Wanted: Martin Custom Shop Ukulele Reviews

Martinlover

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Review Wanted: Martin Custom Shop Ukulele

I don’t see much about the high-end ukuleles made by Martin’s Custom Shop. Anyone own one or have played one? What’s the deal with the Custom Shop vs. their lower priced ukes? I suspect it is like what Ko’olau is to Pono. But maybe the Martin CS ukes don’t live up to the hype?

Last edited:
I would also be interested in such reviews, although the OP's suggestion that Martin ukes may be more hype than substance strikes me as entirely baseless speculation. Martin knows a thing or two about the manufacture of world-class instruments, played by the world's best players. If you want to speculate, I'd infer from the quality of their top-end guitars that their CS ukes would be the equal of or superior to virtually any alternatives. But that, too, would be mere speculation, albeit based on Martin's actual history and reputation.

I would also be interested in such reviews, although the OP's suggestion that Martin ukes may be more hype than substance strikes me as entirely baseless speculation. Martin knows a thing or two about the manufacture of world-class instruments, played by the world's best players. If you want to speculate, I'd infer from the quality of their top-end guitars that their CS ukes would be the equal of or superior to virtually any alternatives. But that, too, would be mere speculation, albeit based on Martin's actual history and reputation.

Well said!

Just trying to get a response—not to dis Martin. You can tell by my handle I like ‘em. However, their non-US made ukuleles are not that great in my opinion. Also I can’t seem to able to change the top title of this thread from “Wanted-Martin-Custom-Shop-Ukulele-Reviews” to “Reviews-Wanted: Martin-Custom-Shop-Ukuleles.”

Well said!

You guys must have missed the OP's name......it' Martinlover :D

At one time I asked about Martin factory tours, and the consensus then was that there were no factory tours and no factory sales.
Today I looked at the MartinGuitar site and found this page: https://www.martinguitar.com/about/visit-us/buy-from-factory-program/
You can now visit the Martin Factory and buy a Martin instrument while you are there. Google maps says that the Martin factory is only 76 miles from New York City. It is only 152 miles from Woodstock. If you live in most of NE USA, you may be able to take a day trip to the factory and ask directly at the factory. The tour may include a visit to the custom shop.
I know it may not be so simple, but why would you be worrying about a shop or middle man if you can go direct to the factory?

What a great answer Bill. You have put a seed of desire into my head. A road trip from the Toronto Canada area to Nazareth Pennsylvania for a Martin factory tour is now on my bucket list.

At one time I asked about Martin factory tours, and the consensus then was that there were no factory tours and no factory sales.
Today I looked at the MartinGuitar site and found this page: https://www.martinguitar.com/about/visit-us/buy-from-factory-program/
You can now visit the Martin Factory and buy a Martin instrument while you are there. Google maps says that the Martin factory is only 76 miles from New York City. It is only 152 miles from Woodstock. If you live in most of NE USA, you may be able to take a day trip to the factory and ask directly at the factory. The tour may include a visit to the custom shop.
I know it may not be so simple, but why would you be worrying about a shop or middle man if you can go direct to the factory?

Bill you just opened a can of worms
PA is also a no sales tax state. I go there all the time !

Dave: let’s go and meet Joseph there.

Wow, I wonder who told you that there were no Martin factory tours-- they have been offering them for years, and it's a wonderful tour. I have taken it several times over the years, and it is well worth the time and effort.

Edit to add: Yes, you can now buy a Martin direct at the factory, but you will pay full list-- far more than you would pay a retailer.

Last edited:
Bill you just opened a can of worms
PA is also a no sales tax state. I go there all the time !

Dave: let’s go and meet Joseph there.

PA does not charge sales tax on clothing and groceries. They most certainly charge tax on musical instruments! Nearby Delaware, however, doesn't charge sales tax on anything.

Just trying to get a response—not to dis Martin. You can tell by my handle I like ‘em. However, their non-US made ukuleles are not that great in my opinion. Also I can’t seem to able to change the top title of this thread from “Wanted-Martin-Custom-Shop-Ukulele-Reviews” to “Reviews-Wanted: Martin-Custom-Shop-Ukuleles.”

I have ordered 5 Martin customs over the years and there hasn't been a dud in the bunch. The craftsmanship has been flawless and I just couldn't have been happier. As you can tell, I'm a huge Martin fan while all the customs have been flawless in workmanship and sound, sometimes you just get that one special ukulele that stands out. For me, that stand-out was/is a standard production Martin 1T-IZ. This ukulele just has the sound I really love. A strum and the entire ukulele vibrates and the tone it produces is classic Martin. This one will never leave me.

I will also have to say, I've been very impressed with the C1K, S1 and T1K I have ordered and received. I was not able to find a flaw anywhere in the craftsmanship and setup was a nice medium. Sound was awesome as well, on all of them. However, the one standout from this line for me was the C1K, it was just fantastic and special.

Just my thoughts and good luck in your endeavor.

Jim

I have ordered 5 Martin customs over the years and there hasn't been a dud in the bunch. The craftsmanship has been flawless and I just couldn't have been happier. As you can tell, I'm a huge Martin fan while all the customs have been flawless in workmanship and sound, sometimes you just get that one special ukulele that stands out. For me, that stand-out was/is a standard production Martin 1T-IZ. This ukulele just has the sound I really love. A strum and the entire ukulele vibrates and the tone it produces is classic Martin. This one will never leave me.

I will also have to say, I've been very impressed with the C1K, S1 and T1K I have ordered and received. I was not able to find a flaw anywhere in the craftsmanship and setup was a nice medium. Sound was awesome as well, on all of them. However, the one standout from this line for me was the C1K, it was just fantastic and special.

Just my thoughts and good luck in your endeavor.

Jim

Thanks Jim. This is the kind of information I was wondering about. Appreciate it, Jo.

Just to set the record straight on a few things...

The Martin factory has featured tours for deacades, beginning shortly after the current factory opened in 1964 I believe. I took my first tour in 1986 and will be taking my 44th in August at the UMGF’s annual Martin fest.

As of last year, it is now officially possible to buy an instrument at the factory. (It has been unofficially possible for many, many years but neither encouraged nor advertised.) To do so, you would let them know upon arrival that you’re interested in buying an instrument. A customer service rep will then help you make your selection and together you will choose and contact an authorized Martin dealer. The sale is finalized with and credited to that dealer. You do not have to pay full retail, but you do have to pay MAP (Minimum Advertsed Price) which is the minimum price dealers are allowed to advertise in print and online. Many dealers do, in fact, sell Martins well below MAP in their shops or over the phone.

I have played many outstanding Martin custom guitars over the years (in fact Iown one) and several custom Martin Ukes. They have all been extraordinarily well-crafted instruments. Tone is, of course, subjective so all I can tell you is that I personally feel that almost all of the examples I’ve played were, in my opinion, well worth the money invested (and some of the custom shop guitars I’ve played were in the >$10,000 range).

As for the Mexican made Martin Ukes, I have never played a C1K that didn’t impress me, although I’ve come across a few T1Ks that didn’t trip my trigger. Likewise, most of the S1s I’ve come across have been classic examples of of well-made mahogany Martin sopranos. Not necessarily on par with most vintage Style 0s, but they also don’t have 60+ years of mojo under their tops yet. The HPL Martin Ukes I have found to be extremely consistent across the board. Well made, durable, very good sounding instruments and an excellent choice for a travel Uke in particular. Martin’s facility in Mexico is held to the same high standard of excellence as the Nazareth factory, they just make a more affordable product line.

All of this is just my personal experience with Martin over the last 30 years or so. As always, YMMV. If anyone wants their own hands on experience, the 11th annual event “Martin on Main” will take place in downtown Nazareth on August 4, coinciding with the 16th annual UMGF Martin Fest August 3-5. Most of the UMGF festivities take place at Nazareth Boro. Park on Friday and Sunday, and we provide the entertainment on the town square on Saturday. Technically, the UMGF stuff is for forum members but if you want to stop by the large pavilion at the park on Friday or Sunday after 10:00am for cameraderie and endless jamming, just tell them Scooter sent you and you’all be welcomed with open arms. (Interested parties can PM me for more details.)

Peace,

Scooter

Hope I’m not changing the subject too much, but would anyone that knows care to share what kind of custom options the custom shop offers?

Thanks in advance,
M

As for the Mexican made Martin Ukes, I have never played a C1K that didn’t impress me, although I’ve come across a few T1Ks that didn’t trip my trigger. Likewise, most of the S1s I’ve come across have been classic examples of of well-made mahogany Martin sopranos. Not necessarily on par with most vintage Style 0s, but they also don’t have 60+ years of mojo under their tops yet.

I have to say I have compared my vintage Martin O soprano to a newer Mexican made soprano and the difference was huge. My SAS (soprano acquisition syndrome) is completely satisfied with my vintage Martin O. Maybe I am expecting too much from a newer custom Martin concert or tenor. My old Martin tenor is not my favorite to play because of the tuners. I have still not committed to switching out the tuners. Yet the soprano came to me with waverly tuners (originals sent along as well) and maybe that is why it is more of a joy to play. The other reason I am thinking about a newer model Martin is so I can beat on it a little more (is that wrong?). The old Martins scratch easily and I am a bit of a klutz.

I'm pretty sure you can order from the custom shop about any configuration you can think of. Any size in Style 3 or Style 3k, change tuners to Peghead, or Grover, etc. I think if you're so inclined, you could order a Style 5K Tenor. So, I think the sky and your imagination would be the limit.

Jim

Top Bottom