Do you dislike Mango Ukes and if so why?

CYN

Reaction score
Have been listening to the all Mango Koaloha uke in particular and find the sound really sweet and warm, clear. Wondered if anyone out there does not like Mango used in Ukes and why?

I have a mango uke. I got it because it sounded quite different to the acacia uke I already owned. It has it's own unique sound and I quite like it.

I had a mango Mainland (thanks, Mike!) and it had a sweet voice. I feel like I'm seeing mango used more and more for ukes these days.

I don't own a mango uke, but I like them. First one I ever tried was a Lanakai, it was okay. A friend of mine wound up buying it, it's her only uke, and she's quite taken with it.

I had a custom tenor cutaway uke made by Bruce Wei in Vietnam for $445 including shipping, all solid; spalted mango top and binding, flame mango body, with sound holes all the way around the bouts. I think it sounds great, lots of projection and bright with the fluorocarbon strings I added.

Spalted done montage.jpg

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 3 acoustic bass ukes, 8 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. http://www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: https://www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos

I don't like the look of the ones that I've seen pictured, so never tried one, plus I have too many ukes already, & the only ones I might buy would have to be long neck concert. :D

I have 3 mango ukes with all solid tone wood construction and love them.

Lanakai concert size TunaUke model with heavily spalted mango (foreground)
aNueNue Custom Maui Mango III tenor with straight grain mango (back left)
Romero Creations Tiny Tenor with light spalting and heavy flame (back right)

Screen Shot 2018-07-13 at 5.51.39 AM.jpg

CYN it looks like you are in the market for a mango... just get one life is too short to be splitting hairs :)

Drink a mango milkshake and play your mango ukulele that would be the life!!:)

The only thing to dislike about mango is that it's not easy to find good wood to build with. It's an excellent tone wood and often has nice figure and color. This on is on the bench right now.

28514658687_5bd8c25026_c.jpg

My daughter bought a Mainland Mango Baritone. I like it. Go get yourself one.

I own two Mango ukuleles. A Romero Creation XS Soprano and a KoAloha Mango Concert. I love the tone of both. The KoAloha smells really sweet every time I take it out if the case, added bonus!

I have two really similar Pono PC ukes, one is mango and the other is not... and I think I like the sound of the mango better! It has beautiful wood, and just to look at it makes me happy. Might sell the other one, but I'm keeping the mango model!

I have an entry-level MGT Pono mango tenor. It has the satin finish on it. I think it sounds better than my friend's Pono mango deluxe with the high gloss finish or the Pono Mango PC I played recently. But I'm biased. Mine has almost no spalting on it. It's lovely.

Have been listening to the all Mango Koaloha uke in particular and find the sound really sweet and warm, clear. Wondered if anyone out there does not like Mango used in Ukes and why?

I have been listening to the Mango KoAloha ukulele videos, (Love the sound of the concert even though I am usually a tenor guy), on HMS as well and I find the tone to be warm, sweet and seductive. I am severely tempted to pull the trigger on one even though I am trying to downsize.

I had a mango Mya Moe. It was fantastic.

I have a Mainland Mango Concert, and I love it; it's my flagship uke. Eyeing one of the Kala Concerts at Uke Republic, but I feel like I'd be cheating on my best gal.

Last edited:
Top Bottom