SOTU 334 Songs For Lesley (barefootgypsy)

Hey sis, struggling for words here.
I hope this song says at least some of them.
One of my most favourite songs in the whole world.

It's a pleasure to dig out a couple of uplifting songs for Lesley this week. (And I'm sure she already knows what one of my Christmas songs will be...) Anyway, for today, a little something by Johnny Nash

Here’s a song from the kids’ show Mr. Rogers Neighborhood that strikes me as encouraging.

I've always loved this song, but had no idea who George Formby was when I was a kid, I knew this one by Paul Evans. I've played it around the house some before, but never recorded it. First take here.

I used to love when Porter Wagoner would do this song on his TV show. This seems like a good week to finally try it.

What a great way to honor such a terrific person and her contributions to SOTU, Linda! Lesley's smile always brighthens my day and lifts my spirits, sure hope I can join in on this Season!

Count on Me, a song for Leslie the barefootgypsy. Wishing you well Leslie! Sorry about the wheezing :) Thanks for hosting Linda~

Last edited:
Being quite new to the Seasons, I didn't know Lesley. Nonetheless I was deeply moved when I read about her illness!
On her Youtube-channel are a good number of slightly jazzy songs, that would take me some days to learn them.
So for my first song this Season, I chose Can't help falling in love, of which I played the melody on my electric tenor guitar.

OK, just for you Lesley, I'll do an extra one today...
To be perfectly honest, I don't actually like George Formby (I know, I know, the uke police are heading my way already), but just this once...and as long as I don't have to play it like him...

George DeltaBoi Formby sent his cousin over in the UK a novelty song he wrote for a minstrel show.
It never quite caught on in the Mississippi delta, indeed there was a petition signed by the
Belles of Alabama to have the singing this song banned due to its salacious nature , since it
was deemed to be promoting promiscuity. Never the less in the UK DeltaBoi's cousin changed the tempo
threw in a few split and fan strokes and sang it with a Yorkshire accent and it became an instant hit.
For historical reasons it would be remiss to not air the original blues version by Deltaboi
just so you can compare it to the more popular version that his cousin made famous in the UK.

Life can be so cruel sometimes but the Important thing is to crack on and deal with the cards we've been dealt. I don't do the sympathy or sadness thing so I'll try and bring something light to the season later in the week.
I seem to associate Lesley with UkeyDave, probably because of this encounter.........

Last edited:
Hey sis, struggling for words here.
I hope this song says at least some of them.
One of my most favourite songs in the whole world.

This is a must watch. Jon, this is beautiful and touching. The added pictures of Lesley really brings her spirit. What a beauty she is!

This video also shows the Green Summerhouse Uke Leslie is offering as a prize this week.

Two weeks ago Manitoba Hal paid a visit to Lesley's home.

This story is taken from Leslie's facebook page -

This is Hal..... Manitoba Hal Brolund and Nicole Colbeck his manager.... What lovely people... They took time out of their UK tour and called to see us. Had a lovely afternoon! Of course I had to take them down the garden to see my summerhouse! There Hal spotted my rather basic three-stringed diddly-bo... He tuned it and played it! Fabulous. How lovely that they came....

35924590_10155692317976545_9220289981208068096_n.jpg

And here is Manitoba Hal playing her Green Summerhouse Uke!

36847737_10155728175581545_1956713767785988096_n.jpg

Thanks so much for this Jon!

Dear Linda and Lesley,

The Seasons has brought a great many people comfort and joy and this season dedication is very special. I know how uplifting it is in difficult times, and my hope is to contribute in some small way to yours. I will check the lists and hopefully bring a worthy vid.

Best to you both and all within our community,
Gina

George DeltaBoi Formby sent his cousin over in the UK a novelty song he wrote for a minstrel show.
It never quite caught on in the Mississippi delta, indeed there was a petition signed by the
Belles of Alabama to have the singing this song banned due to its salacious nature , since it
was deemed to be promoting promiscuity. Never the less in the UK DeltaBoi's cousin changed the tempo
threw in a few split and fan strokes and sang it with a Yorkshire accent and it became an instant hit.
For historical reasons it would be remiss to not air the original blues version by Deltaboi
just so you can compare it to the more popular version that his cousin made famous in the UK.

YORKSHIRE!?

George was a proud Wigan lad, I'll be having none of this Yorkshire nonsense

(Apologies Steve)

YORKSHIRE!?

(Apologies Steve)
No apology needed. Nonsense is spoken fluently by many Yorkshire men, but as you rightly point out, George Formby wasn't one of them.:D

This is an original that I wrote about 3 years ago for Lesley's season 164: All the Fun of the Fair. She liked it enough that she sent me a prize for it, so I thought it would be appropriate to record again for this week. I changed some of the chords a little from the previous version.

Everything Is Magical - Jeremy Messersmith

This is from his 2017 album "11 Obscenely Optimistic Songs For Ukulele: A Micro Folk Record For The 21st Century And Beyond" which is an absolute treasure. I hope this warms your heart.

YORKSHIRE!?

Flat cap buck teeth strange accent... it is enough to confuse a tall man
Was he on Wigan pier when Orwell wrote it... did he fly the Aspidistra
Did he consider all art to be propaganda?

Top Bottom