Locking Cases?

Jerryc41

Reaction score
Most of my ukulele cases came with a pair of keys. I'll have to check sometime and see if all the cases have the same key. Maybe each brand uses just one key. I just can't see the value of locking a case. I'm sure a screwdriver could pop open a locked catch, and a thief could easily walk away with the whole case.

Have any of you ever locked your case?

I used to lock my guitar cases in high school to keep my friends from grabbing my instruments and to keep my parents from finding - other stuff. :p

Was it Jerry Lee Lewis who demanded payment from the promoter before he went on stage, in cash.
He then put the money in his guitar case and looped his mic cable around the case and through the handle?
h

I've only locked guitar cases when they have been checked in for air travel. I haven't seen a case yet that couldn't be opened with simple hand tools even if it was locked.

I never lock a case. All the keys to my cases are still in the plastic bags they came in.

I guess if you have little kiddos running about your house, locking a case might make sense. :)

I second Grizzly Adams. :agree: Funny though, I have made sure every hard case I have purchased had a lock.
A totally defeatable lock, but buy gosh it had to have it. :p

I've only locked guitar cases when they have been checked in for air travel. I haven't seen a case yet that couldn't be opened with simple hand tools even if it was locked.
I'd be careful of that. If your case gets tagged for a random check TSA will bust the lock.

Was it Jerry Lee Lewis who demanded payment from the promoter before he went on stage, in cash.
He then put the money in his guitar case and looped his mic cable around the case and through the handle?
h

I think it was Chuck Berry, who while being a great artist, a top notch composer and a foundation of rock n' roll, was a difficult and ornery character. Not only did he want payment in advance, he wanted it in cash, and wanted whoever the promoter was to provide a backup band…………...which Chuck (who usually showed up minutes before the show) refused to rehearse and communicate with.

Anyway, back to the lock question. I think I may have locked a case on an airplane flight once or twice, but basically, why bother...………..open or closed, it's easy to steal...……...and any rookie could pop open one those locks.

I have a few guitars with cases that have keys, but never used them or even looked at them. My uke cases are not lockable. Interestingly, about 40 years ago I bought a guitar case in a music store, and the keys that came with it were the same as two very different kinds of suitcases that were bought many years later. So there are certainly many generic locks and keys around. Obviously their use is more symbolic than theft preventing, but we also should not make it too easy.

Top Bottom