Help?

Rosendust

Reaction score
Hey everyone, so far I've enjoyed my Kala Dolphin- but there's one small issue I can seem to find a solution to! It doesn't really stay in tune that much. I've taken it twice(in the same week, mind you) to be tuned at a local music shop and I do have a Hug Strap installed on it. I currently don't have access to a tuner as of yet. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Rosendust

The solution is to buy a tuner and tune your uke every time you pick it up to play it. Uke strings stretch, and continue to stretch. Nothing you can do but continue to tune it up each time you play. They will settle down after a few weeks, but it just takes time.

There are free tuning apps on the net or buy a tuner. Learning to tune is as important if not more than anything else.

The solution is to buy a tuner and tune your uke every time you pick it up to play it. Uke strings stretch, and continue to stretch. Nothing you can do but continue to tune it up each time you play. They will settle down after a few weeks, but it just takes time.

Is the Snark tuner a good buy or what do you recommend?

If you don't have a tuner but do have a keyboard, tune the third string (from the bottom) to middle C, then fret that string at the 7 th fret and tune your 4th strin to that, then, staying on that third string still, fret it at the 4 th fret and tune your second string to that, then fret the second string at the 5th fret and tune the first string to that,........ or yeah, Snarks are fine. I' m quite fond of them and all things snarkish. ;)

Those strings will continue to stretch. Eventually they will stabilize, but they will still go out of tune occasionally.

There are MANY videos on YouTube show8ng how to tune. Almost any clip on tuner will work...I like the $5 tuners at Reverb. However, Kala has a good app that works on Android or iOS. And you can watch some videos at https://kalabrand.com/pages/learn-to-play

One of the easiest mistakes is tuning to the wrong octave...so trying to match the correct pitches first is important with new strings followed by specific tuning...The Kala app allows for this. Additionally, always make sure you are turning the head for the right string.

Here's one online tuner that works just fine. You should tune every time you pick up your uke to play.
http://www.uketune.com/

Which apps/websites do you recommend?

"Tunable", which is available for iOS and Android. However, I would really buy a clip-on tuner. They cost $5 or so, sometimes less. All the cheap clip-on tuners are essentially the same, so Snark's all right.

Snarks tuners are one of the best, and I've tried just about all of them. They are big, ugly, and some complain that they break easily (I've never had one break in 10 years) but they are sensitive and accurate. You can get them on Amazon for $15 or two for $25.

Top Bottom