Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: end pins or strap buttons?

I've always liked Bob Colosi (http://www.guitarsaddles.com/products.asp) his bridge pins/end pins/strap buttons are amazing. I love the Fossilized Walrus products. I've got a set of both bridge pins and end pin for my guitar. They are so gorgeous. I'm thinking of getting a strap button in Fossilized Walrus for my uke but I just can't justify putting a hole in a high end uke no matter how small and "safe" it is to do. It's like surgery 99.999% of the time it goes just fine then you have my .0001% time and the wood cracks and dang it &#^(@*)# firewood. Not because of the crack from the job but because I put my foot through my uke because so much anger in so small an area can't be contained.

Quote Originally Posted by subtlestrum View Post
    I've always liked Bob Colosi (http://www.guitarsaddles.com/products.asp) his bridge pins/end pins/strap buttons are amazing. I love the Fossilized Walrus products. I've got a set of both bridge pins and end pin for my guitar. They are so gorgeous. I'm thinking of getting a strap button in Fossilized Walrus for my uke but I just can't justify putting a hole in a high end uke no matter how small and "safe" it is to do. It's like surgery 99.999% of the time it goes just fine then you have my .0001% time and the wood cracks and dang it &#^(@*)# firewood. Not because of the crack from the job but because I put my foot through my uke because so much anger in so small an area can't be contained.
    It might help if you limited your coffee consumption for a few days before attempting the installation of an end pin on a uke. Likewise, don't watch any TV news broadcasts other than local, and even avoid local news if they provide information on the stock market.
    Sopranos: aNueNue Khaya Mahogany 1, Bruko No. 6; Kiwaya KS-1; Kiwaya KTS-4; Kiwaya KTS-4K; Martin S-O
    Concerts:Cahaya CY-0112; Kiwaya KTC-1; Kiwaya KPC-1M; Kiwaya KCU-1, Takumi TC-1M, Takumi TC-3K, Musicguymic’s Kolohe
    Tenors: Cordoba 24T; Kiwaya KTT-2K
    Baritones: Cordoba 24B

Quote Originally Posted by kohanmike View Post
    I prefer strap buttons because I find the end pins don't hold the strap as well, the strap slipped off of the end pin I had. I get slightly smaller strap buttons online.
    Could you please tell me where to look for the smaller strap buttons (10mm, perhaps)? Most I’ve found so far are either larger or are not identified clearly enough that I want to take the chance.

Black Dog Music in the UK appears to have them, but I’m hoping for a US source.)

Thanks!
    ~ S.

Quote Originally Posted by Spieler View Post
    Could you please tell me where to look for the smaller strap buttons (10mm, perhaps)? Most I’ve found so far are either larger or are not identified clearly enough that I want to take the chance.

Black Dog Music in the UK appears to have them, but I’m hoping for a US source.)

Thanks!
    ~ S.
    I've used these Stew-Mac buttons on a lot of instruments. The snakewood one matches my Martin T1K nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Yankee View Post
    Assuming one has the proper tools for the job; is there any particular reason why installing a strap button on the end is preferable to installing an end pin? I see far more ukes with strap buttons on the butt than end pins, and it seems to me that the button is the uglier way to do it.
    It seems that some people are concerned with not having an ugly butt. If I'm using a strap, I have a button on each end. If people care what my butt looks like, too bad!
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

I installed the Waverly snakewood button on my doghair and it's really nice, albeit I wish the screw was inset a bit deeper.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    It seems that some people are concerned with not having an ugly butt. If I'm using a strap, I have a button on each end. If people care what my butt looks like, too bad!
    I'm the same way. Unless it was a high end uke I don't think people really notice anyway.
    I liked these, just cuz, but everyone's taste is different. Hope you find one you like. I just use it on the end and use a tie on the headstock.
    https://www.stewmac.com/parts-and-ha...MaAqPCEALw_wcB

Iluak fine instrument fittings...screw on, with no screw showing. Very nice selection

You could always install a strap button. Then if you don't like it you already have a pilot hole started for the endpin hole.

Thread Information