SOTU 334 Songs For Lesley (barefootgypsy)

An original.

I never met her, she lives a half a world away
But her sweet elfish smile always brightens my day
The pictures of her in her youth make me breathe a wistful sigh
She is the woman with the girl in her eyes

Sometimes it was hard to understand the words that she sang
I wondered if she always understood my loose Texas twang
'Cause we live in different countries, and speak slightly different tongues
But here or there, it's all the same, and the music keeps us young

Well, she writes the songs that are sincere to surprise

She can write some happy songs, and boy, she can write the blues
Either way, she always makes me smile, I swear that it's true
And she wrote some songs that make me bow my head and pray
Wishin', hopin', prayin' that she'll always be this way

Well, in every song she writes there's a truth to recognize
Yeah, she writes every song from the heart, but that ain't no surprise

SOTU 334 - A Cover of NEW YEAR LOVE SONG by Lesley Fowkes

I had recently contacted Janet Tolin (Bonesigh) about her extremely talented, animal artist daughter April. I have quite a few wildlife art books and materials that I was sure April would enjoy receiving. Upon learning of this week's theme, I suggested to Janet that wouldn't it be great if they could visit this week to check out what April might want and Janet and I could try to do a song together as a tribute to Lesley - hopefully cover one of her songs.

Thanks to a quick response from Lynda (Birds Eye) and the sharing of her song chart for Lesley's "New Year Love Song," we were able to pull it together soon after they arrived here today. Joined by Evelyn, Dave, and Janet's daughter April we "got 'er done!" We hope you all enjoy it, and that it brings a smile to your face, Lesley.

I have had such a great time today listening to what you all have brought. It is heartwarming to see the outpouring sentiment for Lesley today.

I was thrilled to see Janet. I've been thinking a lot about the veterans we no longer see here and wonder if they have seen this thread. If any of you know how to contact any of them and want to invite them to make an appearance this week that would be fantastic.

I'm hoping tomorrow continues to bring Lesley good cheer :)

Per Linda's request, here's my version of Lesley's awesome song "Troubadour". Only I did it my own way, as an instrumental on the "Finnish Ukulele', which God knows I need all the practice on I can get on it. Love the melody of this tune.

An original song for Lesley, inspired by some Japanese vocabulary.

I’m at 39 subscribers on my new YouTube channel and I’d like to get to 40 by 11:59 tonight. I’ve been adding my Seasonista friends, and I will make a donation to the Somerville Homeless Coalition in the name of the 50th subscriber. Please subscribe!

Lesley performed this song during Season 244 and Lesley has said that she and her husband are great fans of Gershwin. So - "Love Is Here To Stay" (1938).

(And note, Season 333 Wrap-up video is now posted.)

Hello!!

This is my small contribution to this beautiful tribute to Lesley. I hope everything goes well and that our love reaches you, Lesley.

A Hug from BCN

Sara

Here's some silliness. It was one take hence the clunker in the last chorus. One day I'll manage to get the words right as well.

Here's an original. I've had the first verse and the chorus written for some time but never quite managed to get the rest done so yesterday, I sat down and wrote the rest and added a tune to it this evening. It's based on a story I heard many years ago around the old belief that you should smash your egg shells when you've eaten an egg in so that the witches boats will sink and they won't come and get you. Having written it, I realised that it actually suits this week's theme so here it is for what it's worth.

Lyrics & Chords

The Girl and the Witch
Geoff Walker

Chorus
My [G]Mother said never leave your eggshell [C]whole
Or the [G]witches will come and [D7]steal away your [G]soul.

[G]It was a wild and a stormy [C]day
The [G]waves were breaking high upon the [D7]shore
A [G]girl was sat by her breakfast [C]tray
[G]About to break her [D7]eggshell as be[G]fore
[Am]When a ship in distress she saw out at sea
[Em]And a woman with baby crying save us please
Chorus

If to break that eggshell you start
My babe and I will drown in the deep sea
Now pity struck that young girl's heart
And for them to drown, well it just could not be
So she put the knife down by the plate side
And carefully she took the shell to hide
Chorus

It was a wild and a stormy day
The waves were breaking high on the shore
The girl, now a woman from home was far away
On a ship at sea battered by that storm
A mighty wave on the ship bore down
and the lady feared that she would drown
Chorus

Then a boat appeared out of the storm
It was guided by a strange lovely lady
"Come aboard my boat I will guide you to shore
As once before you saved my mother and me"
And so she was safely brought to shore
And so they parted, friends for evermore
Chorus

Chords curtesy of Pa, Words from Lesley
Improvised slow blues to fit chords and words.

Here is another Troubadour as per request ;), I used the chords Linda provided, but this uke is tuned 3 half steps down, which makes it more in my key I guess.

Thanks pabrizzer for sharing the chords and lyrics to Lesley's "Troubadour". There have been a lot of people jumping on this one and my hope is that we continue to hear more of it.

Top Bottom