Your summer vacation...with ukes

I will dream of having a holiday while I play for 10 minutes outside....

There, it worked, "holiday" done...back to work...

No the beaches I go to have no resorts or manicured grass. They are mostly natural where people want to go for a swim and peace and quiet. People who go there and make a nuisance of themselves are not welcome in most cases. I have only seen one or two beaches in Australia where there are beach chairs, the Govt owns the land in most cases and wont allow a motel to set up facilities which stop everyone from sharing the beach. Also we have total fire bans most summers, so there are no fires either. Alcohol is also banned on most public beaches so not a lot of wine and beer either. People just go to the beach to relax and swim, if they want to jam or play instruments they do it in the carpark or near the BBQs in the parks behind the beaches, many Australian beaches have magnificent free public parks around the beaches with BBQS and picnic facilities and childrens' playgrounds and fitness equipment. No-one needs to sit in the sand at night time, they can find a nice grassy place near a BBQ and facilities behind the beach in the park where you can watch the sun rise (east coast) or set (west coast) over the water from a nice comfy chair with a beverage.
Anyway, enough of my comments. I am sure others have other opinions which they want to express.
Our beach is owned by the National Parks Service but it is just public beach. There is no parking, no facilities other than fresh water showers at the top of the stairs, no restrictions as far as beer or fires or anything. It is minimally maintained by the parks service and occasionally park rangers come through just to make sure signs are still up. The tour boats come by and the guides point it out to the people on board and sometimes tourists make their way down there. But in all fairness, it isn't where I go on vacation and it is a beach that is most frequented by people who live in our community. So that probably makes a difference. I always take my little uke on vacation. I find lots of opportunities to play my ukuele without disturbing other people's peace and quiet and I am always mindful of that. We have fun with it.

OK, will be traveling to HNL this Friday the 6th, Lord willing.

Ziret, I'm planning on bringing the Enya Soprano that you 'customized'.
It's been my go-to uke for a while now and I really enjoy it... although
it is sometimes a bit understated (read quiet) when leading a song circle :)

I've begun stuffing the personal sound hole with tiny, squeaky rubber duckies
that I hand out to parents of toddlers to 'make their day'. [Fellow UUers, please
remember to see me at the Ukulele Festival Hawaii, Sunday the 13th, at the HMS
tent for your very own Uncle Rod Rubber Ducky :) [PS the Enya can hold more
than 30 tiny rubber duckies]

I like waits at the bus stops for the next ride. Oh well, at least I'll
be in 'Paradise'!

Rod I hope to get a ducky from you someday soon at the Ukulele Festival. Did you know we have a Ducky Derby fundraiser here in the spring? Plus a few giant rubber ducks advertising it on top of buildings? You should come for that before you disappear from the Northwest. I bet you're excited to be in paradise full time!

My "vacation" playing is done beside a river or lake in wilderness areas. My travel companions always ask me to play, and they often sing along. I'm no uke virtuoso, and my singing leaves much to be desired, but everything sounds better around a campfire.

Here's the scene of a riverside uke concert from spring 2017 ......Green River in Canyonlands Nat. Park. This was the beginning of my ukulele journey, with a Waterman concert uke. That uke didn't stay with me very long, but the love for playing sure did!

Attachments

• IMGP3330.jpg
    IMGP3330.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 65
  • IMGP3331.jpg
    IMGP3331.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
I took my two Outdoor Ukulele's. IMG_20180607_073524906_HDR.jpg
I think next time I will bring at least one fancy uke... for showing off.

My O.U.'s delivered fully. Above and beyond. I <3 my O.U.'s #respect

I have my Blackbrd Farallon with me in Italy right now. It travels well, and the low G setup is perfect for leading singalongs with my Italian friends and relatives.

Here's mine on vacation. It's a rainy day on Martha's Vineyard, a good day for playing uke on the wraparound porch. Had a bunch of guests this week, and a few wanted to try uke, so it got a workout. I kept the Style 2 under wraps, too nice to have guests banging on it.

View attachment 111027

Who needs a beach when you've got that porch!

So glad you got that Style 2. It fits perfectly.

Hmm I have a tenor ukulele. Some of my friends and I are planning to go on a trip to the nearby beach together through a tour called "reisen einen Tag" tomorrow, and I am thinking about taking my tenor ukulele with me. I was a little bit hesitant about packing my musical instrument with me at first since we will spend lots of time near the water. As you guys all know, It is extremely important for the wood to stay dry. If water gets splattered on my ukulele, then I am screwed, haha. Anyways, I hope that everything will be fine

Last edited:
Old thread, but timely for me, as I just traveled to New Hampshire to visit my daughter. Brought two of my favorite ukes to play, my Tiny Tenor and my aNueNue AMM3. The Tiny Tenor travels particularly well, being compact, but doesn't compromise on sound quality. I also brought the gift certificate my daughter gave me for Christmas for online instruction from Sarah Maisell and Greg Chee. I've put off starting this, being way too busy with work. Time to get it going, I think.

For vacation, (two weeks in the Outer Banks) I packed my Caramel acoustic electric baritone, (my least valuable uke), my harmonica holder and enough harps to play in pretty much any key, and forgot to load them in the car ... 'twas a long time without something to play. I did see a concert sized uke in a beach store, but $90 for a plywood instrument wasn't worth it to me...

I went to Michigan at the end of August! Brought my enya nova pro u tenor with me, no worries about breaking it. Well... not TOO many.

I was able to play all over AND got to visit Elderly Instruments for half a day and try out some real gems! Of what they had, I found the Kanile'as and Kala Elites the most pleasing sounding and fun to play, which is interesting given they have very different necks.

izzy uke.jpg

Due to travel restrictions we have not been able to travel as much as in previous years. This year we just went for a week to visit relatives who have a small cabin near a lake. I took one of my 12 string guitars, my low G tenor, and the long neck soprano travel uke to be prepared for all eventualities.

Been invited to go out on a pontoon boat next weekend. Only two couples, so plenty of social distancing. I'll be taking my Enya Pro U tenor. And some music. I don't have many songs memorized. And I'm not skilled enough to play by ear.

an appropriate resurrection given that travel may be opening up more this year... I've taken an outdoor to Colorado and Hawaii, just tossed in a carry-on backpack and even in a checked duffel bag! and I often take a laminate whatever on road trips or long weekends at the cabin.

Some scoff at bringing a uke while traveling, say you should be out doing your adventures rather than "wasting" time playing. But when you have a massive time change and can't get to sleep until well after everything else closes or wake up before things open, you gotta do something in that down time, so might as well play. plus, there is always down time...

Last edited:
an appropriate resurrection given that travel may be opening up more this year... I've taken an outdoor to Colorado and Hawaii, just tossed in a carry-on backpack and even in a checked duffel bag! and I often take a laminate whatever on road trips or long weekends at the cabin.

Some scoff at bringing a uke while traveling, say you should be out doing your adventures rather than "wasting" time playing. But when you have a massive time change and can't get to sleep until well after everything else closes or wake up before things open, you gotta do something in that down time, so might as well play. plus, there is always down time...
I don’t understand the people who scoff at bringing a uke on vacation. You should be able to spend your vacation however you like. Maybe I’m in the minority but a vacation where you’re constantly running around doing things isn’t much of a vacation…

My aNueNue concert, laminate/cedar top (Hawaiian dream series) is my current go-to Uke for anything outdoors, hiking, beach, vacation-y. The price point makes me a little less concerned about wear and tear from the elements. It’s a great sounding instrument all around and super fun to play. This is also my wall hanger in my office at an elementary school.

Attachments

• E2271C8F-40EA-46EB-BB8E-F0C58EC419A2.jpeg
    E2271C8F-40EA-46EB-BB8E-F0C58EC419A2.jpeg
    773 KB · Views: 12
This summer is my wedding. And right after it, my husband and I decided to go to the Maldives for our honeymoon. We saw some photos of the island and could not take our eyes off it. So in July, we are going there. However, we both like to play ukes and decided to take some. We want to have those romantic night dates near the sea when playing an instrument and making a music dedication. I was thinking of taking my Kanile'a, Martin, and Islander. I will think of which of them to choose. My husband is taking his guitar.
An Islander seems to fit with going to the Islands. Best wishes on your big day and the honeymoon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't remember what this one is or if I still have it, but the memory lingers on.

Attachments

• hamook.JPG
    hamook.JPG
    208.9 KB · Views: 24
I took my two Outdoor Ukulele's. View attachment 110222
I think next time I will bring at least one fancy uke... for showing off.

My O.U.'s delivered fully. Above and beyond. I <3 my O.U.'s #respect
Oh man those are cool. LOVE the colors.

When I wanna play outdoors I use my Waterman. I have a neon green one :D

So, what uke(s) do you take with you on summer vacation? I'll be taking my Kiwaya KS-1 soprano, and an Ohana tenor, strung low G, when we go away this summer. No problem taking the laminate Kiwaya to the beach or boating, with reasonable precautions (not using as a boat
paddle). I'd like to take a reentrant tenor too, but it might seem excessive...at least to my wife :rolleyes:, even though all 3 would still take up less room in the car than an acoustic guitar in a hard case.

It seems like a long time since the last holiday but I took an old Mahalo with me and it worked just fine. OK, I’d spent some time setting it up to play well and changed the strings, etc. Just having something (that was) reasonable to play gave me joy and so did not fussing about getting something more valuable busted up or otherwise lost.

Take whatever you both enjoy playing and won’t get upset about losing or damaging.

The next time I’m away it’ll be another old Mahalo Soprano; they’re cheap as chips, (can) sound fine and are as tough as old boots :) . The snag is that they usually take many hours of work to ‘sort out’, but I enjoy the challenge and don’t cost the time ...

Last edited:
Top Bottom