Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Through the bridge restringing – knot or beads?

Default Through the bridge restringing – knot or beads?

I've got a through the bridge uke and wondered if people here just use a knot in the string, or use a glass bead?

I have some 4mm glass beads, but I wondered if using beads inside the body of the uke might potentially cause any damage, or change in tone? Or indeed, are beads better and more likely to hold the tuning, than simply knotting the strings?

Quote Originally Posted by Strumaround View Post
    I've got a through the bridge uke and wondered if people here just use a knot in the string, or use a glass bead?

I have some 4mm glass beads, but I wondered if using beads inside the body of the uke might potentially cause any damage, or change in tone? Or indeed, are beads better and more likely to hold the tuning, than simply knotting the strings?
    The string-through uke that I own came with beads, so that's what I use. If it didn't then I would just use knots. I don't think it really makes a difference.

I have a few ukes with string through bridges. I have used both beads and knots alone in the strings with equally good results. I think beads are probably better because it will distrubute the pressure evenly from string to strings. They prevent the possiblity of pull through on the thin A string
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields walnut pineapple super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Enya Nova *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

Quote Originally Posted by Strumaround View Post

I don't like the strings being held in place by just a knot. That's my one objection to bridges that Martin and many others use. I have older ukes with worn bridges, and I need large knots. I like through-the-top strings, and I like having beads, rather than knots.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Beads are a bit more work than just knots, but I believe they offer more stability.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    I don't like the strings being held in place by just a knot. That's my one objection to bridges that Martin and many others use. I have older ukes with worn bridges, and I need large knots. I like through-the-top strings, and I like having beads, rather than knots.
    I think the same as Jerry, I dislike strings just being held by a knot. It feels unsecured especially on the A string. I cringed when I needed to tune it up during the break it period.
    A day without playing uke is a day not well lived.

https://www.youtube.com/user/lapyang

Joseph

Not to venture too far off the topic, but what size and where are you beads users using and purchasing from? Is 4mm about the standard? Do these fit in the soprano Martin style slotted bridges or only string through style? Thanks.

On my Tiny Tenor I’ve tied both knots and beads. They both work fine. I agree with Dave, the beads I think are more stable and I have had a A string pull thru. I also use the string tie block on other tenors and may pick up a set for the TT. They are so simple with a few loops and bam, You are done. I like the idea of distributing the pressure.

Forgive my inexperience. I've only seen what I'll a call the Martin style bridge with a groove at the rear edge, and the much rarer, pin bridge used on high end Washburns (functions like a steel string guitar with pins through the bridge and top). Is there a third (fourth? fifth?) type?
    BradKlein
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

I save the ball ends from my used viola strings to use as "beads" with my Tiny Tenor.

bratsche
    A bunch of stringed instruments tuned in fifths. And a bunch of cats!

"There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!

Thread Information