SOTU 334 Songs For Lesley (barefootgypsy)

Lesley was the host for my first ever venture onto a season a couple of years back, she was very kind and made me feel very welcome, it's something I've never forgotten. The shock news that she has MND is very sad, my thoughts are with her and her family. A collab with Linda (Turtledrum) co written and produced by Jeff Lynne, one of the West Midlands' finest.

Last edited:
Way back when I host my first season, Lesley pulled it out the bag with three or four videos of pure Joy. She even brought some Slade but my favourite of hers that she did that week was this one. I defy anyone to watch that and not have a smile on their face throughout.

Here's my humble version

Last edited:
And here is a song that always puts me in a good mood even if the lyrics are a bit dark in places. The original has such an upbeat feel to it though that I'm always toe tapping to it. Was sure it was going to be the unofficial theme tune to this year's World Cup until Three Lions got a revival.

Greetings,

Well I picked an uplifting song from Lesley's covers. I hope you all like it.

Ciao
Gina

Hi, Linda! This is a happy song for Lesley ... the "blue sky" in question was filmed especially for Lesley in the garden yesterday afternoon. (I might be a bit out of sync again and I haven't got the Internet time to re-record, or, it could just be me, suffering from buffering! In any case, I'm sorry!)

Little George Formby tune tied up in a Cloverdale bow because I just can't play his style. Anyway- a charming little tune for an equally charming ukulele player. Bless.

Seasonistas! I am utterly choked to read all your kind messages, and I can't wait to watch and listen to all these videos! You are all making me feel better already! When Linda messaged me on Facebook to tell me what she was doing, I was just in tears, so moved.... And all your messages and words on here are so kind. I'm in the middle of a very full and busy few days... I said when I finally got my diagnosis three months ago that the most important things for me now are time spent with family and friends, music, and trying to spend some time looking at beautiful scenery! I'm not doing too badly on that score. Friends are being wonderful and I'm seeing quite a few this week.... hence busy... also some meetings with medics. I'm just snatching some minutes to check in and let you all know that I've been peeping at these pages, reading the posts... And I do feel quite unworthy! You are too, too kind and I do miss the Seasons and all the fun. Through last year as my symptoms grew more and more worrisome it became very difficult to find the time and motivation to focus .... My head has not been in the right place. Last October, on holiday, I wrote a song called Troubadour, Which encapsulated my anxious mood but also the stressed the importance of a good cheery song to lift the mood! Right now my fingers won't do the chords... Perhaps I'll post it here later. It's all about what you're doing.... "Sing me up a melody to chase my blues away...." And you are all doing just that! I'll be watching every single video..... and thanks, Big Thanks to Linda. Superstar..... ��

Season 334. Submission 1. "Fly Me To The Moon" (Words and music by Bart Howard, 1954)

Linda, thank you so very much for hosting and enabling us to sing to Lesley this week.

Lesley, back in March of 2016 you hosted a Season entitled "This One's for Mum!" I sang this song then for my Mum. When you mentioned liking it in your Season's Wrap, I was on Cloud 9! I still am - your words meant the world to me. As has your friendship - on the Seasons in 2015 -16 and off the Seasons this past year.

Lesley, here's "Fly Me To Moon" - this time for you. I hope you still like it. ;)

Huge hugs and much love, Linda

Here's a Bob Luman song I've always really liked, especially the picking in it. This is the type of picking that used to really intimidate me, and it was also the kind I really wanted to be able to do, and now I kinda sorta can do it, so I guess I'm advancing somewhat. Still took more takes than I'd like, but had fun trying it.

Lesley,

I'm so happy to see your message to all of us. It is a pleasure to honor you this week. Everyone is bringing you a basket full of love. This morning when I logged on and scanned through the song titles, I got a huge smile and my heart filled with joy for you!

You are a very special person. You are amazing!

xx

So here’s another uplifting song - it’s actually a football (soccer) anthem, which seems appropriate right now as the World Cup Finals are taking place in Russia, and England have made it through to the semi-finals on Wednesday. Not sure if Lesley is a football fan, but being English I’m sure she’ll know this song as it’s played everywhere in England when major tournaments take place.

Edit: I’ve just read that ‘Three Lions’ (the original version - not mine! ;) ) is once again heading for the top of the UK charts this week as the country gets behind the national team at the World Cup!

Last edited:
Cartoonist Sandra Boynton has written music and lyrics for a series of children’s albums in different genres. They’re all wonderful. For her country album ‘Frog Trouble,’ she wrote this song for Dwight Yoakum, who knocked it out of the park. My dog is pretty special, too. Hope you enjoy this, Lesley.

Here is Lesley's wonderful song - Troubadour. I've had it ready to go for a couple of days but I know that Big Daddy Uker is working on it and wanted his to be first.
It is a wonderful song written by a Troubadour Lesley!

Last edited:
Hello all. We’ve had a bad storm come through and it has knocked the power out in my neighborhood until tomorrow morning early. I wish I could make a proper comment to end this day but I’m using my iPhone to write this message. Please keep the music coming. If you’re stuck on ideas, bring whatever you want to share with Leslie. Thank you all for what you’re doing. I’ll check in in the morning.

One of the things that I have enjoyed most about the seasons is finding things that I remember from my youth but never knew the source of. Linda's prompt to play some George Formby has done it again, as i have "discovered" the source of some more of my grandfather's whistling tunes. I picked this one because there is a Rose & Crown Pub in Palo Alto that we go to for lunch sometimes. :cheers:

Thanks Linda and Lesley for helping make another of those connections. Hope your power comes back on schedule Linda.

I have never had a harder time coming up with a song to play...because this news (I have been off FB for a while because our current political state makes me less than agreeable) is just a shock to me. I am an empath (surprise), and I am beside myself that any one of us, especially our dear Lesley, is suffering from anything more than the common cold. Our vivacious friend who often brought tears to my eyes with a little mid- song profanity (s**!) and or descriptions of her “long suffering husband” should not in any way be be afflicted by anything. In any event, I really have grown to adore this lady since she first signed on (season 30?), I really do cherish that video of her and another dear friend UkeyDave bringing us a tune...
And I will match prize number two just to make sure I have at least done something to insure that we all are here, every week, because this is special. (Linda- please tell me where to send my donation)...Gang, play your asses off. We did it last week, we can do it this week.
Now someone please call a tune because I am never at a loss. Damn. I don’t really know any happy songs.
Bless up Lesley. Thanks for the smiles.

I have never had a harder time coming up with a song to play...because this news (I have been off FB for a while because our current political state makes me less than agreeable) is just a shock to me. I am an empath (surprise), and I am beside myself that any one of us, especially our dear Lesley, is suffering from anything more than the common cold. Our vivacious friend who often brought tears to my eyes with a little mid- song profanity (s**!) and or descriptions of her “long suffering husband” should not in any way be be afflicted by anything. In any event, I really have grown to adore this lady since she first signed on (season 30?), I really do cherish that video of her and another dear friend UkeyDave bringing us a tune...
And I will match prize number two just to make sure I have at least done something to insure that we all are here, every week, because this is special. (Linda- please tell me where to send my donation)...Gang, play your asses off. We did it last week, we can do it this week.
Now someone please call a tune because I am never at a loss. Damn. I don’t really know any happy songs.
Bless up Lesley. Thanks for the smiles.
Moved by your words and a lovely gesture, TCK.

From Linda’s opening post there’s this link for donations (I’ll be giving something too):

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/lesley-fowkes

Top Bottom