SOTU 334 Songs For Lesley (barefootgypsy)

I could not participate this week except for my song, Leslie’s song, with Dennis Danner. Such a lovely song. Even though I didn’t get something up this week, when my Ukulele arrives during my vacation in California (I ordered one so I wouldn’t have to bring it on the plane). I will finish writing the song I wrote for Leslie partially when I was with Dennis Danner and his LSW, Evelyn, and I will post it here :) Warm wishes to everyone and especially to Leslie.

Hey, BTW... Any Seasonista’s out here in the Benicia area or San Jose area I might be able to get together with?

That would be terrific Janet. I am looking forward to hearing it. I was so happy to see you participate with Dennis and Evelyn :)

Greetings,

Kind words / deeds often go unnoticed in a world hungry for negativity. Seasons is an oasis, and I am grateful to have participated. Thank you Linda for providing us this opportunity. Off to watch the vids now ��

Ciao

Thank You Gina and I quite agree. This is one place that the internet feels good among good folks :)

Hi Bonesigh, My ukulele group meets on Wed 7/18 6-8pm and you are welcome to join us. We're meeting in Belmont, CA about 45 mins north of San Jose. We're doing a 1 hr workshop on playing the basics of playing Bass and then a jam session. Here's a link for more information. https://www.meetup.com/Peninsula-Ukulele-Group/events/hrhdklyxkbxb/

Linda, I am amazed by your good heart and your enthusiasm. Leslie, my thoughts are with you, whatever that means! Both of you are beautiful people, and I am grateful for friends like you and all the amazing Seasonistas here. Great Season.

Thank You Randy. This is a great bunch of people. This community is unusual I think. But hey, I blame the uke! Good people and the uke go hand in hand :)

Leslie is a diamond among all the gems we have here!

Thank you again Linda, for being such a giving and gracious host.

And thank you Lesley for allowing us to celebrate you and your contributions to the Seasons.

Leslie has given is all a gift this week. Her songs are truly special. Here two songs at the end of this thread should not be missed!

I am deeply saddened to hear of this news with our dear friend Lesley.

Having been away from the Seasons a long time due to many things, I do not often get to check in on the theme each week.

Linda, I am humbled by your grace in bringing this tribute here as the theme this week for Lesley. You have renewed my faith in good people still being around and continuing to make the world a better place, and to make a difference in the lives of those in need.

Lesley, I will be sending happy vibes and healing thoughts to help ease your pain, and when I have some free time will try to record some of your songs to honor you. I hope you do know how much you are appreciated and loved by all here on UU. I am so sorry for what you are facing, and wish I could make it all go away...

Thank you Booli, This week was truly something special because Lesley is something special. I hope that life lets you have a little more time to do the things you love. There a lots of great people here and you among them.

xx

Somehow it seems the last few songs of a season go unnoticed so while you wait for a wrap video to show up, take a listen to these two videos.

This is Ralf playing a Lesley original. It is terrific!

and this one! Lesley can still give us some Formby style of play. This is remarkable!

That's a wrap!

I had a conversation with Lesley to see who she thought was the winner of the little Green Summerhouse Ukulele. Lesley and I agreed on one thing. That everyone is a winner! There was so much effort and kindness delivered in her behalf. She was very touched by all the Seasonista's that took the time to cover one of her originals. You had no cheat sheets to work up her songs. Having to figure out chording and lyrics was up to you. The efforts did not go unnoticed. We narrowed the conversation down to two front-runners for the win.
A tie between Mountain Goat (Jon) and Yukio (Christopher).

Jon brought a beautiful song called Comfort. That song moved us both deeply with its message and emotion. Your delivery brought tears. Your playing is superb and the addition of Lesley's photos personalized this piece in such a way that my heart and mind were taken away on a wonderful journey.

He also brought an original, Sometimes For Worse Sometimes For Better. A song he wrote especially for Lesley about riding the wave of life with light and love. This is a very moving song that touched my heart. An encouraging song for facing diversity alongside a loved one. There is a light, even when the clouds do there best to hide it. Jon is a master writer!

Jon brought a third, Moon Gazing Hare with a beautiful animation. In Lesley's own words “That video was a winner for me. The instrumentals and the video are magic! His playing tracks of the uke are incredible. His interpretation of my original came across perfectly and captured the mood in which it was written. I couldn't agree more with Lesley about this delivery. Above and beyond Jon!

I was so impressed with the efforts of Yukio. Yukio your heart shined through on every video. Your efforts in Lesley's behalf showed just what a kind hearted soul you have. You brought Lesley's original, Feathers On The Wind. Your desire to get everything just right by listening intently over and over brought a beautiful delivery. The tender treatment had a sincerity that shown through. You knew that she had written that song for someone who had struggled with an illness, but you didn't know she had written it for our Rex. You recorded that with so much feeling, emotion and heart that the message was touching and beautiful.

Your efforts on Dancing Queen was so above and beyond. That video was so fun, there is no way to watch it and not have a good time. It is a spirit-lifting, feel-good performance that brought smiles, giggles, and applause. Talk about going the extra mile!

Then you were inspired to bring Moonshadow after listening to Jon's Moon Dancing Hare. Your comments in your YT description are so thoughtful and touching.

Quote - “Most people know and like this tune by Cat Stevens. It is uplifting in the face of adversity. But I gained some deep perspective on this when I learned more about MND/ALS this week. People afflicted with this condition can lose just about everything described in this tune; the use of their feet, legs, hands, speaking voice, etc. one skill at a time as the disease progresses through the body. The moonshadows will still follow after you, but one thus afflicted needs the patient spirit of Job to keep them seeing and delighting in the moonshadows.”

I will never hear this song without thinking of your words. Your message was so heartfelt. You have an ability to deliver a song in such a way that the listener feels every word.

Jon and Yukio congratulations! Lesley is awarding Jon with the green summerhouse ukulele and I am awarding Yukio with my little purple embellished artwork ukulele. Please PM me your addresses and we will get them in the post to you.

Lesley wanted me to make sure that each one of you understands how much you have lifted her spirits, touched her heart and carried her beyond her troubles. She will continue to comment on videos and enjoy what we have brought to her. This has been a very special experience for her. I have to say that it has been very special to me as well. For a group of people all over the world to come together and do this, well, it has touched us both deeply and will linger for a long while. You are all winners. You are all the best!

Winner Playlist

Lesley's JustGiving page

Last edited:
Linda, what a wonderful wrap-up video and thank you for everything you have done this week!

Dear, dear Seasonistas! What a priceless joy you have given me this last week! And I will be continuing to enjoy for a while yet, as there are so many videos and I have not had time to watch them all… but I will! When Linda told me what she planned to do, I said that she would HAVE to choose a winner because I knew I couldn’t commit to watching the all the videos quickly enough… and I’m so sorry that I still have so many to watch! As I have said before on here, be assured that I will, and I will comment!

Every single one that I have seen so far has brought me joy. What a gift is music…it’s all I really want to hear on a radio… no voices droning on for me! And when music is carefully chosen for someone, that is so lovely, so thoughtful.

I started to watch from the earliest videos posted, then switched to making sure I saw all the covers of my own songs…I have to tell you, this is such a very special thing for me! I don’t have a bucket list but to hear my songs played and sung so much better than I can do them myself is beyond wonderful for me! Any song needs a sympathetic treatment to bring it out and you have done me proud! I have cried! In a good way! Huge thanks to everyone who did that, each one of you put a virtual garland around my neck! I have been sharing… so proud!

The originals… how very, very special are those. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. I know that there are some that I have yet to see, time has simply not allowed. This is why I wanted Linda to choose the winner… time, time, time to watch… I’ve had a lot of commitments over the course of this Season.

You brought me George Formby, though I have some still to listen to and enjoy… oh how I loved that! Formby songs and Formby people are very special. It’s all about bringing a smile and lifting morale, and those who don’t like Formby can please themselves!

You brought me another George, George Gershwin… very special to me. You caught some very special songs there… so thoughtful!

And you brought cheery songs to cheer me, and I am cheered, immensely! I even felt like doing a couple of videos… thank you for lifting me so far into what used to be normality!

In every video I see real caring and thought. What greater gift is there from one human being to another? I’m mentioning no names here… you are all winners. I mean it.

Linda has pledged a dollar to the MNDA for every video submitted, which is fantastically generous… and some of you have generously given to my JustGiving page for the MNDA as well… anonymous Seasonistas… how kind you are, what a wonderful community of people this is. Thank you from the bottom of my heart!

It has come to me lately what it is that makes the ukulele such a special little instrument… it brings people together in a way that no other instrument does. It fosters love. Thank you for yours…. And I send you all mine.

A beautiful close to a beautiful Season. Thank you, Linda and Lesley, for your eloquent words and presence. Congratulations to Jon and Yukio! :)

Thanks for hosting such a lovely week of sharing Linda! Congrats to Jon and Christopher, two extraordinarily gifted musicians and passionate souls ~ Well deserved!

Finally thanks to all who opened their hearts this week and reminded me that humankind is not entirely lost :)

a truly wonderful season, lovely closing words from linda and lesley, big congrats to the winners. very very much a "feel the seasons love" week, thank you for hosting, linda, lots of love to lesley. x

Have to agree with everyone - a wonderful week of music and a wonderful expression of the respect and affection that so many here have for Lesley. The musical highlight for me was discovering and playing Troubadour - I’m sure this special song will stay with me for a very long time. And top hosting marks to Linda, who conducted the week with kindness and sensitivity - a wonderful gesture of friendship for Lesley.

Was a privilege to be part of this weeks season. Hats off to our lovely host Linda. Hats off to Lesley who, I must admit, I hadn’t realised had written such amazing songs until this week. A fellow Brummie too :cool:. Hats off to Jon and Yukio, worthy winners. It’s been a very humbling and moving season.

Top Bottom