Aquila red series set news: some volunteers are wecome

I was able to get more playing time this week with the Sugar/Reds. I would agree with Mimmo that they are brighter than they were at the initial installation but they still have balance between the strings and I don’t find them too bright. Still smooth under your fingers and no squeaking. I remain quite happy with them on this all laminate Tenor.
I am excited to eventually try them on my solid acacia concert and my tenor outdoor ukulele. I believe they will be just the ticket to bring the volume up on the OU. I am going to try a set of regular Sugars on the OU as I imagine they will bring it more voice as I eagerly await a possible release of these new Sugar/Reds.

Thanks again Mimmo for your progressive approach to string design and your involvement in the uke community.

I eagerly await a possible release of these new Sugar/Reds.

Thanks again Mimmo for your progressive approach to string design and your involvement in the uke community.

I concur with Spicysteve. Aquila has excellent quality and innovations in my experience. SUGAR REDS sound like a great concept and I would certainly buy them.

Ziret, I have never seen this thing.
All the samples are ok there.
I hyave not idea what happens.
However: the other strings are ok? what about the sound?
Mimmo

They sound wonderful. It takes my ear a minute to adjust, then I love it. I asked my friend who thinks reds sound too metallic, and he liked these.

I put them on a Flight (same as Mahilele) soprano which I think has too much midrange. They seemed like they needed more tension, so I tuned it up to D, and WOW. I've never heard anything like it. I bet they'd sound great on a Flea or a Fluke.

I received two sets from Mimmo (thanks a lot!), one for tenor and one set for soprano, which I now have tested for a bit.

I agree with Spicysteve that these strings produces both warmth and bright clarity. I also found them making the ukulele loader and with more sustain, as well as a less variation of tone/loudness on where you strum/pick on the strings (lengthwise). I also found that the feel appeals to me and I have not experienced any squeaking as been reported by the Sugar strings.

For now, these are the best strings I have ever tried, and I prefer them over the current Aquila Red as well the Sugar strings (which is also very good).

Thanks a lot Mimmo and I hope you will take these to production!!!

Cheers,
Joakim

Thanks guys,
I think it is time to introduce this improvement on the red series strings.
I will distinguish this model for a sign like this one: # I will add into the small white label that is on the envelope.
I am very happy: all positive rensponse even on classical guitar, cuatro, timple canario and cavaquinho. I will do soon the same job for the 5 string banjo.
mimmo

Last edited:
Thanks guys,
I will distinguish this model for a sign like this one: # I will add into the small white label that is on the envelope.
I am very happy: all positive rensponse even on classical guitar, cuatro, timple canario and cavaquinho. I will do soon the same job for the 5 string banjo.
mimmo

Hurrah! These are your best strings yet. I'll be buying them.

Thanks guys,
mimmo

Where can we find them?

were to find them? this is the real problem.
distributors are very slow.I will do the job begginning next week. I will inform all the bigger USA and EU distributors about this upgraded version of the red series.
in the meantime please go on our on line store.
Mimmo

Last edited:
I am excited!!!! I will be placing an order for multiple sets.

Thanks again Mimmo for all you do in the world of strings and the Ukulele community.

distributors are very slow.I will do the job begginning next week. I will inform all the bigger USA and EU distributors about this upgraded version of the red series.
Mimmo

Thank you!

Mimmo

I can’t figure out where to order them on your online store.

Mimmo...I wanted to order a set or two, but the only shipping option I can see is express at $20. I will have to wait until your distributors carry them. Also, how do we tell them apart? Now, they are just listed under “red” but the package is the same. If the packaging or name isn’t changed, I know there is going to be a mix up at different online sites and we will get the previous version not the sugar red.

I've got carbon blacks I put on my uke a bit over a year ago, so probably due a change (although still sounds pretty good to me)

I loved the original reds on my old uke, so definitely keen to get my hands on these new reds.
I considered ordering direct from the website, but i'm not going to pay $70 for strings.

An Australian store does say they have the new red strings, but what I don't know is if they mean the old new reds or the new new reds.
Mind you, they still list the carbon blacks too, so maybe I should stock up on a few different types. :D

I may have missed it, but is there a model number on these strings? I just got a set of AQ-83. Are they the same string? I actually put them on my handmade banjo uke, and really like the sound.

IMG_20190203_152029394.jpg

I have a set of red on the concert Kala I bought from someone, but not sure of the string model. Really like them, but always willing to try another.

Mimmo, I think it would be helpful to post picture of new Sugar Red packaging. I believe most guitar type stores won’t know difference so like posted said above they may have new to them Red but not necessarily the new Sugar Reds. It’s 2019 and I’m wanting to try both Sugars and the Sugar Reds. The later being you improved formula. I use Strings by Mail in USA as guitar stores near me are useless when it comes to ukulele string. They have some Red but probably old. Don’t know about sugars. If you have a sleeve you can post and advise if big USA on line stores have them now. Sorry I’m in Canada, not in major centre. I want to support these new strings.

This post was done in July 2018 and now we are in Febrary 2019; 8 months ago. The envelope is the same. After all this time I think that the distributors should all have automatically the upgraded sugar version. Not posible to distinguish the difference of the strings by eyes. They looks exactly the same. On the envelope there is a white sticker: see the date. If the date is from August 2018 they are surely based on sugar polymer.
mimmo

Thanks for the clarification, Mimmo! I also got the dates confused, the day/month are backwards, plus I still feel like it's 2018. :D

I can only order online (it's a full day's drive to the nearest instrument store), so can't check it out first. But at least I'll know what it is when I get it.

Top Bottom