Through the bridge restringing – knot or beads?

Has anyone tried using overhand loops as stopper knots in the thin strings when using the blasted ferrules that usually come with pin or through-string bridges? I'm looking for something even bulkier than Ashley stopper knots, so I don't have to tie the strings to the ferrules (or go hit-and-miss shopping for beads). I tied a spare string of the thinnest gauge I use into an overhand loop, and it appears the knot would be bulky enough, but my ferrules are all in use and I'm not ready to change strings again, so I haven't run a test...

With the thin strings, I just tie a figure 8 stopper, slip the ferrule on and then feed the free end back through the ferrule twice and cinch it tight. The result is three widths of string all jammed into the hole in the ferrule and it holds tight.

Oh.. and for added security, I also light a candle and carefully melt a "mushroom" on the tag end after tying the stopper....that way the stopper knot is less likely to slip....essentially I'm melting a stopper knot for my stopper knot

Last edited:
Top Bottom