Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wanted: Martin Custom Shop Ukulele Reviews

Default Review Wanted: Martin Custom Shop Ukulele

I donít see much about the high-end ukuleles made by Martinís Custom Shop. Anyone own one or have played one? Whatís the deal with the Custom Shop vs. their lower priced ukes? I suspect it is like what Koíolau is to Pono. But maybe the Martin CS ukes donít live up to the hype?
    Last edited by Martinlover; 07-05-2018 at 11:31 AM.

I would also be interested in such reviews, although the OP's suggestion that Martin ukes may be more hype than substance strikes me as entirely baseless speculation. Martin knows a thing or two about the manufacture of world-class instruments, played by the world's best players. If you want to speculate, I'd infer from the quality of their top-end guitars that their CS ukes would be the equal of or superior to virtually any alternatives. But that, too, would be mere speculation, albeit based on Martin's actual history and reputation.

Quote Originally Posted by GmanJeff View Post
    I would also be interested in such reviews, although the OP's suggestion that Martin ukes may be more hype than substance strikes me as entirely baseless speculation. Martin knows a thing or two about the manufacture of world-class instruments, played by the world's best players. If you want to speculate, I'd infer from the quality of their top-end guitars that their CS ukes would be the equal of or superior to virtually any alternatives. But that, too, would be mere speculation, albeit based on Martin's actual history and reputation.
    Well said!
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a vet.

Just trying to get a response—not to dis Martin. You can tell by my handle I like ‘em. However, their non-US made ukuleles are not that great in my opinion. Also I can’t seem to able to change the top title of this thread from “Wanted-Martin-Custom-Shop-Ukulele-Reviews” to “Reviews-Wanted: Martin-Custom-Shop-Ukuleles.”

Quote Originally Posted by GmanJeff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
    Well said!
    You guys must have missed the OP's name......it' Martinlover
    All the best,
    Campbell

YouTube Videos & Tabs
    https://www.youtube.com/user/camsuke

Quote Originally Posted by Bill1 View Post
    At one time I asked about Martin factory tours, and the consensus then was that there were no factory tours and no factory sales.
    Today I looked at the MartinGuitar site and found this page: https://www.martinguitar.com/about/v...ctory-program/
    You can now visit the Martin Factory and buy a Martin instrument while you are there. Google maps says that the Martin factory is only 76 miles from New York City. It is only 152 miles from Woodstock. If you live in most of NE USA, you may be able to take a day trip to the factory and ask directly at the factory. The tour may include a visit to the custom shop.
    I know it may not be so simple, but why would you be worrying about a shop or middle man if you can go direct to the factory?
    What a great answer Bill. You have put a seed of desire into my head. A road trip from the Toronto Canada area to Nazareth Pennsylvania for a Martin factory tour is now on my bucket list.
    Ukuleles.............yes please !!!!

At one time I asked about Martin factory tours, and the consensus then was that there were no factory tours and no factory sales.
    Today I looked at the MartinGuitar site and found this page: https://www.martinguitar.com/about/v...ctory-program/
    You can now visit the Martin Factory and buy a Martin instrument while you are there. Google maps says that the Martin factory is only 76 miles from New York City. It is only 152 miles from Woodstock. If you live in most of NE USA, you may be able to take a day trip to the factory and ask directly at the factory. The tour may include a visit to the custom shop.
    I know it may not be so simple, but why would you be worrying about a shop or middle man if you can go direct to the factory?
    Bill you just opened a can of worms
    PA is also a no sales tax state. I go there all the time !

Dave: letís go and meet Joseph there.
    Brenda

Please participate in our Mike Lynch tribute thread :
    http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...Tribute-Videos

Quote Originally Posted by SoloRule View Post
    We have a 6% state sales tax in PA.
    My Ukuleles: A Hawaiian, an Oregonian, and a Kiwi.

Wow, I wonder who told you that there were no Martin factory tours-- they have been offering them for years, and it's a wonderful tour. I have taken it several times over the years, and it is well worth the time and effort.

Edit to add: Yes, you can now buy a Martin direct at the factory, but you will pay full list-- far more than you would pay a retailer.
    Last edited by RichM; 07-13-2018 at 02:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SoloRule View Post
    Bill you just opened a can of worms

Dave: let’s go and meet Joseph there.
    PA does not charge sales tax on clothing and groceries. They most certainly charge tax on musical instruments! Nearby Delaware, however, doesn't charge sales tax on anything.

Thread Information