Moldy Uke

Old Dog

Reaction score
I've been wet sanding a uke to refinish it. After leaving a couple of days to dry out, I discovered spotty mold inside on the back. Any suggestions on how to get rid of it with out doing too much damage to the inside?

Without knowing your experience level my first question is why are you introducing so much water to the process?
You only wetsand finishes that seal out the water. Then quickly wipe any water away. You never get the wood itself wet.

To your question. You can stick a blow dryer in the hole and let it run. (WITH THE HEAT OFF ONLY)
But even that would only be advisable if the outside is dry.

Last edited:
Are you sure its mold and not just sanding sludge that splattered in there?

You could try putting some dry rice in the uke and shake it around .

Thanks for the replies. I tried to be cautious with the water and sprayed small amounts in small areas where I was sanding. But, Michael is right, I should have put some paper towels in the sound hole.

I tired to get a couple of pix, but my phone wouldn't focus very well: 20180706_165908 mold.jpg20180706_165908 mold.jpg

it looks more like rusted metal filings to me. But if it is a fungus you could always shoot a little jock rot powder in there. (Just kidding, down't do that.)

Yes, I think I'll try a little bleach on Q tips. If it discolors the wood, my builder's label will cover most of it.

Top Bottom