Passive pickups

Ukulelerick9255

Reaction score
I’m seeking recommendations for a passive pickup and external not on board preamp for my Pono pro classic mango baritone.
Also if I decide to go active any comments on Baggs 5.0 which I currently use versus fishman matrix.

I just had an K&K Aloha Twin installed in my Kala Cedar topped Baritone. I was surprised that the output is as strong as it is. I have not given it a good test yet as the only amp I have is a cheap electric guitar amp. But it sounded strong and surprisingly full.
I am also in the market for a decent pre-amp and acoustic amp as well.

A preamp is a preamp basically. Nothing wrong with the Baggs you own now. I have the Baggs and works great and also own a K&K Mini preamp that came as part of a package deal on a parlor guitar I bought. Both push the power where it needs to be.

+1 on the K&K Aloha Twin, I have it installed on my Romero Creations mango Tiny Tenor. I also have a K&K Big Island Spot on my Magic Fluke.

+1 on the K&K products. Had them in various MyaMoe Ukes and a parlour guitar that I owned. I would also recommend the LR Baggs Preamps. Either the ParaDI or the Session. As for an acoustic amp advise you look into:
Yamaha TRX5A, Roland AC33 (both of these can be battery powered), Fishman Loudboxes, Henriksen ( very small but amazing sound) and AER.

Last edited:
Another recommendation for the K&K Aloha Twin

And another. It's a compromise (picks up everything, very microphonic pickup) between sensitivity and sound quality, but I am very pleased with mine.

Top Bottom