapest mandola, mandolin and violin that I've kept around for any length of time. Must be my magic number, or something!) Anyway, the uke is a Kala tenor, spruce over ovangkol ASOV-T. Very nice sounding and playing, and a looker as well. Got it in the marketplace here.

I haven't gone as inexpensive as some of you because I just wouldn't buy a well-worn beater, nor an instrument with laminate construction. The one exception to that (latter) was when I scored a great condition Baby Taylor guitar for cheap that I wanted to cut into and convert to an octave mandolin (the operation was pretty successful, but the scale is difficult to play).

bratsche

Last edited:
This lovely Leolani laminate tenor w Aquila strings that I got from Sams Club with tuner and case as a package for under $100. I played it in the dorms throughout college, drew on the back, and at some point, had Aldrine sign the side. To be honest, I actually don't know where this instrument is now. I haven't seen it in a while... I know I bought another one of these and gave it to my friend in LA, but this one...it's either back home in a closet or gone somewhere...great instrument though.

cheapest one I didn't regret to buy?

My Kala KA-C ... which I still own an like to play :rolleyes:

Yellow Malala Smiley Face...rang like a bell...I regret giving it away! $30 Uke that played like a million with Martin 600’s on it!

Makala concert for $68 at Penny Lane or Butler. It was a second (scuffs) but I got it because it has a passive pickup and I wanted something to plug in. The tuners were awful so I swapped them for fancy Grover frictions. The action is terrific and the dark laminate with zero bling is striking. Great knock around player.

In the first year I played uke five years ago, I quickly succumbed to UAS. I roamed the internet constantly looking for interesting ukes. Very early on I found a two hole flame acacia koa tenor slot-head cutaway with gold hardware, abalone binding and rosette out of China for $140 shipped that has been a keeper after going through sixteen ukes that first year and culled them to four. Now that I'm up to eight, it's still one of my favorites.

Uku masked.jpg

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 3 acoustic bass ukes, 8 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. http://www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: https://www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos

Last edited:
My only uke now is Cuke 60tsa gs. Bought it for $60 solid spruce top with solid amar back ? and slotted headstock. I only had to set the nut and saddle to lower the action. Overall I'm pretty satisfied with this Cuke.

I've bought secondhand at seriously low prizes (50c, and the next one up was 10 €) simply because they weren't strung and there was a tuner missing. Both are wonderful instruments that can stand out in a flock of strumming ukes.

But I think the question was about new ukuleles.

As for cheap new ukuleles, I have sold them all on, I have to admit, because they were quiet, sounded like cardboard and in the case of one paricular MPM tenor teardrop-shaped, f-hole instrument, actually had frets protruding out so far it was a menace to all passersby. There is only somemuch setup and tweaking one can do. In my opinion there really is some sort of new price threshold before 'okay' becomes 'wow', and to me that's somewhere around 150-200 €.

And I always remember the advice a master musician once gave me about instruments: it's about the driver, not the car!

This inexpensive Mahalo Les Paul style acoustic-electric has been a real steal for me.
After a bit of setting up, replacement of undersaddle piezo unit (which are cheap), it's a really versatile little beater.
And cutaway sopranos aren't common either

UKEULP1EVS_lge.jpg

After attending my first ukulele club meeting, I was hooked and wanted to buy a tenor in time for the next meeting. I mean, I could play three chords so I was ready! My wife suggested that I use a $200 gift card from Amazon I had. Great idea! I looked at endless listings, but the one that caught my eye was the Fender Nohea. It had a very cool looking Telecaster-shape head, and the wood looked beautiful. It said it was "all koa" and I had read that koa was the best wood for a ukulele. So I bought it for $250.
In case you missed it, I knew nothing about ukuleles, what was good or bad. And zero about setup, action or intonation.
The uke arrived in three days and I was stoked. I also bought a tuner and a gig bag. I tuned it up and strummed away using the beginners guide they handed out to all of the newbes. And I practiced. Not bad. I went to the next meeting, learned some more things. And I started to look online for information about how to play a uke. Holy smokes! It's endless. But I found Barry Maz's Got A Ukulele site that was squarely aimed at helping beginners. Eye opener. (I highly recommend the website and Barry's books for beginners.)
I quickly realized that my "all koa" uke was a laminate. And that the problems I was having trying to make barre chords was partially due to the lack of a proper setup. It practically took a c-clamp to make a first fret barre on the thing. It sounded nice. It wasn't very loud, so that was good. I could blend in with the other 50 people at the meetings and no one would get overly upset with all of the mistakes I was making.
Eventually, I took it to a music store that sold a few decent ukuleles and the owner was very patient explaining some things to me. He played the Fender a bit and said, and I quote, "Oh my! That is bad." When he tried a Bb and few other barres. I left it with him for a day and he lowered the nut and saddle by quite a lot. He also suggested putting fluorocarbon strings on it. And he explained that. I bought a set, but it would be a couple of months before I made the change.
The adjustments helped a lot. The fluoro strings helped more, but it is still a difficult ukulele to play. It has a somewhat restrained sound with very little sustain, but it's pleasent.
But, in all honesty I think it was a good ukulele to learn on. It built the strength in my fingers. Started conversations with other players who liked its looks. And is very durable. I took it on several short trips and could play it quietly in my hotel room at night. I still have it, but I'm thinking about donating it to a charity...

My Donner Deal solid top a/e for $80 is still in active service. No regrets.

Top Bottom