Intermediate uke rec question

trsarah

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Been playing for a few years now, but I would still say I'm only an advanced beginner. Ukes I've had:
-Makala Waterman (still have for my daughters to play with)
-Cordoba 15tm (Still have and play often. for 100 bucks new I'm happy with it.)
-Cordoba 20tm (I loved this one, but it became super buzzy and annoying, and apparently would have needed a significant fix, so I gave it to a friend. Also felt a little too mellow after a while, but I did have it in low G.)
-Pono PCO (bought this here, sold it here). It was an early Pono model, I gather, though I couldn't find much about it. Sweet-sounding, but also extremely quiet and far too mellow to me. It also weighed a ton. Don't know if it was just that model, or that's how Ponos/solid wood instruments are.

I'm considering upgrading in the next couple of months to either a Mainland or a Pono. My max budget is 400 for everything. I'm used to playing a tenor, just because I like the sound. I'm not sure mahogany is the best match for me? Was thinking maybe red cedar or acai? Also I'm not a huge fan of the rope decals of the Mainland (just me!), so I prefer the simplicity of the Ponos. Resellability is also a factor, as my husband is (gulp) not going to be super enthused about me buying yet another uke!

Thanks in advance, everyone.

Last edited:
You'll get a lot of love for the Ponos on these boards. I have a spruce topped Pono tenor myself, a 2018 model. It is heavier and quieter than my other spruce topped tenor (in fact quieter than my other ukes full stop) so if you found Pono too heavy and quiet first time around, I would advise caution if thinking going Pono again as that may just be the characteristics of them. They don't have the punch and in-your-face volume that some others have but mine, anyway, has a very clear and refined tone.

Never played a Mainland so can't comment there I'm afraid.

Thanks Jim, that is super, super helpful. I really do prefer something lighter weight and a bit louder for sure, so maybe Ponos aren't for me.

If you are looking for punch and volume you might want to consider a spruce top. I too had a Pono and ended up selling it. It sounded great but I found I didn't really like tenors and the plain look of Ponos with no binding and such left me disappointed with the overall look. It was definitely the heaviest of my ukes but all I've played other than that one were concerts so it's kind of comparing apples with oranges but allowing for that, it did seem a bit heavy though not in a burdensome way. I've been happy with my Ohanas and my Kala which is a spruce top and the brightest and loudest among my ukes.

I have the Mainland Mahogany tenor with the rope binding and love it. They have a spruce/mahogany with the rope binding. I am normally a plain uke person, but I really like the binding.

I'm with you on not wanting rope binding, much prefer plain wood, (with maybe a tasteful rosette).

Acacia is slightly louder than mahogany, but it also has a kind of crispness to its tone, I was quite surprised when I got mine, as I thought it might have been too bright sounding, but I find it isn't, I like it.

Spruce is brighter still, normally, & my cedar top is also slightly brighter than mahogany, but has a great tone.

My present favourite is acacia, but I suggest you take a listen to all three woods, & make your own comparison.

Brands to look at, Kala, Ohana, KoAloha.

Thank you, everyone!

I think in reading more about Ponos vs other ukes, I realize in hindsight that the issue was the neck. I found the neck too thick, so I guess Ponos aren't a good match for me. Thanks for all the brands and recs!

I think I'm at a similar level of playing experience trsarah. I just bought what I think of as my first serious uke; a KoAloha Opio Concert (solid acacia). I just love it to death. I know that's much more $$$ than you want to spend, but the main point I want to make is that I love the sound of acacia. You might, too.

I think I'm at a similar level of playing experience trsarah. I just bought what I think of as my first serious uke; a KoAloha Opio Concert (solid acacia). I just love it to death. I know that's much more $$$ than you want to spend, but the main point I want to make is that I love the sound of acacia. You might, too.

Thanks, everyone! This was so helpful. Oh my goodness, Junie Moon that is my dream uke, so glad you love it! Someday maybe.

Actadh, actually the more I compare the Mainlands to Ohanas, the more okay with the rope binding I am!

I now own three tenors: a Kanile'a Islander, solid mahogany MST4, a Pono Acacia Tenor Deluxe, and a Cordoba 24T

Of those, my favorite is the Cordoba... not only for its tone and volume (nice and loud) but also because it's gorgeous ( spalted maple, red padauk binding, solid cedar top) and it's as light as a feather... seriously light, it weighs 3 ounces more than my Mainland mahogany soprano. It's also the least expensive... less than $200 new, at Guitar Center.

I find the Pono is very sweet sounding but quiet and very heavy. I'm not a fan of the neck profile and nut width either. I find the neck too thick and the nut width too thin.

The Cordoba, otoh, has the easiest playing neck I've ever encountered on a ukulele. I'm so impressed with it that, as I write this, I'm listening for the van that will deliver my Cordoba 24B... the same uke in baritone. ... and I can easily imagine buying yet another one in concert size.

The Islander is second favorite... nice uke but I had to do a lot of setup work, fitting it with a new bone nut, etc. before I had it dialed in right.

The Cordoba's setup was nearly perfect right out of the box... One day I might dress a ragged fret end or two... but hey, you'll find that on lots of ukes.that cost a whole lot more

Last edited:
Top Bottom