Worth of two G-String koa tenor ukes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthroterra

Reaction score
I'm debating on selling one of my G-String tenor ukes in order to help pay for my leaky roof, and needed to know some opinions from here on about how much they are worth. I'd also like feedback on whether or not I should get them professionally refinished before selling.
Each has multiple cracks in the finish from humidity issues in storage while I was deployed in the Army. There are no cracks in the actual wood and they both sound and play fantastic. The following photos are intentionally taken to highlight the cracks in the finish.
Uke 1. Solid koa with ebony binding, radiused fretboard, and angled headstock. Abalone and koa around sound hole, abalone around edge. Has a pickup.View attachment 110183View attachment 110184View attachment 110185View attachment 110186View attachment 110187

Last edited:
Two things. That is a beautiful looking tenor and the koa looks really nice. It looks like finish checking. I took a uke to a local guitar luthier with some finish checking and he wouldn’t touch it, saying that it was really hard to fix. Some people like finish checking. It probably does affect the value as people like their used instruments to also look new. You have a smaller group of used uke buyers who want a vintage look. You would think it wouldn’t be that hard to sand it down and reapply the finish but I guess it is.

Second, maybe you can’t post more pictures because of your junior member status. Hopefully that will change soon.

Good luck! It really is a good looking ukulele tenor.

It looks as though the binding might be loose as well in spots. Have you looked to see if the company still exists and if they can refurbish them?

I couldn't open the second attachments. Maybe start a different thread for it?

Good luck with these ukes. I gather time is of the essence? And thank you for your service. I'm sorry your storage unit leaked, but I can sympathize.

I have asked one Italiano luthier, he told me more or less 500 euros to refinish. He also told me that I need to check if there is crack inside (it can happen easier), such as taking a photo with my mobile phone.

From my experience, i do not think it is only the owner's humidity issues. Because i have saw at least three G-string ukuleles have very similar problems.

G string isn't in business anymore but the founder still builds ukes in Hawaii, from what I understand. I used to own a soprano that was stunning.

It looks as though the binding might be loose as well in spots. Have you looked to see if the company still exists and if they can refurbish them?

I couldn't open the second attachments. Maybe start a different thread for it?

Good luck with these ukes. I gather time is of the essence? And thank you for your service. I'm sorry your storage unit leaked, but I can sympathize.

Binding is still nice and tight and it looks great on the inside. I'm getting interested PMs, but still don't know what a fair price would be! Help! Still not positive I'll sell it: it actually has a story. Derek (the builder) had made it custom for Kelly Boy Dalima of the music group Kapena, but refused to give it to him because there was a tiny dark mark on the upper right part of the back against the binding. He made him another, and I bought it directly from Derek in Aiea, HI. It has the same headstock as James Hill's G-String, and he even had to play it when he saw me with it in Washington. The second one has a story too lol. Sooo hard to part with these lovelies... Maybe I should sell a kidney instead? Haha! Just played both again and they are just so warm and sweet.

Last edited:
You might want to contact Shawn Yacavone at Ukulele Friend. If they are rare/collectible ukuleles he would know. He may sell them on consignment, I don't know Shawn or how he operates. You know what you paid and I would think that they would go for more to the right buyer. Finding that buyer might be tough. I have no clue, but the custom market has changed a lot since the early/mid 2000's. The woods and options being offered today are so far beyond what was offered 10/15 years ago. I would think getting a value here would be hit or miss.

John

I believe Mr. Shimizu is still in the mainland , either Nevada or California for many years. he still builds to this day off and on when ever he likes.

G string isn't in business anymore but the founder still builds ukes in Hawaii, from what I understand. I used to own a soprano that was stunning.

I have asked one Italiano luthier, he told me more or less 500 euros to refinish. He also told me that I need to check if there is crack inside (it can happen easier), such as taking a photo with my mobile phone.

From my experience, i do not think it is only the owner's humidity issues. Because i have saw at least three G-string ukuleles have very similar problems.

Finish cracking/larger checking is quite common in gloss G String ukes. Finish cracking affects the value. But G String ukes are wonderful. You might want to talk to Shawn at Ukulele Friend to get an idea of the value of each. Good luck on the sale.

Thank you for all the input and PMs. After talking to multiple luthiers, etc I think it's best if I kept both of them. I've decided to sell a few of my other ukes instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom