end pins or strap buttons?

Swamp Yankee

Reaction score
Assuming one has the proper tools for the job; is there any particular reason why installing a strap button on the end is preferable to installing an end pin? I see far more ukes with strap buttons on the butt than end pins, and it seems to me that the button is the uglier way to do it.

If you’re talking about old style ivory end pins, and not for a pickup, I believe that those vintage end pins require a tapered hole, while a strap button is easier to install, just a pilot hole for the screw. Of all the strap buttons, I think the smaller Gibson style, in black, look best. Nothing worse than a huge honkin guitar strap button, especially on a small soprano.

that's what I meant by "proper tools" ... tapered reamer and peg shaper, all of which I have. Also, I was thinking of a mandolin end pin, probably in ebony.

I'm thinking you're right..the reason I don't see it done so often might be because many are user installed and many DIYers don't have the tools.

Last edited:
I'd trust a screw more than an end pin in a tapered hole. But, ukes are so light, it probably doesn't matter.

I prefer strap buttons because I find the end pins don't hold the strap as well, the strap slipped off of the end pin I had. I get slightly smaller strap buttons online.

I prefer strap buttons because I find the end pins don't hold the strap as well, the strap slipped off of the end pin I had. I get slightly smaller strap buttons online.

That is a consideration, though I've had store bought straps jump off of strap buttons on acoustic guitars as well. I make my own leather straps so I have good control over strap hole size and leather thickness and pliability.

I'd trust a screw more than an end pin in a tapered hole. But, ukes are so light, it probably doesn't matter.

If one likes that end pin setup and are worried about it, why not just put a dab of glue on it so you won't have the problem of it slipping out?

I've always liked Bob Colosi (http://www.guitarsaddles.com/products.asp) his bridge pins/end pins/strap buttons are amazing. I love the Fossilized Walrus products. I've got a set of both bridge pins and end pin for my guitar. They are so gorgeous. I'm thinking of getting a strap button in Fossilized Walrus for my uke but I just can't justify putting a hole in a high end uke no matter how small and "safe" it is to do. It's like surgery 99.999% of the time it goes just fine then you have my .0001% time and the wood cracks and dang it &#^(@*)# firewood. Not because of the crack from the job but because I put my foot through my uke because so much anger in so small an area can't be contained.

I've always liked Bob Colosi (http://www.guitarsaddles.com/products.asp) his bridge pins/end pins/strap buttons are amazing. I love the Fossilized Walrus products. I've got a set of both bridge pins and end pin for my guitar. They are so gorgeous. I'm thinking of getting a strap button in Fossilized Walrus for my uke but I just can't justify putting a hole in a high end uke no matter how small and "safe" it is to do. It's like surgery 99.999% of the time it goes just fine then you have my .0001% time and the wood cracks and dang it &#^(@*)# firewood. Not because of the crack from the job but because I put my foot through my uke because so much anger in so small an area can't be contained.

It might help if you limited your coffee consumption for a few days before attempting the installation of an end pin on a uke. Likewise, don't watch any TV news broadcasts other than local, and even avoid local news if they provide information on the stock market. ;)

Could you please tell me where to look for the smaller strap buttons (10mm, perhaps)? Most I’ve found so far are either larger or are not identified clearly enough that I want to take the chance.

Black Dog Music in the UK appears to have them, but I’m hoping for a US source.)

Thanks!
~ S.

Could you please tell me where to look for the smaller strap buttons (10mm, perhaps)? Most I’ve found so far are either larger or are not identified clearly enough that I want to take the chance.

Black Dog Music in the UK appears to have them, but I’m hoping for a US source.)

Thanks!
~ S.

I've used these Stew-Mac buttons on a lot of instruments. The snakewood one matches my Martin T1K nicely.

Assuming one has the proper tools for the job; is there any particular reason why installing a strap button on the end is preferable to installing an end pin? I see far more ukes with strap buttons on the butt than end pins, and it seems to me that the button is the uglier way to do it.

It seems that some people are concerned with not having an ugly butt. ;) If I'm using a strap, I have a button on each end. If people care what my butt looks like, too bad! ;)

I installed the Waverly snakewood button on my doghair and it's really nice, albeit I wish the screw was inset a bit deeper.

kala_doghair_strap_button_1834sm.jpg

It seems that some people are concerned with not having an ugly butt. ;) If I'm using a strap, I have a button on each end. If people care what my butt looks like, too bad! ;)

I'm the same way. Unless it was a high end uke I don't think people really notice anyway.
I liked these, just cuz, but everyone's taste is different. Hope you find one you like. I just use it on the end and use a tie on the headstock.
https://www.stewmac.com/parts-and-hardware/strap-buttons/daddario-planet-waves-elliptical-end-pins.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=2021-02-gp&gclid=Cj0KCQiA7NKBBhDBARIsAHbXCB5VzW-dlSJYnRBYw_RHFFiC5KcSSAsRi3V7OoSHOx7wi6MFBHPUzXMaAqPCEALw_wcB

Top Bottom