Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gibson considering making ukes after bankruptcy reorg

Default Gibson considering making ukes after bankruptcy reorg

While I hope Gibson will make some great ukes, I wonder about the financial wisdom of that decision. We've seen Collings, Breedlove, Santa Cruz, Larrivee bring ukes into their production, only to stop when there are more profitable uses of their production resources. I'm afraid the same would be true for Gibson.
    -Hodge
    Humble strummer of fine ukes.

Although it would be cool to see high end Gibson ukuleles in the market, it doesn't make sense for Gibson to delve into the market at this point. They have a cash flow problem and need an influx of capital. Ukuleles represent a small market and high-end ukulele sales would be an even smaller market. That said, if Gibson knew what they were doing, they wouldn't be in this spot.
    My Ukuleles: A Hawaiian, an Oregonian, and a Kiwi.

Quote Originally Posted by SandChannel View Post
    That said, if Gibson knew what they were doing, they wouldn't be in this spot.
    Brilliant. And so true.

I'm wondering if we are going to see a repeat of Martin's SO-so ukuleles from Mexico.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/hoosierhiver

UWC: no shirt, no shoes, no problem..

Ukes questions should be emailed to mike@mainlandukes.com

I know Gary Yoshida.

Thus far, Gibson is traditionally made in the USA. They use the Epiphone line for imports. I don't think they would want to muddy the waters and dilute their flagship any further by crossing the streams.

Thus far, Gibson is traditionally made in the USA. They use the Epiphone line for imports. I don't think they would want to muddy the waters and dilute their flagship any further by crossing the streams.
    I would never have thought Martin would muddy their reputation with mid-grade unremarkable imports, but they did.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/hoosierhiver

UWC: no shirt, no shoes, no problem..

Ukes questions should be emailed to mike@mainlandukes.com

I know Gary Yoshida.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierhiver View Post
    I would never have thought Martin would muddy their reputation with mid-grade unremarkable imports, but they did.
    That's exactly the point. Martin confused customers by producing budget lines under their historically-beloved brand name. Up to that point, you could always expect Nazareth quality if it said Martin on the headstock. Now, you have to do a bit more legwork to see where it was made , especially if that means something to you as a consumer. That said, if Gibson produced an $600 import Les Paul, it would slash Epiphone's market of those sales. They would be cannibalizing their own market share. I guess we will see what they end up doing... Hopefully, they can keep their head above water.

I have to wonder...1. how much did the wood raid under the previous administration cost them legally and did that contribute to this bankruptcy? 2. Demographics....just how many actual players are there vs. collectors? If collecting slows, the market slows. And young people are not as big of collectors as the boomers. Plus I don't see that many young players in my area. Lots of aging baby boomer bands but not that many young guitar players. 3. The influx of imports is huge...guitars might be saturated?
    That said, I might try to buy a gibson uke, but not a epiphone uke. I don't have a made in usa ukes, except my vintage martins that I got great deals on from kind and generous forum member.
    I will be paying that forward some day too. smile.
    Last edited by Sharpshin; 06-28-2018 at 08:14 AM. Reason: typo...
    -Timms Style 0 (2014),Timms Style 0 Soprano (2015)
    -Martin Style 2 Soprano (1948?), Martin Style 1 Centennial (2017)
    -Martin Style 1 Concert (1960's) finally figured out the age!
    -DH ULO #3 Soprano (2016), DH ULO #11 Tenor (2016)
    -Ohana SK 35GS (2015ish)

Although it would be cool to see high end Gibson ukuleles in the market, it doesn't make sense for Gibson to delve into the market at this point.
    I agree. They should concentrate on what they do best - where they made their reputation. If they make ukes, they will probably be high end. You have to wonder if people will pay a lot for a newly-produced ukulele from a company that might not be around next year.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!

Thread Information