SOTU 334 Songs For Lesley (barefootgypsy)

I woke up this morning feeling like playing this song, cause it always makes me happy, but I also felt like playing the Dulcimer, so I combined the two, and here's what came out. Fear not though Linda, I also made sure to be "legal".....

SOTU 334: TROUBADOUR - Lesley Fowkes (2017) a cover by ddanner

Managed to sneak away a bit while we were all at Smith Mountain Lake for a long weekend. Here's my go at Lesley's "Troubadour" - Thank you Lesley for writing it, and thank you Linda and Pa for getting so many Seasonistas to share it this Season.

Dear friends....
I remain utterly overwhelmed by the kindness and thoughtfulness being sent my way this week... Each post on here moves me and the videos bring joy! I will watch each one and respond, it will take me a while...

Linda asked me to write and tell how MND (ALS) has affected me.... Wow, where do I start.... And I don't want to send you away depressed!

I noticed that walking was taking more effort on the first day of 2017. I don't mean it made me tired.... I mean that transferring weight from one foot to the other literally took more effort. I couldn't explain it. But I was concerned enough to start a regime of walks to improve my fitness. After a couple of months I noticed that I wasn't tap dancing so well, I couldn't do hopping steps any more... It was all to do with lifting the heels.... By the middle of May I was suspecting that perhaps this was something neurological. I joined a gym. Then in September I caught the most troublesome foot at the top of the backdoor steps and fell, resulting in a visit to A&E.... The doctor there recommended nerve conduction tests. Suspicions taking a more solid shape.... And returning to dancing after the summer break, I could not dance at all. It's as if the world starts to turn very slowly but quite relentlessly upside down. No doubt in my mind that I had a serious neurological illness. I wrote a song around the musings I was having about it... "Sitting in the Hallway".. I was feeling very low, unwilling to share my worst fears. I wrote several songs over a few weeks, including Troubadour.... Some remain unrecorded in my songwriting book. Dark place. The future had to be seriously rethought as I was, at that time, taking responsibility for a disabled relative... I knew I couldn't continue to do that, and started taking steps toward other arrangements. You stop making plans beyond what you think is reasonable.... That remains at a hopeful two months.... because the progression just keeps going, and anything beyond a couple of months, in my case, is unguessable, as to how I will be.... in terms of mobility and strength. By mid November my internet searches had found what I was pretty sure was the answer... MND. The mental burden of being highly suspicious but not yet diagnosed is quite something. Determined to stay cheerful and not succumb to depression.... I had series of mantras.... "Still, small voice of calm" was an early one.... Line from a favourite hymn. I'm not religious, by the way. But that helped. As I became more certain and resigned to a bad diagnosis, I adopted "Que sera sera".... A philosophical "what will be, will be..." New year was hell, because by then we knew that the nerve conduction tests had revealed a suspicion of MND... But a few days later we learned that it wasn't clear cut, and I'd have to be tested again in a few weeks. But already, I needed a hand to get up the few steps to the stage at the November convention of the GFS in Blackpool. And I chose to sit to play, because of unsteadiness. That was the last time I played on stage. So no more dancing, no more performing to the Formby folks in Blackpool.... This what MND does... It takes your pleasures one by one, and takes your life piece by piece. "One of the most unpleasant illnesses known to medical science...." Diagnosis beginning of April this year. It did not come out of a clear blue sky and that has made it easier for us to face. I am lucky that it has affected my legs first... I try not to think about what I can't do... But I can't now leave the house alone as I'm quite unsteady... Housework all very difficult... I can't get upstairs without the stairlift.... (Provided by the MNDA) And there's the knowledge that it will continue to progress to affect my arms, hands, body, breathing, talking and swallow. It doesn't make good reading, I'm sorry... but knowing that this is a terminal illness has had this effect on me... I'm determined not to be miserable, because a day spent in misery is a day wasted.... And I have to be strong for my husband and children, as they are being strong for me. My head is in a better place now that I can see the enemy I'm up against, as it were! Of course, in many ways it's worse for the family. It always is. Friends are being wonderful... They are there for us, in all sorts of ways... I could write pages about that. That people care is hugely uplifting.... And I can't describe how much you, Seasonistas, have lifted me this week! Like walking on air! Each little sign of the thoughtfulness that has gone into these words and posts has cranked me up a little higher!

I've long been a believer in counting my blessings... And I have so many to be counting now. The most wonderful, loving husband anyone could wish for, my rock for 50 years since we met.... Fantastic kids and caring friends... And I'm so relieved that I did not get this terrible disease when I was younger, as so many do....

My favourite George Formby song is this one, that sums it up perfectly... Count Your Blessings and Smile!

No words, Lesley, other than we love you and your courage and we're all with you.

my version of Lesley's gorgeous song, "Moon Gazing Hare".
Linda, thank you so much for this beautiful week.
Lesley, we love you.

Lesley, Thank you for sharing your story with us. It takes a lot of courage to open up as you have. You are such a great example of positivity and courage.

I have tried to think of a way to give a live wrap-up this week to express just how much I appreciate the fine folks here for what they have done for you. I just don't think I can manage it. I am not a good think on my feet gal. We have the rest of today and then all day tomorrow still left to go. I hope we can get as many more songs as we can in that time. I look forward to making a proud contribution on everyone's behalf. I know how important the MNDA is in your life and your future. Remember that every song is a dollar to the MNDA so please if you have time bring more.

I will bring a wrap video but these are the thoughts that I have about this week that I will not be able to say without turning into a bowl of mush.
I want to say out loud once again how much I love this place. I love all of you people. Watching you open up your hearts like you have this week I've realize how important it is to reach out to those in need. Share a little kindness and give a little of ourselves. You all have proven that it is possible to do that here. Serving Leslie in this very small way from all over the world is a very special moment here on the seasons. I've never met Leslie in person, in fact, I haven't met a single one of you in person but there is a bond that happens here. I consider many of you dear friends. We don't need to think the same way, or believe in the same things, or agree on the same things but, as humans, we do have one thing in common, the ability to do our best to be our best selves. I do feel that you all have done your best in reaching out to Leslie, some of you don't know her at all, yet you were willing. Giving just a little of ourselves to buoy up another fills me to the brim.

Lesley, I am here to cheer you on. When something like this happens, everything becomes magnified and you become keenly aware of all the little things we take for granted. We all care about you. Just know that I consider YOU a blessing. You have given us your smile, your heart, and songs that have made a mark in our hearts. Thank you for sharing them with us and letting us share them back with you.

Linda
xx

Last edited:
me having a hack at your favourite Formby tune is probably not something you want to see and hear Lesley - at least I only savaged half of it.
I can't do any of that clever Formby strumming - just not in me - but even without attempting that the song still kicked my butt. I'm a one take bloke and this took about 10 - that's how much I wanted to inflict this on you Lesley - sorry - it is done with the best of intentions and lots of positive thoughts. (I did swear quite a bit getting this done though.)

Thank you, Linda, for giving all of us a chance to celebrate Lesley's wonderfulness as a member of our little community! <3

Lesley, you've always shared your heart along with your music with us here in the Seasons. You sang a lovely version of this Gershwin classic for the 244th Season. Randy sang a sweet version this week. I found a lovely instrumental arrangement online, and did my best to get it together for you to enjoy.

Love and strength to you, Lesley!!

Last night I was watching more of the many submissions for this powerful season. Jon's cover of Moon Gazing Hare and Lesley's own words about her illness brought this song to mind. I had to cram to learn it in time, but I had to do it. I know I will never hear this song with the same feelings ever again.

This week just discovered Hans-Eckardt Wenzel and his band, a singer songwriter.
A funny song from him, easy to translate, and German locations adapted to English countrysides, e.g. London/Soho instead of Hamburg/Reeperbahn.

For more enthusiastic feelings Hawaii should be sung an octave higher ... I did avoid...

Good Morning everyone. Today is the last day. We have until midnight Hawaii time.

So far there are 136 songs on the playlist. Wouldnt it be wonderful to reach a goal of 150 for the donation. Anyone that has just one more song in them please, dont hold back!

This has been the most rewarding week!

Keep on it gang :)

Here's one more from me for your very special week here Linda. A quick take of a song that has never failed to make me happy.

I wanted to try to share a song as this Season draws toward a close... I wrote this song in March, just before we got my diagnosis.... But I had little doubt what it was going to be. So this is another one from the heart... Up til now I have only got through it once without cracking up, but you have lifted me so much I managed to get through it!

Where Eagles Fly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=To5tBFvNsko

Having trouble with the URL..... driving me nuts... what am I doing wrong all of a sudden? Help!

(I'll try to share a cheery one before the night's out!)

Last edited:
Top Bottom