Help vintage ukulele

Philz1

Reaction score
Hi I was left this ukulele and want to sell it for a fair price but I have no idea what to ask for it or where it’s from, the hand made wooden box is obviously made for it as it fits like a glove and the instrument is in perfect condition with no cracks or damage.
If you can help me with your thoughts I would really appreciate your various knowledge and then I hope it goes to someone here to a good home ( unless it’s a piece of old rubbish!!) then I will put in the bin!
Thank you. I can send anywhere in world no problem
Philip ... now to add photos! Help!1F904532-F610-42F0-BDA4-041927AE0E1D.jpgF28FEAE9-118D-4429-81AC-0528F8247A31.jpg373DE126-6B79-4DAE-AE6C-12197D571547.jpg848C073D-24B1-41F1-BF23-946B98FF2141.jpg94BD2F39-6BFE-4445-9F31-18C34302DB54.jpg

I'm no authority on older ukuleles, but you can rest assured that is not a piece of old rubbish! I once met a collector of historically interesting instruments, and he showed me something very similar - even down to the wooden case. We did not discuss its monetary value, but I gathered that it would attract a lot of attention, if it were to go on sale.

John Colter

Thanks, I just realised there’s a burnt in signature on the case, I thought it was just a scratch but it’s not, how can I post another picture?

Omg just watched John king playing one and I never knew how beautiful a sound it makes and how good mr king is! Thanks for that, I smiled all way through it, so worth watching!!

Wow - it is a pretty amazing little piece of history! Is there a family story that goes along with the machete? A relative from Portugal who collected folk art? A musician who played other stringed instruments? A woodworker from Madera who moved to Hawaii? Even the case is wonderful.

Sadly no story, but my great grandfather ( and I’m old lol) collected quality instruments and was widely travelled. I was given this but would prefer to go to someone who would appreciate it and play it! I also was given his very old violin, which I am trying to learn! It’s sad just to see it in a box and never used, my relative did have it strung I believe but that’s how I got it. Ps. I’m in the United Kingdom not Hawaii 😉

Omigosh, I cannot begin to say how much I love that this gentleman (or gentlewoman!) could come on this site to learn about (and show the rest of us) this wonderful tiny instrument.
Sounds like an appraisal (and a good luthier to set it up) is warranted, but in the meantime I betcha Remco (is he on this site?) and others would be thrilled to see it.
Wish Campbell was on the same continent, I would love to hear him play it.
And of course, wouldn't it have been wonderful in the hands of dearly departed Mr. King, who only had a replica...

It reminds me of something from Antiques Roadshow, where some expert would even know the maker from the signature... and give you a wild "at auction" price.
(That said, I hope you sell to someone who will play it for the rest of us... ;^)

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your kind words, you are right, I would love to hear someone play it and film it to share with everyone. Who’s remco btw? But I’m still a bit confused to what it is, I type in machete and all I can find are knives! ����
Are these known as anything else. I think I will just call it “the beauty” ��, it’s nicer than machete don’t you think? ��

I've found a photo I took in 2007, when I visited the collector - as mentioned above. Unfortunately, I can't remember the man's name. All I remember is that he had a weekend retreat in Frome, and he was besotted with ukuleles and their history.

The similarities to your instrument are pretty obvious, Philz1.

John Colter, West Midlands, UK.

Uke collector, Frome - Aug 2007.jpg

But I’m still a bit confused to what it is, I type in machete and all I can find are knives!

The full name is "machete de braga". It's a small 19th century instrument that traditionally uses steel strings (and sometimes gut or nylon-like strings) and is tuned higher than the ukulele. Some people believe it's the ancestor of the ukulele, but there were other ukulele-like instruments also that may have served as inspiration.

The best person to send it to for a video and perhaps an appraisal is probably Rob McKillop (he's in the UK, I believe). Here's a video of him playing a machete:

He's sometimes on this forum too, and here's his page (probably has contact information): https://robmackillop.net/

Last edited:
You'll do better if you search "machete ukulele", it will weed out the other stuff.

Remco Houtman-Janssen is "Ukulelezaza", a magnificent uke player and lover of fine old instruments.

I thought he lived in the UK, but FaceBook says he's in Belgium. He might be a start to finding your buyer.

http://www.beintube.co/ukulelezaza-i-surrender-dear-rL+Lr8FmsdR30OU.html

Last edited:
Thank you so much ����

Also consider Samantha Muir. She's based in Dorset, and has made excellent recordings of classical machete. Find her via YouTube or Facebook.

I think Rob MacKillop is in the North, so it depends where you are.

It looks a nice instrument, certainly worth a few hundreds if it plays well, and if it's rare and sought after then who knows.

Really ..wow and Dorset is not far from me! Thank you

Top Bottom