Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 16 of 16

Thread: ....what could possibly go wrong?

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Blackpool Sands, Devon
    Posts
    126

    Default

    I'm no expert, but maybe have it checked out to find why it is bulging, is there a problem with bracing inside coming loose, or maybe use a lighter gauge of strings (something I had to do on a Tokai). Whilst the work you have carried out no doubt makes it playable I just wonder if things may continue to deteriorate further
    Tin Guitar Custom "Smiler"
    Martin S1
    Ohana SK21-A
    Eko Microlele
    Epihone Hummingbird Tenor
    Kala Waterman
    Ohana TPK-25G

    The truth is, I don't know.....

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    SE Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    926

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Booli View Post
    Since my obsession with testing hundreds of different string sets started like 3 yrs ago, and wanting to be able to re-use/re-install the strings on other ukes, I've almost exclusively knotted all the strings and fed them thru beads, regardless if it is a tie-bridge.

    If I am using a uke with a slotted bridge, I just do not use the beads.

    I bought maybe 6 different types and sizes of beads, also from Michael's, that came on a string, for like $3-4 per pack of 50 or so beads.

    They are a dark, metallic grey color, and look like the semi-precious stone 'Hematite' but I think they are made of glass. I also use them on my classical guitars as well.

    I find that not only do they offer a much better break-angle over the saddle as stated by the OP, but the strings also seem to last longer, especially if changed and moved to another instrument before they are worn out.

    With a tie-bridge, when you tie the strings on, if you want to re-use them, you really need to cut off the section that was previously tied, since it is usually weakened from the twisting and stress from tension, and will usually break after a while at the bridge if re-installed with the old creases and thinned out areas from the previous installation.

    Cutting off this twisted-up section of string, you will lose about 4-5 inches of string length so re-using the strings can be problematic if you did not leave enough extra at the tuner ends. I always have about 6-7 wraps around the tuner post when tuned to pitch, with a tail of about 2" excess no matter what instrument.

    Some folks dont like the 'look' but it's worked for me for a very long time now.
    I've got those "hematite" beads on the G and A strings in the picture. I got mine at A.C Moore Crafts where they were labeled as Czech glass beads but were packed 8 on a string for $1.99. I really do like the look of them the best.

    I worried that plastic beads might have sharper edges which might cut nylguts easily, unless they've improved nylguts that is. Back when they first came out, a sharp look would cut them in a split second.
    Last edited by Swamp Yankee; 07-07-2018 at 01:53 AM.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    SE Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    926

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dansimpson View Post
    I'm no expert, but maybe have it checked out to find why it is bulging, is there a problem with bracing inside coming loose, or maybe use a lighter gauge of strings (something I had to do on a Tokai). Whilst the work you have carried out no doubt makes it playable I just wonder if things may continue to deteriorate further
    It likely will continue to get worse. It's a very lightly built and inexpensive solid mahogany uke that is some 13 years old now. Nevertheless, it has a sweet, loud voice and a screwed on bridge. I don't think there are any loose braces... they're just bending, along with the top. I'm not sure putting a few hundred dollars worth of work into is a worthwhile investment.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Blackpool Sands, Devon
    Posts
    126

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Yankee View Post
    It likely will continue to get worse. It's a very lightly built and inexpensive solid mahogany uke that is some 13 years old now. Nevertheless, it has a sweet, loud voice and a screwed on bridge. I don't think there are any loose braces... they're just bending, along with the top. I'm not sure putting a few hundred dollars worth of work into is a worthwhile investment.
    In that case I would probably bin it and get something else, I wouldnt want to play something that I felt would only deteriorate, but hey, like I said, Im no expert, just as humble uke player, have fun, live long and prosper :-)
    Tin Guitar Custom "Smiler"
    Martin S1
    Ohana SK21-A
    Eko Microlele
    Epihone Hummingbird Tenor
    Kala Waterman
    Ohana TPK-25G

    The truth is, I don't know.....

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    SE Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    926

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dansimpson View Post
    In that case I would probably bin it and get something else, I wouldnt want to play something that I felt would only deteriorate, but hey, like I said, Im no expert, just as humble uke player, have fun, live long and prosper :-)
    Oh heck no! I'll play it till it's no longer playable then I'll hang it on the wall. It's such a sweet sounding uke and it's given me the best song I've ever made up yet.
    Sopranos: aNueNue Khaya Mahogany 1, Bruko No. 6; Kiwaya KS-1; Kiwaya KTS-4; Kiwaya KTS-4K; Martin S-O
    Concerts:Cahaya CY-0112; Kiwaya KTC-1; Martin C-1 (ca. 1947-1955); Musicguymic's Kolohe
    Tenors: Cordoba 24T; Kiwaya KTT-2K
    Baritones: Cordoba 24B

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Woodstock NY USA
    Posts
    491

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Yankee View Post
    so... I'm re-inventing the wheel

    I'm looking for beads with letters on them so I can name the strings for my wife...
    Pepe Romero strings come with numbered beads, if that helps.
    E50AC817-A974-493A-A6EB-04AB9C76318C.jpg
    Last edited by Martinlover; 07-21-2018 at 08:20 AM. Reason: Fixed image

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •