Where is the best place in the country for a ukulele player?

sculptor

Reaction score
My wife and I have this fantasy of selling our house in one of the most over priced areas in the country and buying a much nicer house, at a third of the pricer, in a lot cheaper area to live. I'd like an area that's really uke friendly so do you guys have any suggestions?

-- Gary

OoooKkkkkk.... Maybe I wasn't specific enough about the country, but there is that little location field over in corner of the posting and last time I checked there wasn't a California in Australia. Mind you I've visited Australia and I found it pleasant enough but changing countries is a nontrivial exercise. Of course if Trump gets bad enough I'll give you a holler and see if you can sponsor me or whatever it is you have to do to help somebody immigrate....

:cheers:

-- Gary

I live in Sonoma County CA 50 miles North of San Fransisco. We live modestly in a Mobile Home park. There are 3 ukulele groups I regularly attend and several others that I visit several times a year. Owning and caring for ukuleles is a breeze do to the climate that doesn't require a humidifier and multiple shops, luthiers and collectors to trade with. The cost of living is high but I like the community and such.

Ha,ha, I'd be more than happy to sponsor you!

We have been looking seriously at Tasmania ourselves, that's why it was the first recommendation I could offer! Good luck with your search! :D Lots of places look wonderful until you really take a close look with "Buyer's Eyes" :cool:

Give us a holler if you decide to make the move. It really is a beautiful place, although the way house prices are going, it won't be a bargain for long.

I certainly will Robin, I didn't realize you were living in Tasmania, I thought Jon Duncan aka Eugene Ukulele aka Mountain Goat was the only UUer down there :D

There is also Caspet (Peter) and Joo (Jon's wife) making a total of 4 that I am aware of.

Last edited:
I live in Sonoma County CA 50 miles North of San Fransisco. We live modestly in a Mobile Home park. There are 3 ukulele groups I regularly attend and several others that I visit several times a year. Owning and caring for ukuleles is a breeze do to the climate that doesn't require a humidifier and multiple shops, luthiers and collectors to trade with. The cost of living is high but I like the community and such.

Well, it's nice up that way except when things decide to burn... I'm pretty sure though that the houses are not any cheaper. One downside of Prop 13 is that you loose your tax lock-in so my taxes would triple if I did what amounts to a trade.

-- Gary

Well, it's nice up that way except when things decide to burn... I'm pretty sure though that the houses are not any cheaper. One downside of Prop 13 is that you loose your tax lock-in so my taxes would triple if I did what amounts to a trade.

-- Gary

Interesting to see Prop 13 in practice. I've only seen and heard about it in articles talking about it as one of the wackiest examples of taxation law in the world.

Oh, and to correct you, Prop 13 does not mean you lose your tax lock-in. It's the reason you have it in the first place. Without it, you'd be like the rest of the world where property values are reassessed every few years.

Maybe San Jose? Good population of Pacific Islanders. Down sides are the earthquake faults (unless you like moving and shaking) and high cost of living anywhere close to the Bay Area / Silicone Valley.

Florida.
It's getting more crowded every day, but is still one of the nicest places I've ever lived. It's less expensive than most places. There are modest homes for sale, in decent neighborhoods.
Right here, we have the Tampa Bay Ukulele Society, 4th largest ukulele club in America, and is very active. Just this week there were 3 events, and that's not unusual.
5 of us just started Ukers For Life, a group that plays for hospice and children in the hospital.
You can check us out on Facebook.
3 luthiers here, our Sam Ash Music store sells more ukes than any other nationwide, and another uke store on the beach.
There might be a little culture shock here, it's quite a stronghold of fans of the 45th occupant of the White House, but we stay out of their way....
Florida (sometimes I call it Floriduh) is a strange place. The farther north you go, the farther "south" you get. North Florida is very pretty and some is still unspoiled by man.
Unfortunately, Lake Okeechobee is an ecological disaster...and hurricanes can be a real inconvenience!
But, here we are....
If you love sports, we have baseball and hockey.

Try Iowa, one of the cities along the Mississippi River. Would be a wonderful retirement area.

Seattle Area. "Ukulele Mike" were born and living here. He is the reason I started learning uke.

Though I never met him in person. But I missed him a lot. I haven't checked out his website and video channel for a long time, not because I don't want to, but because it always brings me tears. May him rest in peace.

Hawaii has to be the most ukulele friendly place is the world! :shaka::D

Sun City, AZ is much more affordable, has a thriving Ukulele Club with weekly jams and in the winter lots of other things going on, so many I lose track. There are also 3-4+ other smaller jams close by. And who knows how many others across town...

Under a tree by a brook. :)

Agree, plus in any house where there is a fridge with good snacks and better beverages, a porch with a nice breeze, no complaining neighbors, and at least one dog as an at-your-feet audience.

Sun City is probably a good choice, as would be Florida and Texas. Since you are in a high price area, high tax area. look at low tax areas (FL and TX included). Places like Sun City have great mobile home parks, again a lower cost real estate option. The central part of the nation has good value too, but skip the mobile home option there -- not tornado proof. I enjoyed my years in TX and now in Tulsa

Yea, Sun City is looking good all things considered. But the dog, a nice breeze and a good fridge has appeal too -- central America is great.

Ralph

I'm guessing you are part of the San Jose club, which is considered to be one of the best. When my wife and I talk about possibly moving, although it really is only just talk, I'll go to Areavibes and get an overview if an area. I've also looked at Sperlings Best and City Data. There are forums there, but some are old posts, that give an idea.

I would think the first step is to look for clubs on the internet in different parts of the country and then research different cities. The idea of finding a base location and then travel to other areas is a good idea, if you are not looking to settle and stay put year round.

Weather, amenities, and medical need to be considered. Coming from a pretty mild climate in California may make some of the more extreme climate areas hard to adjust.

John

Agree, plus in any house where there is a fridge with good snacks and better beverages, a porch with a nice breeze, no complaining neighbors, and at least one dog as an at-your-feet audience.

OK, I'm staying home! Although at this point the pup is a bit too energetic to lay at my feet for more that 30 seconds, it seems. Squirrel!

Which is good for a ukulele player, a place where there are a lot of them, or a place where there isn't a lot of them?

Top Bottom