6 string acoustic to baritone type uke

Darylmesa

Reaction score
Hello as the title shows I would like to convert my acoustic guitar into a baritone type uke.
i know that I could just play the top 4 dgbe strings omitting the the low e a strings, but the spacing between the chords are too narrow for me...which is why I prefer ukulele to guitar.
I also know that A. I could just pick up a baritone uke and B. I could convert a classical easier since the spacing is already wider. It’s that I already have the acoustic guitar and it’s just sitting there.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated
Daryl

That's like asking if you can turn your car into an airplane. Anything is possible with enough time, skill and money.

Would initially require new nut slots and a way to reposition strings on bridge..
Quick and dirty remove e to g strings loosen b measure distance from e to e divide by 3. Put two new slots in nut using that measurement . A junior hacksaw or hacksaw blade is what I use. Then neaten up with needle file I use the edge of a half round one or welding gas nozzle cleaner.
Stare at the bridge. Work out if you want to add screws to guide the strings left or right to improve alignment or put in extra holes. The simplest may be the string through method-justa a hole through the bridge requiring a small bead tied to the end of the string or reuse your ball end steel strings. Put your g and d strings on using the two outer tuners and do what you need to to get the d string over. Remove the old unused tuners with a chainsaw, or less destructive method or not. And start playing.
If you switch to nylon strings be aware that the string tension is going to be higher due to the longer scale length. Regular baritone ukes have a shorter scale length again. Tuning it lower and using a capo might compensate for that.

Top Bottom