Vintage Washburn Sopranos & Neck Set

BradKlein

Reaction score
Here are my two vintage Washburns. One is a UE soprano, the other a model 5317 - both mahogany sopranos, and both in very fine un-modified shape. Although the necks of both are fairly straight, both would benefit from a bit more rake in the neck set, at least to make the action as comfortable up the neck as the Martins that I've known and owned.

IMG_7286.jpg

IMG_7287.jpg

My question is whether L&H was just more conservative, or even sloppy in their neck sets? ALL those I've seen have been solidly glued, but with higher action up the neck than I would expect on an instrument that was made to such a high quality overall.

I've never had a neck reset on a uke, although I have on vintage guitars, and I'd expect to pay at least a couple of hundred dollars to have it done in the NYC area by a good luthier. On the other hand, I can get plenty done in first position...

I'm interested in the experiences of others. And curious about the neck attachment on these instruments since I've never steamed one apart.

Try contacting Jake Wildwood https://jakewildwood.blogspot.com He seems to have lots of experience with countless older instruments. He also seems to do nice work at reasonable prices.

Good idea contacting Jake. I remember that he's dealt with at least one Washburn soprano by shaving the bridge. I gather that neck resets are much rarer in the Uke world than in the guitar world - less often required due to low string tension - and less often performed when they ARE needed because the economics only work out on the more valuable instruments.

Top Bottom