Straight, No Chaser - Thelonius Monk

Wingnutz

Reaction score
Monk was an icon of the bebop movement and this riff over blues changes features the distinctive (yet quirky) phrasing that he was famous for.

Played on my Martin T 1. I love this uke, except for the friction tuners that drive me crazy!:mad:

Last edited:
Bravo, Wingnutz! Or should I say, "Copacetic, Man"?

Really nicely done Laurence. Captured the essence of Monk.

That was Tight!

The only thing that would make this any cooler would be if you wore a fedora! Great playing.

That's a cracking tune Laurence & your playing here is truly awesome, bravo mate! If it was me, I'd stick some Gotoh UPTs on the Martin, they will take away the frustration of troublesome tuning and restore the pleasure & enjoyment of playing :D http://www.japarts.ca/_japarts_ca/Gotoh/Gotoh-Products-UPT-Ukulele.asp?Body=UPT&Button=JP1

Thanks Campbell! Yes, I am sold on the Gotoh UPT but I don't want to install them myself and I don't know any luthiers around here that I would trust, even with that simple job! :(

Bravo, Wingnutz! Or should I say, "Copacetic, Man"?

Totally....
Yeah, Monk was quite a character!

Fantastic! You got it done right.

Thank you!

Really nicely done Laurence. Captured the essence of Monk.

Well, I tried - i am convinced that Monk would get a kick out of hearing his music played on the ukulele!

That was Tight!

Thanks! My band keeps me in line!

The only thing that would make this any cooler would be if you wore a fedora! Great playing.

haha! Maybe next time...

Man. Playing that well isn't even fair to the rest of us. You are killing it!

Fantastic laurence....It's great to see you winning over the Ukulele community. Nobody plays the way you play and I am really enjoying your performances. You can choose more Thelonious for me!!!!
Mike

Wow- that's the real deal. Wonderful virtuoso playing, and you make it look easy.

I have lots of people to thank...

Man. Playing that well isn't even fair to the rest of us. You are killing it!

Thanks Sand - I think "it" is killing me, you should have heard some of my earlier takes!

Fantastic laurence....It's great to see you winning over the Ukulele community. Nobody plays the way you play and I am really enjoying your performances. You can choose more Thelonious for me!!!!
Mike

Thanks a lot Mike, I know my playing is unconventional but so far I've had nothing but support for it! The ukulele community is more diverse and well, "worldly" than other groups I have been involved with :)

I thought I just entered a jazz club. Who would have thought a ukulele can sound like that.
Your playing is fantastic !
May I ask you are those special sound proof wall panels?

Thanks Brenda! - time for another post from you isn't it? Those acoustic panels you can get from Amazon and they dampen the ambient room sound when you are recording. Actually, with ukulele I don't think they're necessary but still, they look cool - right?

Wow- that's the real deal. Wonderful virtuoso playing, and you make it look easy.

Thank you! Fortunately I was able to transfer some skills from other fretted instruments that got me up to speed sooner on the uke.

Well do I practice more or take up the radio. Excellent. WOW! Thank you Thank you Thank you.

Practice more of course! :) I think I need to go practice right now...

Golly, that's AMAZING and wonderful.
Only 137 views. Clearly, it just hasn't gone viral - yet.
But it's one for the ages!

Golly, that's AMAZING and wonderful.
Only 137 views. Clearly, it just hasn't gone viral - yet.
But it's one for the ages!
Thanks Traci for the very kind words! But all the viral videos I have seen seem to have kittens in them :)
Great playing, Laurence! Enjoyed watching your fingers dancing on the fretboard! :)
Appreciate that John! Glad you enjoyed it.

Top Bottom