Will imported uke prices increase in the US from new tariffs?

Doc_J

Reaction score
Does anyone know if imported uke prices will increase in the US as a result the new import tariffs? Heard 10,000 different products were affected by the new tariffs.

I hope not.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if imported uke prices will increase in the US as a result the new import tariffs? Heard 10,000 different products were affected by the new tariffs.

I hope not.

Play it safe, save money, and buy ukes made in Hawaii. I hear there are several brands beginning with the letter K that are pretty good. :D

I hope not.

Near as I can tell from searching the list musical instruments are not on it.

John

My thought isn't instruments themselves but the materials to build them. I think that these tariffs are going to affect the cost of materials universally and that means higher prices for finished products whether they are made in the US or in other countries. That's Harley's dilemma. It isn't the motorcycles, it is the aluminum and steel that they make them out of. One other thing about tariffs is that they are designed to protect domestic goods from having to compete with lower priced overseas products. Tariffs allow domestic manufacturers relief from the competition and allow them to raise the price of their products to expand their profit margin and in theory hire more people. That isn't how it usually works, but that's the theory. So it isn't just the prices of the imports are going to go up with the tariffs, the prices of domestic products will to. So those are a lot of factors to consider.

The immediate issue is state sales tax on internet purchases. Supreme Court decision changed the requirement for a physical presence for a state to charge sales tax. Details still being worked out, but depending on where you live buying that uke online will now cost more.

John

I heard they may change the name of "The Dollar Store " to " The Dollar Twenty Store" .

Play it safe, save money, and buy ukes made in Hawaii. I hear there are several brands beginning with the letter K that are pretty good. :D

Don't forget the "K" brand built in Petaluma, CA.

Last edited:
The tariffs may raise prices on the used market eventually, depending on how much they hit components (as Riink said) and how long they’re in effect. If the price of a Chinese- or European-built import goes up 15% or so, people selling lightly used ukes may be able to get a little more for theirs.

I imagine retailers will hate this, since they may have to trim their margins to compete.

Rllink’s explanation was very good. There’s one little bit (emphasis mine) that I’d expand:

... tariffs ... are designed to protect domestic goods from having to compete with lower priced overseas products. Tariffs allow domestic manufacturers relief from the competition and allow them to raise the price of their products to expand their profit margin and in theory hire more people. That isn't how it usually works, but that's the theory. So it isn't just the prices of the imports are going to go up with the tariffs, the prices of domestic products will too.

I’d say prices of domestic products could increase too.

Tariffs give domestic producers more room to raise prices, but they are still helped even if they keep their prices the same (sometimes even more so, depending on the circumstances). If those unchanged prices are now-more-attractive relative to the now-more-expensive imports, they can sell more at the same prices, and profits of domestic producers go up (without customers feeling gouged).

But it’s all very circumstantial. And theory & outcome can vary widely.

And if the tariffs are on materials instead of products, that changes everything and prices could go up regardless. (We could start seeing more pine ukes!)

TLDR: Hard to say how this turns out. :)

I was reading an article on nutritional supplements & the tariffs, & think sone of what was said there might apply to any item that is manufactured in China or has components manufactured in China.

According to the article, some companies are holding off on plans until they know more about how this will work out. Even if the tariffs don't have a big impact, there can be other trade barriers put in place.

They note that there can be an emotional barrier too, as some people might not want to buy a product from China (if they can avoid it) while this is getting so much attention. So, should companies cut back on imports so they're not stuck with stock? Some companies are considering that.

Maybe some of this will be different for ukuleles than the supplement industry, of course, but I can see the possibility of it applying to some extent. At the very least, there is some uncertainty, which may impact decisions made by retailers.

I hope not.

Other than the fact it might kick off a bit of general inflation, I doubt it.
Of, course everything directly effected by the tariffs will more expensive so
you might not be able to afford a ukulele anymore. :uhoh:

-- Gary

I have to second Kkimura’s reply re: Petaluma, CA. While shopping for my current tenor (a Kanile’a), I demo’d a dog hair mahogany Kala Elite and was very impressed by it.

Last edited:
They started increasing last year.

I believe that wood from Canada is affected. So whether that will translate to finished goods, who knows?

It sounds like Trump is targeting the EU. And "England" if they retain ties to the EU.

Don't think instruments per say are a big enough market to be targeted, but the way things are going, it may become "all imported goods" from China will be hit. Perhaps, all imported goods period.

Don't know about other Far East countries such as Vietnam, Indonesia, Cambodia, Philippines, etc. Mexico will be affected and most likely South America.

Instruments from Hawaii will not be affected for US customers, but overseas exports almost certainly will be. Eventually.

So in the long run, the answer to your question the answer is: Yes. The tariff taxes will affect ukulele prices. (Along with everything else.)

Maybe its time to try and stock pile a few selected used ukes and see if you can get a benefit from the trade war?

Warren Buffett may try to corner the used ukulele market?

Top Bottom