Pono taropatch concert vs Pono 8-string mahogony tenor - anyone played both?

Photodan

Reaction score
I'm considering picking up an 8-string of some sort and wondered if anyone has played these two? I know that the taropatch models either have just low g or high g tuning and the regular 8 string has high and low g and c strings. Any input would be appreciated, I don't live near any dealers that have either one.

I'm considering picking up an 8-string of some sort and wondered if anyone has played these two? I know that the taropatch models either have just low g or high g tuning and the regular 8 string has high and low g and c strings. Any input would be appreciated, I don't live near any dealers that have either one.

Anyone? I know these aren't as common

Anyone? I know these aren't as common

I played the 8-spring tenor briefly at a jam. It’s a sweet instrument. Aside from the octave courses you noted, the big difference typically is that a taropatch is concert scale and the 8-string will be designated either tenor or baritone. I don’t know if Pono makes an 8-string baritone.

I played the 8-spring tenor briefly at a jam. It’s a sweet instrument. Aside from the octave courses you noted, the big difference typically is that a taropatch is concert scale and the 8-string will be designated either tenor or baritone. I don’t know if Pono makes an 8-string baritone.

Yes, I'm aware of that and my first uke is a concert and I've been leaning toward the tenor but when I upgrade my Cordoba concert to the next 4 string I could do a tenor then. Thanks for the input. I don't think in the grand scheme many people are playing the extra string models, at least that's how it seems on the forums.

I have a Pono 8 tiring mahagony deluxe model with a Baggs 5.0 pickup, sounds great plugged or unplugged.
According to the ukulele site and Andrew my 8 string is a one off deluxe model with premium figured mahogany.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Yes, I'm aware of that and my first uke is a concert and I've been leaning toward the tenor but when I upgrade my Cordoba concert to the next 4 string I could do a tenor then. Thanks for the input. I don't think in the grand scheme many people are playing the extra string models, at least that's how it seems on the forums.

Agreed. The vast majority of ukers play 4-strings, and those who have 5-, 6-, or 8-strings (or even tiples!) primarily play 4-stringers.

I have a Pono 8 tiring mahagony deluxe model with a Baggs 5.0 pickup, sounds great plugged or unplugged.
According to the ukulele site and Andrew my 8 string is a one off deluxe model with premium figured mahogany.

View attachment 110302

View attachment 110303

That one's a beauty! I'm not seeing the one with electronics on sale anywhere but I think I would like a pickup in case I was able to play at church.

That one's a beauty! I'm not seeing the one with electronics on sale anywhere but I think I would like a pickup in case I was able to play at church.

I’m sure that The Ukulele Site would be happy to install a pickup for you; or with Andrew’s connections, he could probably have one made at Pono with electronics in it.

And that Mahogany sure does look great!

Top Bottom