What is that thingy on Jake's ukulele?

I think that this is a good observation. I can understand that one should be concerned about the force that such a strap would exert on the sound hole/soundboard but in reality, are such concerns justified or just an unnecessary worry?

No they are not, except maybe some surface scratches when removing the thing from soundhole or if it is moving. The force is to the ground direction (tangential to the top) at the soundhole edge. Comes from uke weight and what your right arm does to support the uke for leaving left hand of not needing to support the neck if wanted.

Regarding Willle's Trigger all bets are off though how long if will last, though the damage is mainly in the bridge area. But it is terrible ones.

Del Rey also uses a similar strap system 'from below', I believe meant for a clarinet. The wide metal part doesn't make much sense in distributing pressure (the pressure's on the soundhole's edge) but I can see it doubling as a scratch guard. Do all soundholes on current ukuleles have the same size? I do like the doubled weaving on the other part that supports the ukulele, at the bottom - very thoughtful.

No they are not, except maybe some surface scratches when removing the thing from soundhole or if it is moving. The force is to the ground direction (tangential to the top) at the soundhole edge. Comes from uke weight and what your right arm does to support the uke for leaving left hand of not needing to support the neck if wanted.

Regarding Willle's Trigger all bets are off though how long if will last, though the damage is mainly in the bridge area. But it is terrible ones.
From day one when Willie bought that guitar, does anyone think that he ever cared one bit about getting scratches and dents in it from the hook on his strap?

From day one when Willie bought that guitar, does anyone think that he ever cared one bit about getting scratches and dents in it from the hook on his strap?

Willie has Trigger serviced regularly to guarantee that it remains structurally sound, even though it is cosmetically....errr... unique. Trigger will outlive Willie and most of us, too, no doubt.

I think a sound hole hook would work fine...until I trip on a mic cord or do something stupid that would create a hard yank on the hook.

Found this online...
guild_soundhole1.jpg
"This poor Guild belongs to a wonderful singer/songwriter who tripped while installing her feedbackbuster as she was getting on stage and pushed the soundhole in."

Top Bottom