Season 333 - Three three three

Peter, Paul and Mary

Three Dog Night performed some extremely challenging songs for pop hits, and their backing band was terrific. Paul Williams wrote several of their memorable ones (as did Hoyt Axton, of course). This one's challenging to me because of the Bbs and the F/Dm stuff I tried between some of the lines. Anyway, I've always wanted to so this somewhat competently. The Ohana made it easier.

Not sure if you got this show in Finland or not Ylle, but this is the theme song of a highly popular Sitcom in America in the late 70's/early 80's, and this theme song is iconic. I had fun trying to work it up.

Woody Guthrie wrote this song....
Done in 3 chords to satisfy the hosts theme - you can add a minor chord in here - in this case that would be an Em.

and check the length of the song which was purely coincidental (and very long for me).

Last edited:
Okay, the song is called Thirty Three and it has 3 chords. Yesterday, I was thinking that the Smashing Pumpkins was a three piece, but it turns out they had 4 members. Oh well.

thank you for hosting the week Ylle.
the Mountain Goats most often record and perform as a trio.
i just recorded this very bare bones version of this song
from their 2009 Life of the World to Come LP.

My birth date contains 666 (16.12.66).............blimey that explains the horn !! :eek:
OUTRAGEOUS!!!!!!!!! lol!!!!!!

ok, here is a homemade 3-chord song for the week

i foolishly replaced the string i broke last week on the corrulute - otherwise i could have played those three chords, on just three strings!

"so many tears"

Good afternoon from cloudy and quite cool southern Finland! On Saturday evening I thought that after the fantastic and busy Alphabet Season, the Seasonistas will take at least a couple of days off. But no, amazingly, you still want to play songs! :) We have already 30 songs from 20 Seasonistas on the "Three three three" playlist. Thank you all for these entries!

Hi, Ylle! (Well, it's still pretty hot here, but storms are threatened.) And I have absolutely no idea what possessed me to bring this ... I don't even LIKE football! It's a song that probably won't be remotely familiar to anyone outside the U.K., so here is a bit of background ...

In 1966, the England football team reached the pinnacle when they beat West Germany with a goal scored in extra time in the final of the World Cup. This song was written in 1996, for that year's World Cup (a full thirty years after the famous victory). We are now another twenty-two years on from that, and, up until now, England has failed to meet expectations. We are at this point, though, in the qualifying round of this year's World Cup - unlike some other countries ... ahem!!!

I have attempted to turn what is a football anthem into a ballad of loss and longing ... it is, after all, a VERY sad story.

(And P.S. the "Jules Rimet" was the World Cup Trophy in 1966. In 1970 it was won for all time by Brazil and replaced with a new Cup.)

(P.P.S. For added authenticity, this was played on a "football-shaped" ukulele - the bouzouki-uki.)

And, finally, my apologies - somewhere en route I seem to have got "out of sync." It was bound to happen one day!

Last edited:
Season 333. Submission 1. "On The Street Where You Live" Written by Lerner and Lowe for the musical "My Fair Lady" (1956)

The Holly Cole Trio performed a strikingly original performance of this standard on its "Blame It On My Youth" album (1992).

Thank you for hosting and your fine theme, Ylle. :)

Last edited:
Here's another song that I think is among the saddest songs in the whole world. Came out in 1964 by "Whispering" Bill Anderson.

Here is my 3 song:

I really like this song and I am thinking of playing it for my preschool friends when I do a theme about friendship.

Hello Ylle, lovely open theme. REM spent half their career as a 3 piece band after Bill Berry's illness forced him to retire.
Six chords (2x3) in this song and a few ways of getting denominations of 3 from 1969 (first moon landing took place in 1969 for the youngsters among us who are pondering the significance of that year).

Here's a Jim Lauderdale song I think is pretty cool, but then again I'm biased.....

Last edited:
Top Bottom