SOTU 334 Songs For Lesley (barefootgypsy)

My stupid allergies kept me up until like three AM so I had occasion to poor over the George Formby stuff...been a while since I have revisited it and so very worthwhile I reckon. Anyway, George's last record was a 7" for PYE in May of 1960 and there is a gem of a song on it called "Happy Go Lucky Me." I miss-spoke on the video, it was the A side of the 45, and I figured I would give it a go.Been a while since I have picked up anything but a Baritone, and a banjolele from the late 20's does not afford anywhere near the neck room...in fact, it is fall smaller than a Soprano uke neck for those of you who have not played one. Go easy on me. Some of my changes are not real clean. Makes what George did with them even more impressive I think.

And here is George doing it...because he is joy personified and everyone should hear this record.

And I knew I could find it! Here is Pabrizzer doing it as well...A MIND BLOWING take on the song from season 163

Last edited:
Another Formby tune. It has been years since I totally binned the idea that I could play like he did, and well, sadly my five banjoleles tend to gather dust.
Here is what I can do. I can take a great old song and put my stamp on it, undoubtedly wrecking it entirely for some. I have the sense that Lesley is neither a purist or a stickler for authenticity, so here is a song about a little ukulele played on a big ukulele and all Cloverdaled up.
Of course when invited, I am always going to at least trot out a little schoolyard humor. George was famous for his double entendre that was often very thinly veiled.
Here is an example of that ;)

I did this one awhile back, but recorded it again for this week. This was one of my very favorite records when I was a kid, listened to it repeatedly on many occasions, and I still love this song.

One of the songs Lesley sings is It had to be you.
As I already mentioned, I had to learn some diminished and augmented chords to play it:

A collaboration with Linda (Turtledrum) for Lesley~ I played ukes and sang a few harmonies. Linda did the heavy vocal work and I thought her voice really was a perfect fit for this song. Linda also made the lovely video . . .

I saw on FB that Lesley loves this song. I love it too! Hope you will like my version, Lesley!
and Linda, thank you so much for doing this.

probably my last one this week, unless I can find the energy to learn Troubador. Introducing some future seasonistas Le Mei, Sophie and Reina :)

I made Jon dance for this video and he gladly did, with grace, and with a very big umbrella in a tiny kitchen.
The 2 drawings at the end were made for Lesley.

334-3

Lesley wrote this song and sent it to me while i was going through chemo and radiation. It meant a lot to me. It came to mind a few months back so I looked it up in my journal and then I asked her for the lyrics and chords. When this season came about I knew I had to present it back to her.

So here it is Lesley. Not a pretty as when you sing it....

Another George number. I’m trying to play quietly because Mrs. Pavement isn’t feeling so well and is trying to sleep, so maybe turn it up a bit. Or don’t and save yourselves while you still can.

I picked this song for a few reasons, which I'll outline below.

1. Leslie did this for season 116, and she said that it was her parents' special song at the time, so I thought she'd like it.

2. When I was picking songs, we had issues with our wood heater and the house filled with smoke so I literally had smoke in my eyes.

3. When I first started making videos for the seasons, Leslie DMed me to compliment me on my singing voice and really encouraged me to stretch myself vocally. She actually suggested that I take lessons so that I could really make the most of my voice, and I felt a bit bad that I wasn't able to do that because I was too busy and stressed at the time, and I have only got busier since. Anyway, I wanted to pick a song that would stretch my voice a bit and this one certainly does that. The aim was to be able to do a virtuoso performance of this, but unfortunately I've had a bit of trouble with my throat this week, so the vocals are a bit weaker than I'd like. Oh well, I tried.

We had another terrific day today. Lots of songs came in and every one of them is worth watching. You are all lightening Leslie's heart and making each day very special for her, and for me.

Every single one of you has a heart of gold. The effort you all have put into this week is remarkable. Makes me proud to be a part of such a great community of people.

Thank you very much from the bottom of my heart!

See you all in the morning to catch up :)

much love from me to you, Lesley and Linda. Sorry I can't contribute a song this week due to a move, but I wish you continued happiness and continued personal fortitude. Lesley, your previous season that gave constructive criticism has been taken to heart and remains one of my favorite seasons.

Last edited:
Top Bottom