Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Distortion?

To me, one advantage of using a small amp with effects (I have a Roland MicroCube -- actually two) is that you can use it by itself or -- at least with the MicroCube (not sure about all the other options, and I haven't tried the Vox amps that Kissing recommended) -- connect it to a PA to get more volume, in which case the mini amp becomes a very simple multi-effects pedal. The MicroCube can be battery-powered, too, in case that is needed. Of course, we all like what we like (or think we need), and I bet that using a dedicated pedal provides a better effects sound.
    KoAloha tenor (Baggs 5.0) Godin MultiUke KoAloha Opio concert (Baggs 5.0) Islander laminate tenor (Pono passive) Kala Longneck Soprano laminate 12 Makala Dolphins/Sharks 1 Mahalo soprano Partridge in a Pear Tree

Quote Originally Posted by DaveY View Post
    To me, one advantage of using a small amp with effects (I have a Roland MicroCube -- actually two) is that you can use it by itself or -- at least with the MicroCube (not sure about all the other options, and I haven't tried the Vox amps that Kissing recommended) -- connect it to a PA to get more volume, in which case the mini amp becomes a very simple multi-effects pedal. The MicroCube can be battery-powered, too, in case that is needed. Of course, we all like what we like (or think we need), and I bet that using a dedicated pedal provides a better effects sound.
    My recommendation is the same. Amps like the Microcube and Voxes are the best starting point for distortion and basic effects. Even if you wanted to use pedals, you can use them with these amps.

Pedals are more for if you're after a very particular sound that is signature of that specific pedal, or if you're using it with amps that dont have much diversity of sound in itself (eg: basic tube amps).

I have pedals, but I dont find myself using them due to the amps features.

And yes, microcubes and voxes are similar in function

Thread Information