Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: end pins or strap buttons?

Default end pins or strap buttons?

Assuming one has the proper tools for the job; is there any particular reason why installing a strap button on the end is preferable to installing an end pin? I see far more ukes with strap buttons on the butt than end pins, and it seems to me that the button is the uglier way to do it.

If you’re talking about old style ivory end pins, and not for a pickup, I believe that those vintage end pins require a tapered hole, while a strap button is easier to install, just a pilot hole for the screw. Of all the strap buttons, I think the smaller Gibson style, in black, look best. Nothing worse than a huge honkin guitar strap button, especially on a small soprano.

that's what I meant by "proper tools" ... tapered reamer and peg shaper, all of which I have. Also, I was thinking of a mandolin end pin, probably in ebony.

I'm thinking you're right..the reason I don't see it done so often might be because many are user installed and many DIYers don't have the tools.
    Last edited by Swamp Yankee; 07-13-2018 at 06:07 AM.

I'd trust a screw more than an end pin in a tapered hole. But, ukes are so light, it probably doesn't matter.

I prefer strap buttons because I find the end pins don't hold the strap as well, the strap slipped off of the end pin I had. I get slightly smaller strap buttons online.

Quote Originally Posted by Ukecaster View Post
    I'd trust a screw more than an end pin in a tapered hole. But, ukes are so light, it probably doesn't matter.
    and yet, end pins in tapered holes are standard on many high end acoustic guitars... and those are much heavier.

Quote Originally Posted by kohanmike View Post
    I prefer strap buttons because I find the end pins don't hold the strap as well, the strap slipped off of the end pin I had. I get slightly smaller strap buttons online.
    That is a consideration, though I've had store bought straps jump off of strap buttons on acoustic guitars as well. I make my own leather straps so I have good control over strap hole size and leather thickness and pliability.

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Yankee View Post
    I see far more ukes with strap buttons on the butt than end pins, and it seems to me that the button is the uglier way to do it.
    If you want prettier buttons, there are several suggestions here: https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...n-strap-button
    Ukulele:
    Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - A, WoU Clarity
    Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    Rogue bari
    Bonanza super tenor, cFAD SC LHU
    Kala KSLNG, Eb SC XLU
    Hanson 5-string tenor, dGCEA
    Bonanza SLN GCEA
    Southern Cross concert GCEA
    Guitars:
    Jupiter #47, G, TI CF127
    Pelem, B reentrant
    Jupiter #71, A, UG1

!Flukutronic!

Quote Originally Posted by Ukecaster View Post
    If one likes that end pin setup and are worried about it, why not just put a dab of glue on it so you won't have the problem of it slipping out?
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hanks View Post
    If you want prettier buttons, there are several suggestions here: https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...n-strap-button
    They sure do have some pretty options. Thanks!

Thread Information