Pismo Ukulele

UkeStuff

Reaction score
I thought I would share this with you, if you haven’t seen it...

Pismo Ukulele!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1xrYJyJOfgtNJ5yQn_mqwA

This is the work of Tom Kramer, who has a impressive résumé as a producer/writer/director. “Pismo” releases videos every Thursday, giving ukulele tips to the “pre-beginner” on his trust Lankai LU-21.

Tom generally posts about the videos on Facebook, and it is thoroughly enjoyable to watch people lose their minds.

Simply put, the videos are brilliant satire on ukulele, ukulele instruction, YouTube instructional videos, YouTube “culture,” and of course, the ukulele “community.”

To understand the series best, Tom has worked with Larry David on “Curb Your Enthusiasm,” which should say a lot.

If you get a chance, visit Pismo’s channel, go to the playlist, and be ready to be entertained. Warning: if you don’t like/understand satire, Pismo won’t be for you. If you can’t laugh at some of the silly things that we do in videos or in our “ukulele community,” you’re not going to like Pismo.

And if you like Pismo, subscribe, and tell a neighbor to subscribe, too!

I had some discourse with Tom about his videos last year. He claimed he had serious intentions and was not trying to be funny. He invited me to collaborate with him but I declined. I'm British and understand sarcasm, irony and satire but, especially as Mr Kramer states these videos are not meant to be funny, I find neither humour nor useful information.
Thankyou for your insight but I guess I still see neither his nor your viewpoint.

I had some discourse with Tom about his videos last year. He claimed he had serious intentions and was not trying to be funny. He invited me to collaborate with him but I declined. I'm British and understand sarcasm, irony and satire but, especially as Mr Kramer states these videos are not meant to be funny, I find neither humour nor useful information.
Thankyou for your insight but I guess I still see neither his nor your viewpoint.

I agree. I don't think he's attempting humor. Laughing would be laughing at him, rather than with him, but I don't see the need to laugh.

Garden gloves to help prevent the strings from hurting your fingertips!

Is he making fun of us? I kinda think he might be making fun of us.

Is he making fun of us? I kinda think he might be making fun of us.

We play the ukulele......most everybody makes fun of us. At least the generation that watched Tiny Tim. Fortunately the younger generation has embraced it ( thank you Jake). Especially as an accompaniment instrument to their singing, I love all the youtube video out there of young people playing and singing.

A couple good friends of mine loved the Larry David show and encouraged me to watch it. I did for about 2 minutes and found his humor to be absolutely not for me. I liked the first couple of years of Seinfeld, but beyond that I only watched it sporadically. I'm fully from the Tiny Tim generation, took up the uke at 63 after seeing Jake online and Iz's version of "Rainbow" and judging by the posts above, I'll pass.

I think ukuleles are fun. Hard not to smile when you play the ukulele. Also hard to take yourself real serious. I see no harm in what he's doing.

I also play the banjo, so I have heard it all.....LOL

There's nothing the least bit serious about the ukulele.....unless your intonation is off....

I watched 'em until I couldn't take it anymore. It seems pretty obvious to me that he is spoofing ukulele tutorial videos.
I'm sure he had a good time being sarcastic....
I think he's a smarta--.

Last edited:
I both understand and enjoy satire and as Barrytone has said above, we have a fine tradition of satire and deprecating humour on these isles. Either this is just a really rubbish go at it or the poor man is actually being serious. I guess I hope he's just rubbish at it as then there's a chance he'll get better?

I got so incredibly bored after a few videos and I'm a little baffled at just how many of these videos he's made, especially as it seems virtually no-one's watching. Happily, one of the recommended vids in the sidebar was Sam Muir's lovely arrangement of Like Real People Do which is just grand:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aN1y559baWc

I watched some of the vids, and got some laughs.
The comments section is pretty amusing on some of these too, with him staying in character and all.

Judging by the response in this thread, I think his humor is pretty spot on. I haven't laughed this hard at a new Youtube channel in a while! Glad this was shared.

Different strums for different thumbs. Humor, (humour for you across the Pond) is highly subjective and very generational, ethno & geographicly influenced. For instance, I never found a man dressed as a woman to be very funny. Yet, it is a staple of British humor. American slapstick and redneck humor is not very funny to me either. My wife finds scatological & breaking wind jokes very funny. Some are, some aren't to me. It's all relative. I'll check out the vids and see if they hit my funny bone.

Top Bottom