Resawing video

Timbuck

Reaction score
I'm doing a bit of resawing 4mm thick tops and backs at the moment, I always find that the tricky bit always comes on the last couple of slices where the material gets thin and resonates causing the blade to cut a bit unevenly. ..I found this video of a way to prevent this and im going to give it a try and I'll report back later ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNbq4WuJmRk
And here is another interesting one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4k-r5utmU2Q

Last edited:
After just resawing enough sets of mahogany for another 15 sopranos (60 slices)..I've come to the conclusion that for the best results, take a bit of extra time setting up the saw as accurate as you can, use a blade designed for the job (Tuff Saws Fastcut) or better....use a high fence..make sure the base of the workpiece is square to the fence.. Don't apply side pressure up against the fence or you'll wear the the teeth of the blade on one side causing drift cupping etc:.. keep the saw table clean and dust free with a good shop vac..and just take it easy applying a steady feed and let the saw do the work....forget the plywood board for padding it didn't improve things much for me.

Good advice Ken. What's the kerf of the blade you use and what thickness do you cut the slices to? I've often aimed for as close as possible to final size so I dont end up sanding away half of the slice, but that often just makes the resawing harder to do consistently. Turning 50% of a piece of wood into sawdust really disturbs me, but losing a couple slices from bad resawing just plain pisses me off.

Lately my preferred resaw setup is a Laguna 1/2" 3-4 tooth silicon steel blade on my 14-12 (about $28). Very consistent and well behaved blade, but unfortunately a fairly thick blade that chews out a .032 kerf.

Nice wood is precious commodity these days. And it doesn't just grow on trees you know. ;)

Last edited:
Good info and thank you. The 2nd video interested me as my old band saw does not have a gate. There is a slot machined in the cast iron top of my 40 year old machine, and the videoed unit (with 2 red clamps) used in the 2nd video shows an alternative to not having a fence. Are these jigs for sale ?

Top Bottom