Season 333 - Three three three

Smudge are a three-piece Australian indie band -
sometimes electric sometimes acoustic guitar, bass, drums.
Up front is a fella called Tom Morgan, and one of the best pop songwriters I know.
This is a cover of a B-side to one of their 7" singles from almost 20 years ago now
and featuring Kevin on electric tenor uke and harmony.

Another early morning call here before I head off to work, this time a three chorder C,F,G............

Last edited:
An original written for the season in about 5 mins. You don’t know how hard it was to resist putting a G7 in as well, but I had to remain strong.

Great theme Ylle, thanks for hosting this week!
This is an original song with 3 chords.
Huge thanks to my brother Jon Duncan for playing baritone ukulele and putting together this fabulous movie clip to go with our latest collaboration~
kevin ~ Mando-lele, baritone uke, nord tones, electric tenor uke
Jon Duncan ~ Baritone uke and movie clip creation

I keep spinning the sun is sinking
What a burden my web has been
It don't last long, something comes along
And knocks it down again
It rolls me over, bowls me over
Something like the wind comes along
And makes me start all over again

I tried with this one, but I’m disappointed in the dense lyrics and musically similar sections. Hoping to go back and edit it someday.

Obligatory plug for my new YouTube channel! I’d love to get to 30 subscribers by this evening... can you do me a solid? ��

"Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out.

Ok got it. Great theme! I've been on holiday and I'm a bit gutted to have missed the modern folk songs theme too - that's right up my street. But this theme has a lot of scope

Sparky

"Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out.

Ok got it. Great theme! I've been on holiday and I'm a bit gutted to have missed the modern folk songs theme too - that's right up my street. But this theme has a lot of scope

Sparky

You can usually work folk songs into most themes.

I put new strings on the little yellow soprano yesterday and what a difference! I'd forgotten how much impact a set of decent strings could have. It's now a tolerable instrument so I've used it again on this song.

This song is a version of Child Ballad #1 and is all about three. Three sisters, three sets of riddles. Also just to ensure all is OK it happens to be a three chord one as well (G, C & D7 in my case)

Wrote this a couple of years back about a very close friend who was killed suddenly in a car accident. Needless to say it came as quite a shock... I find writing songs a way of dealing with these kinds of things I suppose.

Just watching through some of the other vids and felt inspired by Berni's contribution to cover my favourite Quark-related song, which is by Hank Green :)

3 chords, 3 verses, 3 choruses, about the 3 quarks of a proton or neutron
Played by a 30 year old 3rd child and according to my calculations it is approximately 300 degrees celsius
Uploaded on 06/07/2018 of course since 6+7+2+0+1+8 = 24 which is 3 x 8 (and 6+7+2018 = 2031 which is 3 x 677)

You can usually work folk songs into most themes.

Yeah but there's such a huge amount of great, very modern (last 0-10 years) folk music around with the likes of Joanna Newsom, Johnny Flynn, Emmy the Great, Fleet Foxes, Show of Hands, Mumford and Sons, Of Monsters and Men, Twiggy Frostbite and so on that I suspect don't get enough air time - just a really great time for folk music right now :music:

Sparky

Here is another one from our campsight along the California coast. We are at the very north end of Sonoma County on HWY 1 at our favorite camp site, Stillwater Cove. Seems Oliver cannot take fireworks, so we just take him away from fireworks for a few days. Melissa stops playing here because we have to keep the dogs tied out at the campground, and Annabelle was trying to free herself during the song.
When we done I walked over and unclipped her, and she ran to the tent and put herself to bed. Seems the activity level may have gotten the best of the puppy...she is GASSED. I am feeling pretty good that I was able to tire her out and last longer than she did. That has not happened since I got her.
Anyway- the song. The only other three-chord we can do when we are this tired

The great Don Covay (who also wrote "Chain of Fools") wrote this one for Wilson Pickett, and it was the B side of "Mustang Sally." Dave Edmunds recorded it back in the Rockpile days, and Bonnie Raitt recorded it a little later.

Season 333. Submission 3. "Exactly Like You" (Written by Jimmy McHugh and Dorothy Fields, 1930)

This song has been famously recorded by both the Nat King Cole Trio and the Diana Krall Trio.

Thank you for hosting this fine season of wonderful music, Ylle. :)

An original - "Three Horses and Two Riders"...There's a story in there I hope.

Three horses and two riders
Silhouettes on the moon
On a road most travelled
On a road most ruined

Past naked trees that gave up
Any right to spring
And winter birds that don’t feel
Any need to sing

Heavy with their lead
Johnny in their head