LfdM super tenor build in progress

Looking good, DuD!

Looking real nice. Can't wait to see a video with you playing it. Shouldn't be too long, aye?

Luis sent me a number of pictures of the steps he takes in bracing the top. He uses lattice bracing, same as his classical guitars.

IMG_4373.jpgIMG_4375.jpgIMG_4376.jpgIMG_4377.jpg

Hi Dave!

Can't wait to see your finished instrument... Luis made me an 18 inch tenor (her name is Clara) that I just adore. I've just last week experimented with stringing it as a baritone (low D). The thomastiks are still coming up to pitch but it is sounding very nice...

Since you are an LFDM afficionado, I do hope you'll consider taking part in my birthday collage for Luis - please feel free to submit more than one photo (since I believe you have several LFDMs - my husband Adrian told me about them). Lucky you! Ideally, the photos will go on Instagram with the hashtag #lfdmcelebration but if you prefer to just post them in the thread I started, that will work too.

All the best, and congrats on your new uke! :)

Diane

I see your new baby is almost done ....the anticipation must be killing you ! It’s killing me....
I pray and I hope this is not another one of your lfdm that sing inside my head for days after I played it ! That would only mean trouble for me.
It’s looking really pretty. All the uncles and aunt are waiting !

@ Eddie Ukulele....thanks Eddie it is certainly taking shape

@luv2uke....thank you, but you might have to wait a very long time to see a video of me actually playing. Not my thing.

@ Jose de Londres...I am a big fan of lattice bracing as well, due to all the instruments of Luis's that I have had the good fortune to play

@ Doc J..... I feel the same way about Luis's bracing, a work of art indeed.

@nanlini6....Thanks Diane, I had the privilege of seeing your 18" tenor, it's fabulous. You and Adrian were missed at the party but I know you both had a previous engagement

The body is now glued together or as Luis's says "the box is closed up". Brenda with any luck it will be ready for Joseph's visit.

IMG_4387.jpgIMG_4399.jpgIMG_4400.jpgIMG_4401.jpg

A group shot of ukes with the roughed in necks in place, mine is in the middle. The one to the left is bearclaw spruce with quilted maple back and side and neck, gonna be a blonde bomb shell. The one to the right is sinker redwood and cocobolo, there is a fourth in this batch but the body was being worked on. It is being built for a friend and fellow uke club member, Alaskan yellow cedar and Hormingo.

Some people might know this others might not. The black strip in the middle of the neck is a carbon fiber rod inserted for stiffness and stability, most custom builder do this. The necks are actually made in three pieces, the main length of neck then the head stock and heel, you can see the joints.

20180817_171724.jpg20180817_171731.jpg20180817_171746.jpg20180817_171754.jpg20180817_171806.jpg

Interesting shots Dave. What a neat organized work station. Can't wait to see the finished product, I'm sure you feel the same.

Interesting shots Dave. What a neat organized work station. Can't wait to see the finished product, I'm sure you feel the same.

Thank you so much and yes Luis's complete shop is almost hospital grade in it's cleanliness and organization. He was a engineer by profession so he is very detail minded, meticulous and exacting. Just the kind of guy you want building an expensive instument for you.

More progress is being made. We picked a nice striped piece of macassar ebony for the fretboard, neck is spanish cedar. The headstock overlay is brazilian rosewood, looks great with some lighter fluid splashed on it, the colors pop.

IMG_4418.jpgIMG_4422.jpgIMG_4420.jpgIMG_4421.jpg

Luis completes the fretboard, slots are cut, radius is shaped and it is bound in curly red maple with red and white purfing. The neck will be shaped then fretboard glued down and final neck shaping to make everything flush. Again lighter fluid is splashed on to show what the colors will look once laquer is applied. That cedar top really comes to life

20180824_123622.jpg20180824_123545.jpg20180824_123609.jpg

Last edited:
Luis completes the fretboard, slots are cut, radius is shaped and it is bound in curly red maple with red and white purfing. The neck will be shaped then fretboard glued down and final neck shaping to make everything flush. Again lighter fluid is splashed on to show what the colors will look once laquer is applied. That cedar top really comes to life

View attachment 111465View attachment 111466View attachment 111467

This is looking fabulous ... looking forward to playing it! I am sure it will be sweet sounding.

This is looking fabulous ... looking forward to playing it! I am sure it will be sweet sounding.

Thanks buddy, we should have another uke party. We can welcome the new girl and play a bunch of the others. I know you are super busy but Saturday Sept. 29th is when Brenda and Joseph from Pennsylvania are coming over. Hopefully the "longggg neck" will be ready.

I though my UAS would pause with a MBU.. but then I got an Ono and a Les.. and I feel that I have not even started my journey.. sigh!
Congratulations! I envy how you could personalize this thanks to proximity!

Top Bottom