Koaloha ukulele in Australia

Puggerino

Reaction score
Hi,

I’m interested in purchasing a Koaloha concert ukulele.
I was thinking of purchasing from HMS, but with import tax, I can’t justify the purchase.
Does anyone know any other websites or stores located in Australia that sell Koaloha ukes?

Thanks in advance!

I did have a look at their website. And there’s only one store in the country on their list...
But thanks, I’ll send them an email and see what the say.

Hi,

I’m interested in purchasing a Koaloha concert ukulele.
I was thinking of purchasing from HMS, but with import tax, I can’t justify the purchase.
Does anyone know any other websites or stores located in Australia that sell Koaloha ukes?

Thanks in advance!

What import tax?
I live in Australia and have ordered from HMS many times, and never had to pay any extra tax. Just the cost of ukulele + shipping (though shipping is sometimes free from HMS for items over a certain amount).
As far as I know, you only pay import taxes if the item you buy is ridiculously expensive (like $10000+).

As much as I would like to support local businesses, branded ukuleles like Koaloha would be priced a lot higher here than elsewhere.
Then you'd be paying some sort of "import tax" included in the retail price, along with a very high profit margin for the local store.
You may find just ordering from HMS is the cheapest and best way to go - especially also since they do setups for you too.

they have sent me a new bridge when I lost the bridge on a road trip.

How does one lose a bridge (do you mean saddle?) on a roadtrip? Sounds like something that would happen in the Hangover series of movies!

What import tax?
I live in Australia and have ordered from HMS many times, and never had to pay any extra tax. Just the cost of ukulele + shipping (though shipping is sometimes free from HMS for items over a certain amount).
As far as I know, you only pay import taxes if the item you buy is ridiculously expensive (like $10000+).

As much as I would like to support local businesses, branded ukuleles like Koaloha would be priced a lot higher here than elsewhere.
Then you'd be paying some sort of "import tax" included in the retail price, along with a very high profit margin for the local store.
You may find just ordering from HMS is the cheapest and best way to go - especially also since they do setups for you too.

Really?! I did a bit of research and if the value is over $1k then you have to pay import tax...
Can I ask what if the value of your uke is < or >1k?

Really?! I did a bit of research and if the value is over $1k then you have to pay import tax...
Can I ask what if the value of your uke is < or >1k?

Unless the laws have changed recently, I've purchased several items over $1000, including ukuleles, without ever paying any extra taxes.
Even with the price declared honestly on the customs form.

edit: I just checked the government's website, and it seems you're right. They say things over $1000 need to pay import tax
https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/impo/buyi

Maybe this rule is not heavily enforced at the post office?? I have never been made to pay this tax.

And not that I advocate this or anything, but would there be an ukulele expert at the customs office who knows the ukulele's exact value?
Who's to say it isn't a $999 instrument? ;)

It is not an import tax. It is a Goods and Service tax, you pay it every day on almost everything you buy in Australia. There are some exempt things like food. The Govt has set the threshold for imports at $1000 because it costs too much to collect it on items which cost less. If you buy a ukulele in Australia for any price, you will pay the Goods and Services Tax (GST). Local sellers have to collect the tax for the Government.
So you pay GST on every new ukulele you buy from a shop in Australia, even if it only costs $30. If you find an importer of Koaloha ukuleles, they have to charge you 10% GST when you buy any musical instrument from the shop.
This information is not a secret, it is surprising to find anyone who does not realise they are paying GST all the time. Every Tax Invoice has a line on it for the GST, often it will say "GST Included".

As a fellow Aussie, I'm all-too-familiar with our GST.
I was just not aware they charge GST somehow on items you buy from overseas that are over $1000.
How is it even enforced?

Let's say I buy a $1001 ukulele on HMS (who presumably don't have Australian GST included in their prices).
The ukulele comes to me via air parcel, either to my front door or for collection at the post office.
At what point am I paying GST on it? I've never encountered the GST police at the post office telling me to pay extra.
Is it perhaps subject to audit? Has the sender already paid it when they declare it at customs outbound through the postal service, and is included in their postage and handling?

Having sold instruments to buyers in Australia, I can attest that I am not required to pay GST. However, I am required to file a Customs Declaration stating the value of the instrument. Presumably, when the item is received in the buyer's country, the customs house determines if additional fees need to be paid by the buyer, based on the Customs Declaration. I have been asked to falsify these documents in the past by overseas buyers, which I won't do.

I know in the US, overseas packages are often subject to "brokerage fees," which is the shipping company's way of trying to charge you for their hassle of bringing your package through US Customs. I have never been charged extra tax or government fees from buying from overseas, but it may simply be that I've never bought anything valuable enough to require it.

It can be collected if they hold the item at a Customs place, or at the post office where it is held for collection until you pay. Overseas sellers don't collect the GST. I have no idea how they work out whether to charge for it.
This came into effect on 1 July

https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/busi...ods/importing-goods/duty-rates-and-taxes/low-

Ah if it's effective from 1st July, I guess it's a new sort of thing.
Haven't ordered anything over $1000 recently (I rarely do anyway) :) Thanks for the heads up

The Koaloha website does list 2 dealers in Australia. You can check them out for yourself. My local music store usually stocks a few Koaloha Opio's so I know they are available in Australia.

In July 2018, Music City Cairns had stocks of Hawaiian built KoAloha tenors in Koa, Mango and Mahogany. as well as concerts, and sopranos. also electric slimline tenors. If you phone them, Ryo or Ric Montgomery will give you a good run down on the different models. They both play their own KoAlohas professionally. M.C. also has in stock Kamaka and Kanilea from Hawaii.

Top Bottom