Changing vorson strings

Lisakanon

Reaction score
Hi! So I'm probably going to be getting a vorson electric ukulele and have heard they aren't rlly tuned normally. What strings do I get to change them to normal tuning? Also I don't know anything abt strings so pls just answer as simply as possible bc all the answers I saw online were talking abt gauge versus heavy strings or comparing thicknesses I think and I couldn't make sense of any of it. Anyways thanks so much!

The Vorson is tuned "normally", but selecting strings can be an issue. It's a tenor scale, so that will affect which strings you use.

One solution is to order strings used on the Risa tenor scale steel string. Contact Mim if you're in the USA.

I like experimenting with different tunings. I had it tuned to GCEA (low G) for a while. Currently, I have it tuned DGBE (also linear).

You should be able to take it to a music store, let them measure the scale length, and calculate which string diameters are best for the tuning you desire.

I heard it's tuned with a high g and ukuleles usually have low g I thought

Most ukuleles are tuned high G, I know the Vorson is because I had one. Before you commit to other strings, play the Vorson as is, I'm sure it will be fine.

Mike, I found the strings it shipped with to be unbearably thin. It is my first steel-string instrument, so perhaps the lack of finger calluses affected my perception. I am much happier with better strings.
Yes, it's true that most ukuleles are tuned high G. The first post does seem to indicate that Lisa would prefer high G.

Last edited:
The perfect strings to use on the Vorson are just the DGBE (4th-1st) strings of an electric guitar set, and tune it up to GCEA (low-G).
If you want high-G, obviously just get a spare E string (the same one you use to tune to A) and tune that to high-G.

I've generally liked a Regular Light Gauge (0.010) or Super Light Gauge (0.009) set like D'addario. Also had some fun with flatwound sets too.

The Risa brand steel strings are the same as electric guitar strings too, but they tend to be a bit too heavy gauge for my liking.

Mike, I found the strings it shipped with to be unbearably thin and tinny in sound

Is this plugged in sound?
It would be pretty hard for a steel string electric ukulele to sound tinny and thin when played through an amplifier, even with the crappy stock strings.

Magnetic pickups and steel strings tend to generate a thick sound, especially through any decent amp.

Actually, by "unbearably thin" I was referring to diameter--hence my reference to a lack of calluses.
Yes, I was using a Crate Vintage Club 20 amp. Had a horrible buzz at the beginning. This was finally diagnosed as a broken tube in the amp, and fixed.
I have since had the capacitors and potentiometers changed for more of a rockabilly sound. I may, may not replace the pickups next. Perhaps instead I'll just buy an Epiphone Express.

Last edited:
Actually, by "unbearably thin" I was referring to diameter--hence my reference to a lack of calluses.
Yes, I was using a Crate Vintage Club 20 amp. Had a horrible buzz at the beginning. This was finally diagnosed as a broken tube in the amp, and fixed.
I have since had the capacitors and potentiometers changed for more of a rockabilly sound. I may, may not replace the pickups next. Perhaps instead I'll just buy an Epiphone Express.

I see what you mean. In that case, I agree.
I much prefer the "meaty" feeling of nylons than the thin wiry feeling of steel

Top Bottom