Southcoast String suspending sales indefinitely...

ukulelecowboy

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just received this bulletin from Dirk Wormhoudt at Southcoast Strings:

Serious health issues are forcing us to suspend string sales and there is little hope for them to resume.

As a result, we will need to refund orders currently in process. Please do not go to the website to place additional orders as they will be refunded as well.

it has been very satisfying over the last decade to supply you with strings and we hope to have made your ukulele life a bit brighter at the same time.

I don't have any more information than this.

This came as a shock as I have been using his Linear Non-Wound Low G strings on my Baritones for the last decade.

Question: Any recommendations on a suitable replacement set? Again, I'm looking for Baritone strings, Low G (GCEA) tuning with non-wound bass and treble strings.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Just heard about this down in Australia.
All the best Dirk - thanks for the fabulous strings, and great service.
You have been a bright, helpful light.
Hope the health problems improve.

Oh man, that is very sad news, especially for Dirk, but also for the ukulele community. Southcoast has been my go-to brand for years. Best wishes for better news Dirk. :(

Darn, what great strings, and what a knowledgeable, helpful and friendly guy. Hoping your health will improve Dirk. Thanks for the years of wonderful service, your sharing of knowledge and the very best of strings.

Wow - I literally just had him ship me five sets of his MU-NW strings. And I don't even know if I will use them (due to a recent change in my set-up)! Sorry to hear that.

Sorry to hear this Dirk is a nice guy and a fountain of knowledge. He has forgotten more about strings than most of us will ever know. And he had a tremendous product. I wish him well.

Dirk Wormhoudt has been one of the kindest, most supportive people I have dealt with in the ukulele world. My fingers are crossed for his recovery. Southcoast strings are by far my favourites, especially the EFS set up for the guitalele/guilele/kiku; a brilliant invention that has made that little guitar one of my instruments for improv and recordings. I will be forever grateful. Now, get well, Dirk!

I'll need advice for choosing suitable substitutes for the wonderful nonwound low tension low G strings for my tenor. I learned so much about strings from South Coast, and the customer service was the best. I wish them the best.
Joe

I had the pleasure of dealing with Dirk in 2009 or 2010 when I purchased one of his Southcoast soprano concert scale ukes (cedar top/nance back sides). Great guy to deal with and very responsive to any questions I had thru the process. He will be in my prayers that his health issues will improve.

Wow this is shocking news. As others have stated Dirk was one of a kind, so helpful, generous and genuine. A true gentleman and great ambassador of the ukulele industry and community. I wish him all the best and hope he triumphs over his health issues.

His HML-WB are my go to string, I have them on 5 tenors and a super concert. They will be tough to replace but Dirk the man will be even tougher to replace. He will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Last edited:
Sad news. It is always difficult to hear when life takes a bad turn for someone. In the musical sense, Dirk offered a great product, a very unique service and a wealth of knowledge.

I got the same email notification too. I don't know of anyone who is more passionate about the science of strings for the ukulele. Thank you Dirk for your knowledge and years of service. Wishing you the best in your recovery.

Sad to hear this news from Dirk. His deep knowledge of the history and workings of ukulele, and his enthusiasm for the art of ukulele has contributed so much to my enjoyment of music. I have read his website many times and always found it informative and extremely helpful. I have used only his strings for some years now. While you're attending to what you need to do your contribution will be missed Dirk.
ukebebop from Australia.

Last edited:
I never got to meet Dirk, but I too learned so much from him. I enjoy his writings very much. I had a set of Southcoast strings on one uke, unfortunately I didn't get to keep that uke. But the strings sounded and felt great.
Southcoast will be missed, this is a hard hit to the ukulele world.....

Hope Dirk can regain his health. Very sad to see SouthCoast suspend their string business. Hope this is temporary.

I got the email from SouthCoast this morning. It was a shock. Not only did Dirk put together a large variety of string sets, the education and customer service he provided was un-matched. I wish him all the best in his health battles and will miss SouthCoast Srrings a bunch.

Top Bottom