Happy Independance Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Down Up Dick

Reaction score
Happy Independance Day—play some rousing marches and sing a few songs of freedom. Eat lots of hot dogs and Mom’s apple pie. Join in the three legged race . . . Have a good, good day, but ALWAYS remember how good we got it. :eek:ld:

I hope that you gave a great holiday, too.

I just printed off America the Beautiful from the site that Choirguy posted in the tab section of UU, & will give that a test drive before my dogs have a nervous breakdown, (even with medication), from all the loud noises outside.

I hope that you gave a great holiday, too.

I just printed off America the Beautiful from the site that Choirguy posted in the tab section of UU, & will give that a test drive before my dogs have a nervous breakdown, (even with medication), from all the loud noises outside.
July is a hard month for my Minnie Aussie. It starts on July 4th & doesn't end until after July 24th .....Pioneer Day here is Utah. Pioneer Day is just as big, if not bigger, than the 4th. Utah folks are huge into fireworks. They travel over to Wyoming to buy the big ones. It sounds like a war zone every night for a large part of the month.

We started the day with red, white, and blue pancakes. Lunch will be burgers & home made fries. Apple crumb pie (made from apples off our tree) for dessert. And I'm sure there will some ukulele playing today. This Land Is Your Land is my favorite on the uke.

Happy 4th to all. From the balcony of my apartment I can see about 10 fireworks shows around the city. Going to stuff my face while I sit on chair enjoying the view. Maybe I should learn the "1812 Overture" while the fireworks take place, better yet, "America the Beautiful" instead.

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 3 acoustic bass ukes, 8 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. http://www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: https://www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos

July is a hard month for my Minnie Aussie. It starts on July 4th & doesn't end until after July 24th .....Pioneer Day here is Utah. Pioneer Day is just as big, if not bigger, than the 4th. Utah folks are huge into fireworks. They travel over to Wyoming to buy the big ones. It sounds like a war zone every night for a large part of the month.

We started the day with red, white, and blue pancakes. Lunch will be burgers & home made fries. Apple crumb pie (made from apples off our tree) for dessert. And I'm sure there will some ukulele playing today. This Land Is Your Land is my favorite on the uke.

Wow! Sounds scrumptious. We’re having pancakes (w/bacon) too—a rare treat for us weight watching old timers. My wife bought a package of bacon (usually verboten) for bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwiches that she was craving (YUM!), and we’ve been nibbling away at it. Today’s the last of it. We probably won’t have it again until our bacon cheeseburger feast with fries on the next special day.

I had apple pie once. It was good—ahhh, well . . . :eek:ld:

I heard Ray Charles’ “America the Beautiful” this morning. Boy (or girl) I love that piece. It really hit the spot today.

What’s your favorite patriotic piece? :eek:ld:

My grand daughter wanted to got to the parade. I've actually never gone to it before. I got up this morning and went downtown early to stake my claim on enough Mainstreet realty for four chairs and a stroller. My wife told me to take my ukuele to give me something to do for three hours while I guarded our claim. Good idea, I was pretty much all by myself down there for two of them. I have a lot of friends who like to tell me what I should do all the time. I'm trying to remember which one of those know-it-alls told me to get down there that early. I did get a lot of playing in though.

Not wishing to piss on your parades, but did any of you give a thought to the Native American people, whose land it was before they were dispossessed and almost wiped out by hordes of European (and other) invaders, just a few hundred years ago?

Not wishing to piss on your parades, but did any of you give a thought to the Native American people, whose land it was before they were dispossessed and almost wiped out by hordes of European (and other) invaders, just a few hundred years ago?

Every civilization is guilty of something, but most are guilty of many things. The use of the word "but" clearly negates all things before it.

"Every civilization is guilty of something, but most are guilty of many things."

Sadly, that is so true.

The past, whether we like it or not, is the past. ‘Bout the only things we can do is learn from it and try not to do stuff like it again.

Instead, people today seem to look for stuff to be angry and unhappy about, but we (in the US) have the freedom to try and be as happy as we can—lucky us . . . :eek:ld:

People take instruction from the history they know. As a result, I can't cast aspersions on modern Americans for how the Founding Fathers treated "merciless Indian Savages" any more than I can blame Angela Merkel for World War II. Don't be an armchair historian - judge cultures on how they act at the present.

Last edited:

But you ARE pissing on our parade. Wrong point to bring out on a very patriotic day in the USA (BTW, a good number of those hordes where Brits, your countrymen).

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 3 acoustic bass ukes, 8 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. http://www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: https://www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos

I'm closing this. It's not directly 'ukulele related so shouldn't have been posted in Uke Talk in the first place.

Independence Day marks a political milestone so it's not surprising that mention of it should prompt replies with political implications. None of the subsequent posts were any more inapporpriate than the OP, IMO.

That said, as this hasn't gone as smoothly as the OP obviously hoped with a well-intentioned opening post, we bid it goodnight.

"Say 'goodnight', Dick."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom