Through the bridge restringing – knot or beads?

Strumaround

Reaction score
I've got a through the bridge uke and wondered if people here just use a knot in the string, or use a glass bead?

I have some 4mm glass beads, but I wondered if using beads inside the body of the uke might potentially cause any damage, or change in tone? Or indeed, are beads better and more likely to hold the tuning, than simply knotting the strings?

I've got a through the bridge uke and wondered if people here just use a knot in the string, or use a glass bead?

I have some 4mm glass beads, but I wondered if using beads inside the body of the uke might potentially cause any damage, or change in tone? Or indeed, are beads better and more likely to hold the tuning, than simply knotting the strings?

The string-through uke that I own came with beads, so that's what I use. If it didn't then I would just use knots. I don't think it really makes a difference.

I have a few ukes with string through bridges. I have used both beads and knots alone in the strings with equally good results. I think beads are probably better because it will distrubute the pressure evenly from string to strings. They prevent the possiblity of pull through on the thin A string

I don't like the strings being held in place by just a knot. That's my one objection to bridges that Martin and many others use. I have older ukes with worn bridges, and I need large knots. I like through-the-top strings, and I like having beads, rather than knots.

Beads are a bit more work than just knots, but I believe they offer more stability.

I don't like the strings being held in place by just a knot. That's my one objection to bridges that Martin and many others use. I have older ukes with worn bridges, and I need large knots. I like through-the-top strings, and I like having beads, rather than knots.

I think the same as Jerry, I dislike strings just being held by a knot. It feels unsecured especially on the A string. I cringed when I needed to tune it up during the break it period.

Not to venture too far off the topic, but what size and where are you beads users using and purchasing from? Is 4mm about the standard? Do these fit in the soprano Martin style slotted bridges or only string through style? Thanks.

On my Tiny Tenor I’ve tied both knots and beads. They both work fine. I agree with Dave, the beads I think are more stable and I have had a A string pull thru. I also use the string tie block on other tenors and may pick up a set for the TT. They are so simple with a few loops and bam, You are done. I like the idea of distributing the pressure.

Forgive my inexperience. I've only seen what I'll a call the Martin style bridge with a groove at the rear edge, and the much rarer, pin bridge used on high end Washburns (functions like a steel string guitar with pins through the bridge and top). Is there a third (fourth? fifth?) type?

I save the ball ends from my used viola strings to use as "beads" with my Tiny Tenor.

bratsche

The Enya I purchased last year came with metal ball ends (as found on steel strings), but I thought I'd try just using knots instead. Big mistake, as the knots got stuck in the holes, and were a real pain to get out. After that experience I would only use a bead or ball end.

Not to venture too far off the topic, but what size and where are you beads users using and purchasing from? Is 4mm about the standard? Do these fit in the soprano Martin style slotted bridges or only string through style? Thanks.

I buy my beads at crafts stores like Micheal's. A string of beads (about 50 counts) costs about 2-3 dollars.

If I ever got one of those ukuleles, I would just use an ashley/stopper knot. My current ukuleles have the hole through the bridge (although not the hole down into the sound board) and I suppose I could use a stopper knot for them but I just use the regular figure-eight knot such as is demonstrated from around 3:25 of this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWXzUTXx80s

I use 4mm on my slotted Maton, because they fit nicely in the 'groove'. But I'm thinking that that may be too small for a through the bridge?

Also, is something flatter/disc shaped, rather than round a better option for sitting flat up against the inside soundboard of the body of the uke?

If I ever got one of those ukuleles, I would just use an ashley/stopper knot. My current ukuleles have the hole through the bridge (although not the hole down into the sound board) and I suppose I could use a stopper knot for them but I just use the regular figure-eight knot such as is demonstrated from around 3:25 of this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWXzUTXx80s

Being a sailor myself, the Ashley Stopper knot is of course the knot I tried, but the bridge plate was so soft that the knots still got caught. I can't see any downside to using a bead, so why not use one?

https://www.animatedknots.com/ashleystopper/

Being a sailor myself, the Ashley Stopper knot is of course the knot I tried, but the bridge plate was so soft that the knots still got caught. I can't see any downside to using a bead, so why not use one?

https://www.animatedknots.com/ashleystopper/

No reason whatsoever. And if a bead doesn't work, try a washer or a flange; do whatever you need to.

What I did find, is that small wooden beads often shattered when the strings were tightened. I'm wondering if plastic/silicon/other artificial material might be best?

Beads for me on my one string-through instrument. It came that
way and I have kept to the set up it had on completion! It is a
hand built sopranino made by a talented friend of mine, and what
he decided works, worked for me too!

I buy my beads at crafts stores like Micheal's. A string of beads (about 50 counts) costs about 2-3 dollars.

I use 4mm on my slotted Maton, because they fit nicely in the 'groove'. But I'm thinking that that may be too small for a through the bridge?

Also, is something flatter/disc shaped, rather than round a better option for sitting flat up against the inside soundboard of the body of the uke?

Thanks for the tips!!

Top Bottom