Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kala KA-SLNG Long Neck Soprano

Default Kala KA-SLNG Long Neck Soprano

Never reviewed a long neck soprano before. Sadly this one didn't do it for me

https://www.gotaukulele.com/2018/07/...o-ukulele.html
    The GOT A UKULELE REVIEWS DATABASE!

www.gotaukulele.com - uke reviews, songs, tips & tricks for beginners!

Help Support Got A Ukulele!

Ukes include (!) Kanile'a K1 Tenor, Tinguitar custom solid tenor, Ken Timms, Fluke, Flea, KM Dreadnought, Pono MHD Pro Classic

I'm a fan of this little uke, so we disagree from the start - but don't put all long necks down, as they certainly have their place.

For me it was the scale that counted, but I wanted a soprano sound rather than that of the standard concert.

I totally agree with you about the lack of room width wise, but this is a general problem with all ukes.

Anyway, if you get a chance, you might actually like an Ohana solid mahogany long neck, better sound wise, but a little more expensive.

(The scale combination that cured my UAS, was the tenor necked concert.)

All the best, & thanks for your reviews.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

Certainly wasn’t putting all long necks down, and have a couple of nice ones on my wish list. What I don’t like with this particular one is it’s still soprano width. Missed opportunity.

I don’t think it is an issue with all ukes either. You can get sopranos with more width than many tenors! Would have been easy to make this 35-36mm at the nut.

The one I’d like is one from Dave Morgan - Concert scale soprano, with nearly a 36mm nut.

Ukes include (!) Kanile'a K1 Tenor, Tinguitar custom solid tenor, Ken Timms, Fluke, Flea, KM Dreadnought, Pono MHD Pro Classic

Perhaps we should start a campaign for more space between the strings.
    Last edited by Croaky Keith; 07-12-2018 at 04:51 AM.

Oh I’d be behind that. Not sure why it started, but its connected to the massive move to Chines imports some years back. Possibly due to many being made on same production lines.

But pick up a Martin or a Koaloha soprano - and wider nut. It’s not hard to do.

One brand picking up on the dislike is Baton Rouge who recently launched a wide nut soprano

I think the long neck instruments should be called giraffe ukes

No, no, EDW, the giraffe neck is the Ohana tenor scale soprano, SK30L - & I've got one of those too.

Quote Originally Posted by Croaky Keith View Post
    No, no, EDW, the giraffe neck is the Ohana tenor scale soprano, SK30L - & I've got one of those too.

I am waiting for someone to now tell me they have a baritone necked soprano.

I bought the SLNG earlier this year - I like it and find it comfortable to play. I have small fingertips and actually didn't notice any difference in playability between this and my (proper) concert Pono. That is not to say I disagree with your assessment of the nut width, and thank you for pointing that out. Now that I am aware of this fact, no, concert scale with soprano nut width doesn't make much sense on paper or in terms of marketing. Certainly wouldn't make a big difference over a soprano for beginners with large hands (who probably are better off with tenor anyway). I wonder if this is the case for other Kala longneck models.

Why this model makes sense for my use case: I want a uke to travel with that can endure temperature swings (so laminate only), is more compact than a tenor, and is at least concert scale for playing up the neck. I was considering a Romero Creations ST Concert but that is more than double the price. Pricewise I think the SLNG is worth the $95 I paid for it, and I love the classy look of this uke.

I did notice the top is rather thick laminate and also no longer have a KA-S for comparison. There is now the Kala 15SLNG which is cheaper than the SLNG; I wonder if the sound is noticeably different from this glossy version. Some of the negatives you mentioned may be addressed by an upsize to the concert gloss KA-CG, though personally I don't love the bridge position on a Kala concert body (just seems not centered).
    Kala SLNG | concert Fluke | Pono MC | Cordoba 30T | Cordoba Mini O | Cordoba Mini R

Thanks for another great review Barry. I have the KA-SSLNG on my short list, love the thought of a Soprano with a Concert neck. I do have larger than normal hands, I will seek out a shop that has either one of these in stock so that I can get a feel for the nut width. 36 mm is the narrowest nut on any of my Ukes.
    Has anyone played the spruce topped long neck? How does it sound?

Thanks again for all of the great reviews,

Steve.

Thread Information