Problem with new Uke?

AQUATOPAZ

Reaction score
Hi. I just got my first Ukulele yesterday. It sounds amazing except for this. The 7th fret of C sounds weird. All the other strings on all the other frets sound great except for the C stringon the 7th fret. Anyone know what could cause this? Can there be a problem on my ukulele on just one area of a fret? I am very confused as I am a newbie.

What sounds weird about it? Dead note? Resonance?

Yeah, a more thorough description would help. Sounding "weird" can really mean anything... like is there a fart sound when you play that fret? lol

What sounds weird about it? Dead note? Resonance?

It is hard to describe. Duller, with a slight buzz I guess. It sounds way off if you go through the scale on C it sticks out as not really making a true note.

Dead notes happen sometimes on stringed instruments. There have been several threads about the issue which make for interesting reading.

https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?133107-Talk-to-Me-about-Dead-Notes&highlight=wolf+note

Suggested solutions range from trying different strings, to locating a counter-weight on the soundboard, to changing the tuning, to living with it, and to swapping that ‘ukulele for a different one.

A couple of other threads are linked to within this one, and within those threads.

Of course, the least expensive solution is to change the tuning up or down a half step to see if the dead note moves as well.

Dead notes happen sometimes on stringed instruments. There have been several threads about the issue which make for interesting reading.

https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?133107-Talk-to-Me-about-Dead-Notes&highlight=wolf+note

Suggested solutions range from trying different strings, to locating a counter-weight on the soundboard, to changing the tuning, to living with it, and to swapping that ‘ukulele for a different one.

A couple of other threads are linked to within this one, and within those threads.

Of course, the least expensive solution is to change the tuning up or down a half step to see if the dead note moves as well.

Thanks. I'll try that.

Hi. I just got my first Ukulele yesterday. It sounds amazing except for this. The 7th fret of C sounds weird. All the other strings on all the other frets sound great except for the C stringon the 7th fret. Anyone know what could cause this? Can there be a problem on my ukulele on just one area of a fret? I am very confused as I am a newbie.

Take it back to the retailer & ask them to sort it out, it's very hard to diagnose these things without having the instrument in hand, just take it back :D

The buzz and "sounds way off in the scale" suggests to me that the next fret up (i.e. toward the bridge) is a bit high, uneven with the other frets, causing it to make contact with the string when it shouldn't and sharpen the note to the pitch a semitone higher, as when you fret the next higher position. Is that what you're hearing? Do you get anything similar on the neighboring strings at the same fret? You may also get a little buzz or tinny sound on the frets that are a little lower, even if they play the proper pitches.

I'm inclined to agree with Ubulele on this one. If it was a wolf note, you'd think you'd get it on the 3rd fret of the E string and the open G string (if you have high G) as well.

Top Bottom