New soprano uke for 5 th tuning luthier quality .

Fiddlerwill

Reaction score
Hi, this is very subjective i know but my question is this. I have had 2 ukes, my first was an experiment , cost 35€ and i tuned it to 5th as a travel instrument as i can't take my fiddle. It worked well.
Second was a clearwater about 80-100€ ok but now I'm looking for a serious instrument, luthier built, best suited for the tuning system I use. Im a long term multi instramentalist, my pipes cost a couple grand, my guitar 1500, my fiddles are cheapies at around 400.etc So im,looking for an instrument i can reliably pick up online and get the quality and volume i require.
Suggestions please.
I guess around 400 would pick up something ok but I can stretch to 700 maybe if it will offer appreciable advantages. .
Its hard becase i tune like a fiddle so cant realy test out ukes in shops.
Ive been gigging 40yrs.

Advice? Thanks in advance

I think just about any quality soprano instrument will suit you well. I currently have a Martin S-O tuned to fifths (though I am using Aquila 31U concert strings made for CGDA), and it sounds and plays wonderful. The Aquila 30U is the soprano set made for GDAE tuning, but that high E string has been known to break. So, I just started with the CGDA set and liked it well enough to not want to try the GDAE set. The S-O is a (IMO) mid-grade level instrument. Lately I've been considering trying a Bruko soprano for this same tuning. I think in your price range you have many choices. Best of luck in your search!

I'm curious why you'd pay as much as or more than you have for your fiddles for a soprano uke you use for travel. Not that it's any of my business! Are you enjoying it more than fiddle? I've wanted to tune one in fifths before, now you've got me wanting to try it again. What strings do you use? There are so many nice sopranos in that price range, I'm sure you'll find something you like.

I'm curious why you'd pay as much as or more than you have for your fiddles for a soprano uke you use for travel. Not that it's any of my business! Are you enjoying it more than fiddle? I've wanted to tune one in fifths before, now you've got me wanting to try it again. What strings do you use? There are so many nice sopranos in that price range, I'm sure you'll find something you like.

I use the same strings as above with fishing line for the top e. The reason im looking to spend more on the uke is because with my lifestyle traveling a lot on planes i cant take the fiddle. Also the uke allows me to sing with backing , so serves 2 purposes . And because ive played plucked strings 43 yrs while fiddle only 23 and because realistically there are many better fiddlers while thats not the case With plucked instruments within my genre. Also allthough my fiddle was only a few hundred , its a lovely sound , chinese luthier . And because the bow and strings are such an important part of the instrument. I do expect to pay a couple of grand for my next bow! And i use pirastro eudoxa. Where a set of strings cost more than my uke! :)

I use the same strings as above with fishing line for the top e. The reason im looking to spend more on the uke is because with my lifestyle traveling a lot on planes i cant take the fiddle. Also the uke allows me to sing with backing , so serves 2 purposes . And because ive played plucked strings 43 yrs while fiddle only 23 and because realistically there are many better fiddlers while thats not the case With plucked instruments within my genre. Also allthough my fiddle was only a few hundred , its a lovely sound , chinese luthier . And because the bow and strings are such an important part of the instrument. I do expect to pay a couple of grand for my next bow! And i use pirastro eudoxa. Where a set of strings cost more than my uke! :)

Thanks! That makes sense. I forgot about bows. And I had no idea strings could cost so much!

Top Bottom