Aquila red series set news: some volunteers are wecome

mimmo

Reaction score
Caldogno, Northen Italy (50 Km far from Venice)
Aquila red series set news: some volunteers are welcome

Alhoa guys,
Mimmo of aquila there...
You know the recent Sugar uke strings made from sugar cane- polymer that are so bright... well, I had the idea to make a few of red series sets using Sugar polymer, that it is bright itshelf, instead nylgut one.

The results is amazing: the sound is louder & brighter than before, the strings are strong and with a nice even colour and perfectly smooth.

My question is:
are there some red series lovers that like to give a try on this version?
Volunteers....
I am really happy about the results but I need your feedback guys. I am not a good player.
Of course 5 or 6 guys are wecome...not more. When I am ok I will send a messsage there that I have find enought testers.

I have available: soprano, concert, Tenor (all high G).

Please mail me to:
mperuffo@aquilacorde.com
I must have:
the instrument type, name surname, the complete adress plus a phone number.
Thanks!
Mimmo- Italy

Last edited:
Hi guys,
I had a few of contact and some unfortunately has experiece with the red series set: unfortunately thi is not usefull at all.
I need somebody that already well knows the red series strings so the comparation is usefull to us
Thanks!
Mimmo

I second Ubulele's reply. Also interested in red series, to try and step away from wound strings for Baritone ukes.

I have one Baritone strung with 3 red strings and one wound. The red strings sound nice and are holding out. On my Bruko Baritone I have Worth.

I also have a Pono, but the original strings (by supplier) consist of two wound and two nylon.

Hi guys,
I have done a not professional video were you can hear the difference, on a same model of ukulele, between the traditional red Series and these one (that are not in the market)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=36&v=gMbLvSG4h2I

Ciao Ubulele, it is not possible to make smoother low g unwond reds (sorry). At the end of the day, even a wound string is not smooth. :D The sugar version of the single red for low G are already in the market since 4 months almost.

Baritone unwound 3rd & 4th:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-QDutnmhfE

last thing: the samples are sent out to the testers

a big thanks for the collaboration! :)
Mimmo

Last edited:
HI Mimmo,
I like what you are doing and how you keep advancing your own string technology. I liked RED, I haven't tried Sugar just cause I have not ordered recently. I will try Sugars for sure.

I like the simple sound test and love the new Sugar Reds. Keep us posted, I will buy some for sure.

Cheers

@ Jim Hanks. I think all emporiums will try to get rid of their old stock first . . . . . .

Ok, but even the Aquila site says 89U is two wounds. If there is anybody selling a set with "baritone unwound 3rd & 4th" I sure can't find it.

I would like to try unwound 3rd and 4th strings for a Baritone as well. As much as I like the sound of wound strings they tear my fingernails to bits.

Strings arrived today, thank you, Mimmo, I'm putting them on the concert right now.

good to hear that Ziret. be patien with them: the best sound come out after a few hours. if you stetch them by hands the process is even faster,
then please tell us what happens!
Grazie mille
Mimmo

Last edited:
They really did settle in quickly, I put them on about 3 pm and they were doing great by 6 pm and were fine by the morning.

I am delighted with the sound. I liked Carbonblack on that uke, but can't get them any more. I think these are better. I disliked the Sugar strings on it, so I'm not sure what kind of magic you worked this time, but they sound great. I also like Nylgut on this uke, but much prefer the Reds. They are louder than Nylgut, and, I think, brighter.

They also feel great. I prefer the thinness of fluorocarbon to Nylgut, and these are as thin as fluorocarbon. (As far as I can tell.) They don't make any whispery sounds and they don't feel rough. I like the tension, too. They are not low tension, but they're not high, either. Perhaps a bit more on the high end of the middle. Very comfortable.

Mimmo, you were kind enough to send me sets for soprano and tenor, as well. Would you like me to put those on, or is this enough feedback from one person. My other ukes don't really need a string change right now, but it wouldn't do them any harm. It just wouldn't happen till the weekend, I don't think.

Ziret.... sugar and metal powder togheter make the miracle. The sound is what I never heard on all the ukulele strings I have seen . I wonder: maybe it is too bright? These strings actually are of bridge between Carbon and metal strings (wait what happens in a couple of days..). Is it good for the ukulele? I remember its origin with gut strings, whose sound was warm, mellow and with no sustain. So crazy....
Mimmo

Last edited:
Interesting, I have a friend who dislikes Reds because he thinks they sound like steel strings. I'm going to see what he says about these and I'll let you know.

As for me, plenty of sustain is great--I don't think it's possible to have to much--and bright is great, particularly on a mahogany concert. But now I'm curious if they would be too much on a koa soprano. I haven't liked Reds on them, at all. I'll test that, I can always move them to the Flight soprano, which could use some brightening.

Excited to hear what they'll sound like tomorrow.

Mimmo,
Although I do prefer a thinner profile, I think I'll try the Sugar and the Sugar Reds, too, when they are on the market. Please keep us posted. I really liked the Reds, I think I like the Sugar Reds sound better...

The Sugar/Reds arrived Wednesday. I finally had the time to instal them on my Oscar Schmidt Laminated Tenor.
These are replacing Reds that had replaced Super Nylguts. So thrilled to say these have great warmth with bright clarity at the same time, no squeak at all and as smooth as the Carbonblacks I have on my solid acacia concert.
Without a doubt the closest I have felt to a fluorocarbons. Nice balance between the strings with great sustain.
I would buy a set for every uke I own just to see if they perform as well on other ukes.
I would hope that Aquila could produce a Baritone set also.
Thank you to Mimmo for the chance to try this new line. Hopefully they will make it to market.
I will try to give an update again tomorrow after some settling in and playing time.

Cheers,

Steve.

Great to herar that! thanks
At present I am very busy with the italian aquila ukulele fest there in my town (Vicenza)
https://aquilaukulelefestival.com/
and there:
https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=aquila corde armoniche srl

https://www.facebook.com/mercatinod...fSTEwMDAyNTkzNjUzOTUxNToxNjkxODQ2OTcyODk0MTQ/

Said that what i can tell you is:
1) I have done experimental sets for: Venezuelan Cuatro,. Cavaqhinho, Timple canario (I am thinking also for the 5 string banjo). Calssical guitar, Guilele/Guitalele A tuning
2) Baritone? Yes, of course guy

Please remember that the sound became better & better over the time: after 1 day it is far brighter than fluiorocabon strings (maybe too muchm, in my opinion)
Ciao!
Mimmo

Last edited:
Mimmo, I wanted to let you know of a potential problem with the A string on the concert set. I don't know whether it's simply a problem with the one I got, or all of them, but as I go up the neck, that one gets progressively more flat till it ends up a half step off. It's fine till about the 4th fret.

Teri

Top Bottom